Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

GST-exempt domestic flights - help?

GST-exempt domestic flights - help?

Old May 6th 2005, 12:52 pm
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice
Exclamation GST-exempt domestic flights - help?

I have just finished booking domestic flights for my family to travel around Australia on our visit in August. I am (unfortunately) still a non-resident of Australia and have booked these flights over the internet from the U.K. According to several sources I have found, domestic flights booked by non-residents from outside Australia are GST-exempt.... but the airlines/travel agents I used have automatically added it to my bills and now claim they have not heard of the exemption .

Has anyone any more information and/or know how I can reclaim the GST I've paid?

Thanks, xxx
Old May 6th 2005, 4:42 pm
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice
Talking Re: GST-exempt domestic flights - help?

Hell, I'm just gonna have a lil' party here by myself... just like talking to myself!!

Anyway, just in case anyone else is interested in this I have emailed the Australian Tax Department and if/when they get back to me, I'll report back...
I could have a whole conversation.... just with myself!!

Yours, not-feeling-like-Billy-No-Mates-at-all, Floss
Old May 6th 2005, 4:46 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Re: GST-exempt domestic flights - help?

Well, to be honest I think there`s more chance of Superman flying through my window and waving his willy at me than the Aus govt. or airlines not charging you vat/gst on your flights.

When people holiday in Europe from America (for instance), they still get charged the full whack for everything. Airlines do duty free on-board, not for the flight.

Good luck though and hope it turns out to be true.
Old May 6th 2005, 6:16 pm
Jammy Dodger

Originally Posted by Stormz
Well, to be honest I think there`s more chance of Superman flying through my window and waving his willy at me than the Aus govt. or airlines not charging you vat/gst on your flights.

When people holiday in Europe from America (for instance), they still get charged the full whack for everything. Airlines do duty free on-board, not for the flight.

Good luck though and hope it turns out to be true.
Yes, I know where you are coming from and quite frankly I'd give up on the idea of my particular little GST-free grail for a chance to have Superman waggle his willy at me, but I originally found it in the Lonely Planet Guide.... and then I looked it up on Google and found www.drews.com.au/GSTExemptions (don't know who or what "drews" are) ... by this stage my curiosity was well and truely waggling ( in the absence of anything else)

... it's not that life is dull... but.... well.... it is.... so I shall chase this one down until I find and answer... or a superhero drops in to distract me....

will come back when I hear from the Tax Men!! xx Billy-N-M xx
Old May 7th 2005, 1:14 am
ABCDiamond

You may find this only applies when the flights are booked from overseas, in which case you wil pay the UK VAT instead. So 17.5% instead of 10%.

International flights and domestic flights purchased overseas by non-residents are GST-free.
The accounting functions for all this will be done by the Travel Agents back offices.