Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Guidance on Centerlink Payments, Please

Guidance on Centerlink Payments, Please

Old Feb 23rd 2014, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guidance on Centerlink Payments, Please

Originally Posted by paulry
That was my experience too.
Me too, An Asian sounding person from Dunn & Bradstreet. I told Centrelink I thought this was a Scam an asked them to confirm it wasn't, The reply I got 5 weeks later "We are having technical problems please resubmit your request" what a waste of fresh air
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

And that is why legally he shouldn't have it.

Morally, well.......everyone will have apersonal view on that, mine is that I could not honestly expect a country in which I had never lived, and to which I had neer contributed anything whatsoever, to pay me welfare/social security whatever you call it. I even spent my first few years in Aus feeling guilty for just using Medicare a couple of times until I had paid a reasonable amount of tax and contributed something to the place.

Still, each to their own.
I used to feel the same way, having come from Southern Africa, where there is no welfare system at all...

But all countries governments tax you (one) to the hilt these days, so I don't feel bad claiming the flood relief we did when we arrived. It will be paid back in taxes, if not already done so. And future victims of circumstance will benefit at some point I reckon.

I think of it (taxes) as donating to charity.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 5:39 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I used to feel the same way, having come from Southern Africa, where there is no welfare system at all...

But all countries governments tax you (one) to the hilt these days, so I don't feel bad claiming the flood relief we did when we arrived. It will be paid back in taxes, if not already done so. And future victims of circumstance will benefit at some point I reckon.

That's the way I see it. The tiny periods when we are eligible for support/assistance are minuscule compared with the rest of our lives when we are paying big time into the system. Provided it's legit, get it while you can!
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 9:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco

You were living here during the floods.
This person is trying to claim money for a long period of time between holidaying here to validate the visa, and then moving here. He wasn't living here by any stretch of the imagination.
To give a comparison - a person from the UK could visit to validate, go home for 13 months and claim belenfits at home, then come back here and claim benefits here to cover that self-same period for which he has already received the benefits at home - double dipping if you like........
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You were living here during the floods.
This person is trying to claim money for a long period of time between holidaying here to validate the visa, and then moving here. He wasn't living here by any stretch of the imagination.
To give a comparison - a person from the UK could visit to validate, go home for 13 months and claim belenfits at home, then come back here and claim benefits here to cover that self-same period for which he has already received the benefits at home - double dipping if you like........
Indeed. I agree.