Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

GST: GST on Hardware equipment

GST: GST on Hardware equipment

Old May 27th 2005, 7:26 pm
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Exclamation GST: GST on Hardware equipment

Hello Folks:
I have a question regarding GST.
If I purchase hardware at my place and bring it along with me while I am immigrating. Will this invite a GST on the hardware at port of entry to Oz..?
Please note I am going to purchase a laptop now and its not 12 months old purchase.
Does anyone know the a site where I can find GST details. ABCDiamond had something to add earlier on this. Can you share more information at this again...?

thank you in advance..
Old May 27th 2005, 7:50 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Re: GST: GST on Hardware equipment

Originally Posted by pandya_m
Hello Folks:
If I purchase hardware at my place and bring it along with me while I am immigrating. Will this invite a GST on the hardware at port of entry to Oz..?
Please note I am going to purchase a laptop now and its not 12 months old purchase.
Does anyone know the a site where I can find GST details. ABCDiamond had something to add earlier on this. Can you share more information at this again...?

thank you in advance..
I brought in a 3 month old computer and was completely honest on all the forms etc and shipped th reciept with the computer and wa charged nothing.

I belivee you can be charged but I think they are more looking at mass import than a new immigrant bringing there personal computer with them

Kala
Old May 27th 2005, 9:22 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Folks:

thank you in advance..
The wife shipped hers over separately to everything else, so I had to collect it. No questions asked, no problems.
Old May 29th 2005, 8:09 pm

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Bloke
The wife shipped hers over separately to everything else, so I had to collect it. No questions asked, no problems.
The Bloke & Kala you both are lucky...
I am not sure about the bulk import, but surely customs are usually silly...they wont allow for personal use even...Immigrating case is strong but you dont know when they can charge you irrespective you are a traveller, migrating or a proper hardware dealer....
so let me google...little if I get more info..
thanks anyways....
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:43 am

Thumbs up Re: GST: GST on Hardware equipment

Hi all:
I wrote mail to customs and heres the reply...
Attached file also talks about Customs..
Hope this helps...

To: [email protected]
Date: Jun 2, 2005 7:03 AM
Subject: UNCLASSIFIED RE: Information required on Customs at Australian Po rt of Entry.
Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Add sender to Contacts list | Trash this message | Report phishing | Show original
Dear Mukesh,

Thank you for your email.

Goods that you have owned and used overseas for 12 months or more can be
brought in with you duty and tax free with a few exceptions such as alcohol
products, tobacco, commercial goods, motor vehicles and parts.

Goods that you have owned and used for less than 12 months will be subject
to duty and taxes. The purchase price will be depreciated depending on the
length of ownership and use, the depreciation rates are,
20% for up to 3 months
40% for 3 to 6 months
60% for 6 to 12 months.

The laptop will be subject to GST of 10%

Regards,

Sue Vivian
Information Officer
CUSTOMS INFORMATION & SUPPORT CENTRE
For further information on Customs visit our Website www.customs.gov.au
Please respond to email address [email protected] to ensure
your communication with us is answered.

The information above is provided as a guide only and should be clarified by
either lodging a formal advice request with the appropriate section of
Customs or employing the services of a customs broker, if appropriate.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
guide_travellers_0311.pdf (183.6 KB, 92 views)
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:54 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Hi all:
I wrote mail to customs and heres the reply...
Attached file also talks about Customs..
Hope this helps...

To: [email protected]
Date: Jun 2, 2005 7:03 AM
Subject: UNCLASSIFIED RE: Information required on Customs at Australian Po rt of Entry.
Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Add sender to Contacts list | Trash this message | Report phishing | Show original
Dear Mukesh,

Thank you for your email.

Goods that you have owned and used overseas for 12 months or more can be
brought in with you duty and tax free with a few exceptions such as alcohol
products, tobacco, commercial goods, motor vehicles and parts.

Goods that you have owned and used for less than 12 months will be subject
to duty and taxes. The purchase price will be depreciated depending on the
length of ownership and use, the depreciation rates are,
20% for up to 3 months
40% for 3 to 6 months
60% for 6 to 12 months.

The laptop will be subject to GST of 10%

Regards,

Sue Vivian
Information Officer
CUSTOMS INFORMATION & SUPPORT CENTRE
For further information on Customs visit our Website www.customs.gov.au
Please respond to email address [email protected] to ensure
your communication with us is answered.

The information above is provided as a guide only and should be clarified by
either lodging a formal advice request with the appropriate section of
Customs or employing the services of a customs broker, if appropriate.
That's the official line but I suspect they can't follow up every single item.
We shipped most of our belongings, and had some brand new items.
I decided to declare the ones which looked most obvious or could possibly be tracked by a serial number. But the new printer I declared was not taxed.

I also had a some new hardware, parts for my pc - mobo, cpu, memory etc. But thought it unlikely they would check once I had bundled it all in to an old case. They didn't question it.

With the laptop, you could probably make it look old - put a tatty sticker on it, carry it in an old laptop bag (good idea anyway as it deters thieves).
Depends on how honest you are. I'm not suggesting that it's a good idea.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

This topic has come up numerous times over the two years I've been ont he site; lots of people have said they have declared stuff- some people have even shipped new electrical goods still in sealed boxes, but I have not yet seen anyone be charged GST on their possessions by Customs.
They are more bothered about stopping large quantities of stuff being imported for sale.