Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Looking for any work to start off, desperate tradie

Looking for any work to start off, desperate tradie

Old Feb 19th 2014, 1:04 am
Just Joined

matthew.teeven is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for any work to start off, desperate tradie

Hey people, I've been a resident in Australia for the past 6 weeks. I've moved to Brisbane for work and had a few weeks there but that's not enough to keep me going and send some back to rocky for the wife and child. We lived in London for the past 5 years and agencies kept us afloat there but going down the same route as I did there it doesn't seem enough (calls and sending my resume to agencies in yellow pages etc) any other good tips or heads up on any good work agencies for just about any work?
Old Feb 19th 2014, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

pome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Looking for any work to start off, desperate tradie

Workpac chermside ask for zeb. nuforce labour hire logan,????
good luck mate... or gum tree . com for you to put an add....
Old Feb 19th 2014, 8:45 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly 6 weeks is nothing. Can your wife not look for work to help tide you over?
Old Feb 19th 2014, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

pome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of light

if the wife's in rocky Gladstone might be a better option bud . just a thought im in Darwin at the minute , things will be cranking with whitton brothers and rock town construction.good luck
Old Feb 19th 2014, 11:43 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matthew.teeven
Hey people, I've been a resident in Australia for the past 6 weeks. I've moved to Brisbane for work and had a few weeks there but that's not enough to keep me going and send some back to rocky for the wife and child. We lived in London for the past 5 years and agencies kept us afloat there but going down the same route as I did there it doesn't seem enough (calls and sending my resume to agencies in yellow pages etc) any other good tips or heads up on any good work agencies for just about any work?
What sort of tradie are you? I can't help with a job, but maybe they are not looking at you because of rules and regulations for some jobs . Also possibly your lack of Australian experience may be a drawback.
Have you got details of current Qld/Aust Trade Certificates, licences etc on you resume'? If not, might need take a look at getting them converted and putting them on the resume otherwise you may not get job for which you are UK trained for.
Ever thought of getting licenced so you can go out and work for yourself or sub-contract?
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Hey guys, thanks for the support, information and suggestions. It seems I need to move south of the Brisbane river as I'm finding that 70% of the work is there as well as the city. As for now (and I realise this is massive hindrance) I've no wheels as yet. Im a plasterer, solid and fibrous, or setter as it's commonly referred to here. I've the relevant white card (safety qualification) and looking to add other passes for working at heights etc in the near distant future. Guess I'll just have to dig my heals in and accept I'm a newby and it'll take time and apply apply apply! The resume has been finely tuned. Here go's for a Monday morning attack
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

TimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of light

dont send resumes, phone ppl

Seriously, get on your phone and start calling them. The issue will be your lack of transport, assuming you can legally work here.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 9:33 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimbersBack
dont send resumes, phone ppl

Seriously, get on your phone and start calling them. The issue will be your lack of transport, assuming you can legally work here.
It's easy to say no over the phone. Whenever I was chasing work in the U.K I'd just drive around the work sites asking the site agent or foreman if there was any. I did the same here when we first arrived.
Without any transport it's going to be almost impossible. Not like working in London where you hop on the tube with your level & bucket of tools & hop off at the jobsite.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

Ha yes, I hopped on and off the tube for years with my buckets and tools. And yes timbersback I can legally work here, as for the transport sitch, I realized weeks ago, without some longevity on a job in the city.... It's a must.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 10:35 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matthew.teeven
Ha yes, I hopped on and off the tube for years with my buckets and tools. And yes timbersback I can legally work here, as for the transport sitch, I realized weeks ago, without some longevity on a job in the city.... It's a must.
Have you had your CV updated to reflect working in Australia?
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 10:52 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Have you had your CV updated to reflect working in Australia?
I've never needed a C.V on a construction site. You turn up & within mins everyone from the tea boy to the top man knows whether you can do the job or not.
Last week I was having smoko in the garage when the new supervisor turned up. We sat watching the brickie on the job opposite & within 2 mins we both knew he was pretty crap.