Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Grocery Shopping in Australia???

Grocery Shopping in Australia???

Old Apr 29th 2016, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

googley2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Grocery Shopping in Australia???

The shopping styles now in the UK are internet shopping for groceries (any main store) that are delivered to your door for you or "Scan and Pay" for your shopping while you are in store - great for checking the price something is charged at. I was just wondering if Australia has these services as well or is it still go to the shops for your groceries? Read in a few places that its behind in a few years but just wondering if there are any options to "walk and buy" shopping. I assume you have Amazon, Ebay, etc. etc.

Would love to know how regular Australian do their grocery shopping, Thanks
Old Apr 29th 2016, 12:56 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grocery Shopping in Australia???

Like regular people. You can go shopping or you can do it online and have it delivered. We don't have the scan thing here but I thought it was only Waitrose in the UK that did that and not many people used it anyway. I remember doing it a couple of times but once the novelty wore off and having to have things checked because errors occurred it seemed a waste of time.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 12:57 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by googley2
The shopping styles now in the UK are internet shopping for groceries (any main store) that are delivered to your door for you or "Scan and Pay" for your shopping while you are in store - great for checking the price something is charged at. I was just wondering if Australia has these services as well or is it still go to the shops for your groceries? Read in a few places that its behind in a few years but just wondering if there are any options to "walk and buy" shopping. I assume you have Amazon, Ebay, etc. etc.

ebay.com.au is ok, though slower in traffic than UK or US.
Amazon here is new and just mainly for kindles. most of us use other Amazon sites,like UK, US, Germany, but you need to check when buying as not everything can be sent internationally.UK Amazon is fine for books, cds and dvds, but other stuff is often not deliverable.

I'm not going to comment on the standard of Aussie supermarkets, its too late at night to get into a fight!
Old Apr 29th 2016, 1:26 pm
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Back when I worked FIFO I would order my groceries online and have them set for delivery for a couple hours after I got back to Perth (no car + tired as heck = can't be bothered to grocery shop)

Both Coles and Woolworths offer this service, this was in 2014/2015.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Forgot to ask is it relatively easily to get Gluten Free Food or very hard to find? Thanks
Old Apr 29th 2016, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to ask is it relatively easily to get Gluten Free Food or very hard to find? Thanks
I have seen plenty in Coles. Some restaurants offer gluten free pasta/pizza.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

You can go to the shops and shop! You can order on line,do click and collect and do self scan at Coles, Woolworths and Kmart.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Great sounds just the same as shopping in the UK. Thanks
Old Apr 30th 2016, 2:23 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Great sounds just the same as shopping in the UK. Thanks
It's a first world country. It's all the same pretty much. You may not have 100 types of every product like there is in the hell called Tescos etc but there's more than enough choice of anything you want give or take the odd item.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It's a first world country. It's all the same pretty much. You may not have 100 types of every product like there is in the hell called Tescos etc but there's more than enough choice of anything you want give or take the odd item.
We don't starve.I am a vegetarian and found that there is less choice for ready made meals. It just means that I make more from scratch now which is better.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 5:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Don't overthink it

You can buy most food and groceries at a supermarket

They will deliver them to you if you want

Supermarkets are pretty much the same everywhere
Old Apr 30th 2016, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Much more widely available in Australia than the UK, to my surprise.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 6:44 am
Just Joined

I rarely buy "ready meals" due to poor quality and allergies but its sounds as though there is nothing to be concerned over. Other sites say its hard getting supplies and Aus is behind the times but now I dont believe it. Thank You
Old Apr 30th 2016, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I rarely buy "ready meals" due to poor quality and allergies but its sounds as though there is nothing to be concerned over. Other sites say its hard getting supplies and Aus is behind the times but now I dont believe it. Thank You
You have read that it is hard to get grocery supplies in Australia?

It is a first world country..
Old Apr 30th 2016, 7:04 am
Just Joined

Yes it was on a different site though thats why I am checking a few to get various replies. Definitely not worried now though. I agree its a first world country which is why I am planning on living there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.