Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gutted about 120 points but still smiling!!!

Wikiposts

Gutted about 120 points but still smiling!!!

Old Apr 1st 2004, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by wmoore
You're thinking of Skill Matching. State Nominated is simply the state assessing your skills and saying "you're the kind of guy / gal who would fit in here" (well OK, there's a bit of poetic licence ). You fill in a form and send your CV (I have already for VIC), after a couple of months they send you a certificate (hopefully) which you put in your visa application pack to DIMIA and you go there 'independantly' and find work yourself.
See here

OMG I'm totally confused now. It was all so simple when we were going down the skilled independant route (albeit we would have had to find $100,000). Is state nominated that easy then ? Surely there has to be a catch or everyone would do it.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 7:29 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ohippy
OMG I'm totally confused now. It was all so simple when we were going down the skilled independant route (albeit we would have had to find $100,000). Is state nominated that easy then ? Surely there has to be a catch or everyone would do it.
Well the catch is you've gotta have a skill in demand in that area / state. Nothing's ever that simple
Old Apr 1st 2004, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road
Default news just in

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=221581

have a read of this.....
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 12:12 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by pukka pom
What is exactly going on??, has the points system changed already, we are another 115 pointer who has to give the $100,000 bond, application due to go in in a couple of weeks - does this come into effect now?????????

Sorry to do this to you pukka, 14th April 2004

Thankfully we have already started to go down the STNI or Regional route. Well we are waiting for e-mails back anyway. Not quite what we'd hoped for but if it gets us there we don't care.

Best of Luck
Sarah
Old Jul 12th 2004, 3:02 am
Shaun&MIchelle

michellecarre is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ohippy
Thanks for that - the areas that we were looking at are definitely in the 'designated areas', just hope that they use these for the new visa.

I'm not really that keen on the state nominated visa - even if it is permanent, as I don't really fancy sitting in a 'pool' for a couple of years waiting for someone to pick us. I was always picked last for the netball team so wouldn't hold out much hope.
My understanding and our agents is that anything outside the Metropolitan area of Perth is regional and the map I have looked on, Mandurah is outside this zone, therefore regional.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

This fortunately doesn't apply to me, but I was just wondering how they are policing where you end up staying?

How do they know that you haven't moved after a couple of weeks or months to someone where you shouldn't be?

They are not going to electronic tag you like they do when they release offenders here are they!!!

Just interested in how it works that's all.

Dave
Old Jul 12th 2004, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by michellecarre
My understanding and our agents is that anything outside the Metropolitan area of Perth is regional and the map I have looked on, Mandurah is outside this zone, therefore regional.
This hasn't actually been decided yet - despite me mailing everyone including the WA government, WA is the only state who hasn't made a decision as yet.

We are going to have to include SA in our reccie trip at great additional cost, just in case WA don't come through in time.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 9:21 am
wombat42

If you get a regional visa, live in a place as close a possible to a
capital city, so you are close to major facilities and employment opportunities. If this is'nt the place you want to live then don't buy a house there but rent, as the cost of rent in regional Australia is cheap, and then once you are allowed to live where you really want to , buy a house.