Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Grrrrr. Missed the perfect job

Grrrrr. Missed the perfect job

Old May 12th 2004, 1:15 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Grrrrr. Missed the perfect job

It's my fault, I get these emails with jobs in Oz. And then I go and find my ideal job, for which I am perfectly qualified and ideally suited to, do what I do now but for more money. Only problem is that I'm not in Australia.

Had our plans gone as they should have, we would have been emigrating next month and I could have flippin' well applied!

Off to rant
Old May 12th 2004, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all
Default Re: Grrrrr. Missed the perfect job

Originally posted by bundy
It's my fault, I get these emails with jobs in Oz. And then I go and find my ideal job, for which I am perfectly qualified and ideally suited to, do what I do now but for more money. Only problem is that I'm not in Australia.

Had our plans gone as they should have, we would have been emigrating next month and I could have flippin' well applied!

Off to rant
you are not in australia yet ... but you will be soon!!! so keep looking, is you found one then it means that there is gonna be another one available soon! I am sure!

do you look at www.seek.com.au? what is your field?

When should u get your PR? or go to OZ?

fabie
Old May 12th 2004, 1:26 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by swissfabs
you are not in australia yet ... but you will be soon!!! so keep looking, is you found one then it means that there is gonna be another one available soon! I am sure!

do you look at www.seek.com.au? what is your field?

When should u get your PR? or go to OZ?

fabie

I spend my life looking at the aussie job market and this is the first time something in my field has come up - university based international education. I read the job description and it's me!!! I get regular emails from careerone.com.au but have used lots of other sites too, including seek.com.

I'm applying for a spouse visa. We were supposed to be going this July, but my mum has been crook so we've delayed it by a year. Not applied yet, but I should get PR straight away based on the fact that we will have been together more than 5 years. AIming to go back next June/July.
Old May 12th 2004, 1:34 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

dont look! anymore till your ready
you never know by next year the person who takes the job could be gone by then anyway you could send them a c.v they may keep your details on file worked for the other half once
Old May 12th 2004, 1:37 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by kelli28
dont look! anymore till your ready
you never know by next year the person who takes the job could be gone by then anyway you could send them a c.v they may keep your details on file worked for the other half once

I was thinking of that...might bang of my CV and mention that I'll be over next year. Anyone know the etiquette for this?

I have to keep looking - like a moth to the flame!
Old May 12th 2004, 1:42 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

keep a note of the position, etc and when you are about to emigrate write to them saying you saw this position advertised in 2004 and you think you would be an ideal candidate if there is such a position vacant.

There is no harm in trying

Can't remember where you are going, but I have a friend who works at Brisbane Uni.

Btw how is your mum?
Old May 12th 2004, 1:46 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by walaj
keep a note of the position, etc and when you are about to emigrate write to them saying you saw this position advertised in 2004 and you think you would be an ideal candidate if there is such a position vacant.

There is no harm in trying

Can't remember where you are going, but I have a friend who works at Brisbane Uni.

Btw how is your mum?
Well, we were heading for Nundle, NSW (middle of nowhere) but we've always said that if the perfect job comes up for either of us, we'd go anywhere. I have a lot of links with Uni of New SOuth Wales, but not many anywhere else. I'm currently typing up a letter to stick in with my CV and send it to them for their records, just in case.

My mum is doing really well, thanks for asking. I'm going back to Jersey next week to help out while she has her radiotherapy. Her tumour is fast disappearing, no sign of any further spreading, she is back on her feet, able to drive, and going back to work. Plus she's feeling great!
Old May 12th 2004, 1:47 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

actually a book I have recommends this approach if you write to
them when you emigrate:

write as if a fresh job - ie start letter off that you heard through the grapevine there might be looking for..., or intrigued by their company and hope they might be looking for....
Old May 12th 2004, 1:49 pm
no longer searching

Plus she's feeling great!
Good, hope it stays that way or gets better
Old May 12th 2004, 1:59 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by walaj
actually a book I have recommends this approach if you write to
them when you emigrate:

write as if a fresh job - ie start letter off that you heard through the grapevine there might be looking for..., or intrigued by their company and hope they might be looking for....

