Green Ants

Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Question Green Ants

We have them everywhere in the garden & now I can't hang the washing out as they are all over the area where the line is.:curse: I have heard that there is some concoction that you can make up & spray & they will stay away.
Any ideas good people of BE?
Old Mar 26th 2011, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Ants

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
We have them everywhere in the garden & now I can't hang the washing out as they are all over the area where the line is.:curse: I have heard that there is some concoction that you can make up & spray & they will stay away.
You could try luring them with a bowl/plate of syrup away from your washing line or wear gum boots.

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/lifestyle...ing/green-ants

Last edited by Alfresco; Mar 26th 2011 at 5:36 am.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
You could try luring them with a bowl/plate of syrup away from your washing line or wear gum boots.

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/lifestyle...ing/green-ants
Do you have any idea how hot & humid it is up here????? Wear gum boots indeed!
Old Mar 26th 2011, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

'Hovex 2' in 1 from Bunnings or Woolies worked for me. We had them all over or verandah, 2 applications and off they went.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by njk435
'Hovex 2' in 1 from Bunnings or Woolies worked for me. We had them all over or verandah, 2 applications and off they went.
Thanks, karma sent
Old Mar 26th 2011, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

Vinegar and water solution in a spray bottle every few days and they should go elsewhere when they get the message
Old Mar 26th 2011, 9:20 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I remember seeing green ants in Cairns and thinking they looked so much cuter than the black ants I was used to.
So I picked one up to have a look....and it bit me

It suddenly didn't seem so cute
Old Mar 26th 2011, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
I remember seeing green ants in Cairns and thinking they looked so much cuter than the black ants I was used to.
So I picked one up to have a look....and it bit me

It suddenly didn't seem so cute
Experience is the best teacher.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of

Bite them back, they may great bush tucker and a citrus drink

John
Old Mar 27th 2011, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Graham and Maria
Vinegar and water solution in a spray bottle every few days and they should go elsewhere when they get the message
Will give this a try as I have vinegar on hand to deal with the mould! Someone remind me why I moved to the tropics!

Originally Posted by John_R
Bite them back, they may great bush tucker and a citrus drink
John

Been watching too much Man vs Wild I think!
Old Mar 27th 2011, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of

Will give this a try as I have vinegar on hand to deal with the mould! Someone remind me why I moved to the tropics!

Been watching too much Man vs Wild I think!
Even better, good old Les Hiddens the original Bush Tucker Man. But seriously, try one! If your brave enough to rip open the nest, the larvae are better

John
Old Mar 27th 2011, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by John_R
Even better, good old Les Hiddens the original Bush Tucker Man. But seriously, try one! If your brave enough to rip open the nest, the larvae are better

John
I rather think not.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 11:25 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Green Tree Ants are horrible; too back the geckos don't eat them.

They have a profound effect on the ecology here. When they colonise a tree, they take it over by killing everything else alive in the tree: insects, spiders, baby birds, lizards, frogs, the lot. This has had a profound effect on bird nesting densities and diversity in the lowlands. since they don't occur at higher altitiudes or are more marginalised by other competitors, wildlife biodiversity is much greater in the hills and the tablelands as a result.

They are literally everywhere in Cairns. Along with the Butcherbirds, it's a wonder that any tree-nesting birds succeed here.