Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Great train journeys in Australia

Great train journeys in Australia

Old Mar 7th 2006, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Great train journeys in Australia

Hi,
Has anyone travelled on the Great Southern Pacific Express (equivalent of the Orient Express, saw a documentary, but cannot find any info on the net regarding bookings )/The Ghan/Indian Pacific/The Overlander ?

We are planning to validate our visas in June, and have a 4 week vacation in Australia - 2 weeks in Melbourne and the rest travelling around.

We plan to go to Adelaide by train (Overlander...gold kangaroo) taking one of the holiday packages ( www.gsr.com.au ). However, if anyone knows of any better train journeys in terms of scenic beauty, better trains........, info would be gratefully received. I've written to gsr seeking more info on their holiday packages, no responses yet

Ta
IG

We are travelling with 2 kids - 3 and 11, so don't want to do anything too hectic.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great train journeys in Australia

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Hi,
Has anyone travelled on the Great Southern Pacific Express (equivalent of the Orient Express, saw a documentary, but cannot find any info on the net regarding bookings )/The Ghan/Indian Pacific/The Overlander ?

We are planning to validate our visas in June, and have a 4 week vacation in Australia - 2 weeks in Melbourne and the rest travelling around.

We plan to go to Adelaide by train (Overlander...gold kangaroo) taking one of the holiday packages ( www.gsr.com.au ). However, if anyone knows of any better train journeys in terms of scenic beauty, better trains........, info would be gratefully received. I've written to gsr seeking more info on their holiday packages, no responses yet

Ta
IG

We are travelling with 2 kids - 3 and 11, so don't want to do anything too hectic.
I went to Perth once on the train from Melbourne. This was a long time ago, though.

First to Adelaide on an overnighter (can't remember the name of the train). Then another train to Port Pirie where the Adelaide passengers joined the Indian Pacific, which had come from Sydney.

It was a fantastic experience and I'd definitely do it again. The train took two days and two nights to get to Perth and stopped at a couple of railway settlements on the Nullarbor (couldn't possibly call them towns or villages) plus Kalgoorlie. The scenery was interesting, the food was good and the train was really comfortable. It even had a bar/lounge area with a piano. Plenty of time to chat with the other passengers.

The only thing I did notice was the huge number of retired people on the train. Back then (not sure if it's the same now) pensioners got very cheap rail fares so tended to travel long distance by train rather than flying. The mix of old/young passengers on the train was about 90%/10%. It was great though, as they could all play the piano in the bar and we even had sing-alongs etc.

Never been on the Ghan, though I'd love to do so, one day.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
I went to Perth once on the train from Melbourne. This was a long time ago, though.

First to Adelaide on an overnighter (can't remember the name of the train). Then another train to Port Pirie where the Adelaide passengers joined the Indian Pacific, which had come from Sydney.

It was a fantastic experience and I'd definitely do it again. The train took two days and two nights to get to Perth and stopped at a couple of railway settlements on the Nullarbor (couldn't possibly call them towns or villages) plus Kalgoorlie. The scenery was interesting, the food was good and the train was really comfortable. It even had a bar/lounge area with a piano. Plenty of time to chat with the other passengers.

The only thing I did notice was the huge number of retired people on the train. Back then (not sure if it's the same now) pensioners got very cheap rail fares so tended to travel long distance by train rather than flying. The mix of old/young passengers on the train was about 90%/10%. It was great though, as they could all play the piano in the bar and we even had sing-alongs etc.

Never been on the Ghan, though I'd love to do so, one day.

Thanks Nicky!!! Whew, I thought nobody travelled by trains there!! We have plenty of time, and don't want to do anything too hectic. Besides, my kids would really love to go by train. I think I'll do the shorter journey this time (Mel-Adelaide - 10.5 hrs, day time service) and when my younger one is a bit older, we will do the longer stretches.

The gold kangaroo service especially the one with your own 'room' looks luxurious and I also liked the huge windows!!

Can't wait for the holidays and validating our visas

Cheers
IG
Old Mar 8th 2006, 10:58 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=IndieGirl]Hi,

www.trainways.com.au

May help!
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=stevemich]
Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Hi,

www.trainways.com.au

May help!

Thanks. I have already been on that site. I was specifically looking for information on the Great Southern Pacific Exp, which I couldn't find on the net.

Looks like we will do the Mel-Adelaide leg this time.