Good idea. I'm putting something together now while I'm all fired up for it and can then send it to them when we emigrate.
Old May 12th 2004, 3:44 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

university based international education.
Sounds like the one I'm applying for

Bummer Bundy! Cancel those emails!

Glad you mums getting better and better!

I still haven't finished my application yet, grrrr! Really difficult getting all the wording right, and translating properly!

And my stupid spelling check says that the Australian way of spelling organisation is organization! But I'm quite sure it's with an 's'!
See, that's why I'm putting up here later(said that yesterday arvo too....)

Well, good luck with your letter!
Old May 13th 2004, 12:16 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, we were heading for Nundle, NSW (middle of nowhere) but we've always said that if the perfect job comes up for either of us, we'd go anywhere. I have a lot of links with Uni of New SOuth Wales, but not many anywhere else. I'm currently typing up a letter to stick in with my CV and send it to them for their records, just in case.

My mum is doing really well, thanks for asking. I'm going back to Jersey next week to help out while she has her radiotherapy. Her tumour is fast disappearing, no sign of any further spreading, she is back on her feet, able to drive, and going back to work. Plus she's feeling great!
Thats just down the road in Randwick. Was the job in Sydney? Bundy you could apply now just in case something else comes up. just a thought as I know you are in a quandary about the 5 year requirment for PR.
Old May 13th 2004, 6:53 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by Simone

And my stupid spelling check says that the Australian way of spelling organisation is organization! But I'm quite sure it's with an 's'!

Yeah "z" are American aren't they. I'd go for an "s" unless anyone knows different!!

Bundy - shame about the job, but if you've seen one, they'll be more. Sending your CV for their file sounds like a good idea. Glad to hear your mum is getting better too
Old May 13th 2004, 7:11 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by bondipom
Thats just down the road in Randwick. Was the job in Sydney? Bundy you could apply now just in case something else comes up. just a thought as I know you are in a quandary about the 5 year requirment for PR.

Yep, good old UNSW. This job was actually at Monash in Melb, which was the only non-ideal thing about it. Other than that it was made for me! I'm still going to send in my CV and ask them to stick on file.

There's no way we'll be out in Oz before next year - I wouldn't be able to leave this job until Sept at the earliest and I haven't even got my visa yet! I'm quite keen on doing the 5 year thing and getting instant PR - seems silly not to when we only have to wait until October. Plus for my own peace of mind I'd like to hang about for a little while longer to keep an eye on my mum - the first year is the most important one in terms of her treatment. And it gives us another family Christmas here.

All is not lost though: I've been working with the UNSW Study Abroad office and English Dept for 5 years now and have close contacts with them. They've always said to get in touch if I need a job. That would be better, because I wouldn't mind living in Sydney.
Old May 13th 2004, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, good old UNSW. This job was actually at Monash in Melb, which was the only non-ideal thing about it. Other than that it was made for me! I'm still going to send in my CV and ask them to stick on file.

There's no way we'll be out in Oz before next year - I wouldn't be able to leave this job until Sept at the earliest and I haven't even got my visa yet! I'm quite keen on doing the 5 year thing and getting instant PR - seems silly not to when we only have to wait until October. Plus for my own peace of mind I'd like to hang about for a little while longer to keep an eye on my mum - the first year is the most important one in terms of her treatment. And it gives us another family Christmas here.

All is not lost though: I've been working with the UNSW Study Abroad office and English Dept for 5 years now and have close contacts with them. They've always said to get in touch if I need a job. That would be better, because I wouldn't mind living in Sydney.
Bundy

Nice to hear about the progress with your mother. As others have said hang in there and things will fall into place. The idea about letting people and organisations know you are interested in similar positions in the future is a good one and as someone said you've got nothing to lose by doing so. BTW, my brother works at Monash Uni (Senior Lecturer in Geography) and if you need a contact or further information then PM me. Melbourne or Sydney would be a bit different to Nundle eh?

OzTennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.