Wikiposts

Guy Fawkes

Old Nov 4th 2005, 11:56 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Guy Fawkes

I hate Bonfire Night..that is definitely one thing I wil not miss!

Scares the shit outta my horses and dog! Have to spend most of the night in my horses stable calming him down!! Grrrrrrrrr
Old Nov 5th 2005, 12:02 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Also tell her that, like me, she'll be going from a nasty winter birthday to a glorious mid-summer one!!
Hee Hee, that cheered her up Pool parties beckon
Old Nov 5th 2005, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

This was something I really missed last year, when we first arrived. The only comparable thing is Australia day, but then that's hot and there aren't any bonfires.
My mate is having bonfire night with a brazier, sparklers, pork pies and mushy peas (weird Northern food!). I've got some sparklers left over from Aussie day but the kids are in bed now, and last time I used the brazier to burn some boxes, I got really paranoid about bushfires and smoke and hosed the fire out!
We had a great campfire out in the country, on my mates property. On larger blocks of land I think you're allowed to burn if you have a permit, depends on the time of year too, but you just can't do it in the suburbs.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 1:44 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Larissa
This was something I really missed last year, when we first arrived. The only comparable thing is Australia day, but then that's hot and there aren't any bonfires.
My mate is having bonfire night with a brazier, sparklers, pork pies and mushy peas (weird Northern food!). I've got some sparklers left over from Aussie day but the kids are in bed now, and last time I used the brazier to burn some boxes, I got really paranoid about bushfires and smoke and hosed the fire out!
We had a great campfire out in the country, on my mates property. On larger blocks of land I think you're allowed to burn if you have a permit, depends on the time of year too, but you just can't do it in the suburbs.
So you can buy sparklers out there then? thought they would be banned too.

Had a fab bonnie night I will miss it
Old Nov 7th 2005, 5:05 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sharpy67
and why would they? As previously mentioned its an English/British custom. Most Australians probably couldn't give a s**t cept the fact it failed!
Apparently they do it in South Africa, though this is largely based on the childhood memories of my South African ex girlfriend, who was actually born in Zim, so perhaps it's best to ignore this post, which, to be fair, had little point other than to suggest that other countries may celebrate our flakey old customs.

I'll get my coat.

Still, it's unlike the Aussies not to hijack one of our celebration days and then turn it into a public holiday just to annoy us

S
Old Nov 7th 2005, 5:11 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Guy Fawkes

Originally Posted by possoms
There was a thread a while back about Halloween, and I am sure peeps said no bonfires cos of the risk of bush fires. Nt sure about firework displays though? thing is its an english custom so wouldnt have thought they would celebrate it.

I love bonfire night I got me sparklers ready for tonight cant wait
It's called Bonfire Night, and we've celebrated it ever since we were colonised AFAIK, so no need to hijack it in the first place.

We've simply chosen to retain it as a legitimate part of our British heritage.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It's called Bonfire Night, and we've celebrated it ever since we were colonised AFAIK, so no need to hijack it in the first place.

We've simply chosen to retain it as a legitimate part of our British heritage.
so you do have bonfire nights in OZ sorry dont understand why you are quoting me here, nor what you are saying

Last edited by possoms; Nov 7th 2005 at 8:45 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 8:53 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute

so you do have bonfire nights in OZ sorry dont understand why you are quoting me here, nor what you are saying
Yes, we do have bonfire nights.

I am quoting you because you said "think is its an english custom so wouldn't have thought they would celebrate it."

I am simply pointing out that we do celebrate it.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 9:12 pm

I am quoting you because you said "think is its an english custom so wouldn't have thought they would celebrate it."

well I stand corrected yet again, I was only quoting what someone had posted earlier re Halloween they said you couldnt have them due to bush fires.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=17

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...9&postcount=18
Old Nov 7th 2005, 9:16 pm
Fighting my corner

well I stand corrected yet again, I was only quoting what someone had posted earlier re Halloween they said you couldnt have them due to bush fires.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=17

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...9&postcount=18
As a general rule of thumb, it's best to ignore at least 40% of the stuff some people say about Australia because they're very often wrong - whether accidentally or otherwise.

Oh, and just where do they think Aussies live - deep in the outback somewhere? We DO have suburbs, you know - and there's not much chance of starting a bushfire there!
Old Nov 7th 2005, 9:21 pm

As a general rule of thumb, it's best to ignore at least 40% of the stuff some people say about Australia because they're very often wrong - whether accidentally or otherwise.

Oh, and just where do they think Aussies live - deep in the outback somewhere? We DO have suburbs, you know - and there's not much chance of starting a bushfire there!
The two people in the links I posted do live there.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 9:30 pm
Fighting my corner

The two people in the links I posted do live there.
That's no guarantee that they'll be right - especially if they're ex-pats!
Old Nov 7th 2005, 9:33 pm

That's no guarantee that they'll be right - especially if they're ex-pats!
ok I'll leave it up to you to tell Mrs D shes not right.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 9:40 pm
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

I've seen more bushfires in Melbourne than bonfires
Old Nov 7th 2005, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I've been here for 26 years and never, ever have I seen or heard of anyone in Sydney celebrating Bonfire night.

Back in my early years here, Queens Birthday weeked was the traditional night for fireworks and it was called Cracker Night (not Bonfire Night). Because Queens Birthday is in June (early winter) it kind-of resembled Guy Fawkes night. No guys, though and definitely not on the 5th November.

Since NSW banned fireworks in the 1980's there haven't even been Cracker Nights. Don't know where in Australia they have Bonfire Nights - certainly not in NSW. Maybe it's an obscure Tasmanian tradition...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.