Cheers
IG
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I did the Perth Adelaide train journey about 3 years ago. I took the economy version which is in a seat all the way. Took about 2 days and it was an intresting experience but I won't be doing it again. After the first 24 hours one bit of desert just looks like the next bit. Their are showers in each compartment and a buffet car and bar also a lounge car. Problem was the people who knew the ropes as soon as the train left moved into the lounge car and stayed put as the seats were more comfy than the assigned seats and they even slept their as the couches made reasonable beds. Not saying this happens on every journey just my experience.

I'm sure the gold class is far superior (but you also pay 3 or 4 times the cost of a basic seat) so you pays your money and take your pick.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Hi

Did the Indian Pacific with my wife in first class from Perth all the way to Sydney. I enjoyed it, but you must be ready to watch scenery change very slow. Take a book. Would recommend checking the timetable so that the Blue Mountains are passed through during daylight. The one hour coach tours of Kalgoorlie and Broken Hill are good, and Adelaide too (albeit at 6am on a Sunday for us). going across the Nularbor Desert gets one great respect from Aussies, though the one hour stop in Cook is too long.

Also, if you book in first class, do ensure your 'room' is not over one of the train's bogies as you'll not get a wink of sleep. Mid carriage and you'll be fine.

Neil
Old Mar 9th 2006, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
I did the Perth Adelaide train journey about 3 years ago. I took the economy version which is in a seat all the way. Took about 2 days and it was an intresting experience but I won't be doing it again. After the first 24 hours one bit of desert just looks like the next bit. Their are showers in each compartment and a buffet car and bar also a lounge car. Problem was the people who knew the ropes as soon as the train left moved into the lounge car and stayed put as the seats were more comfy than the assigned seats and they even slept their as the couches made reasonable beds. Not saying this happens on every journey just my experience.

I'm sure the gold class is far superior (but you also pay 3 or 4 times the cost of a basic seat) so you pays your money and take your pick.
You can't sleep in the lounge cars; you will be woken up every few hours, so wear sunnies and prop a book up on your knees....the seats get bloody uncomfortable after 3 days - I did the trip 4 times - Sydney to Perth, and back again... I used my 6month pass so much I broke the train system.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi,
Thanks for all the tips I'll remember to take a cabin in the middle of the train! Mel-Adelaide is a daylight service both ways, so that would be nice. I hope the scenery is good though - I watched a documentary on the 'Great Southern Pacific Express' lovely scenery - plenty of greenery and waterfalls (but nothing beats New Zealand - simply awesome - next time hopefully).

Adelaide-Melbourne return fare for an adult is $314 Gold Kangaroo class - children under 4 travel free which was a nice surprise.

Cheers
IG
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we did the trip up to Alice from Adelaide (our car was too tall to go from Melbourne as we planned!).

For 2 adults in Gold Kangaroo, the car was free, and we had a nice double cabin. I really enjoyed the trip- the scenery does not change hugely but the train staff do provide commentary when something of note appears.

We drove back which was excellent (stopped in Coober Pedy!) but took 2.5 days.

I now want to go from Adelaide to Darwin...just have to persuade hubby it is worth the money....
Old Mar 10th 2006, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Pomster,
Have you looked at this site?

http://www.traveltrain.com.au/travel...c/Overview.asp

The routes look very scenic - waterfalls, tropical rain forests etc. I love train journeys!!

Can't wait to actually migrate, will be going on one every year hopefully

Hope you manage to convince Mr pomster!

IG
Old Mar 10th 2006, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

brian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the rough

My wife and I (before kids) took The Ghan from Alice Springs to Adelaide back in 1995. I think that is one of the highlights of that trip that I remember the most. We were in first class (might be what they call Gold Kangaroo now) and had a great sleeper cabin. Excellent food in the dining car and great views of the desert at both sunset and sunrise from the lounge car and from the cabins. I would recommend getting up early to see the sunrise!

The one thing I really remember from that trip was that we did it in the middle of summer (late December), and it was very hot. It was so hot that the aircon in the train overloaded. It was something like 50 degrees C outside! They stopped the train in the middle of the desert and sent some poor guy to go fix the aircon. They told everyone to close the window shades on the sunny side of the train. Saw the guy walking back through the train cars once he fixed the aircon and he was beet red! Not a job I would have wanted.

So, I would highly recommend The Ghan. The trip from Alice to Adelaide is short enough to not be too boring, and the scenery is terrific! I think the trip is about 18 hours total - it left mid-afternoon and arrived at breakfast time.

Cheers,
Brian

Originally Posted by Pomster
we did the trip up to Alice from Adelaide (our car was too tall to go from Melbourne as we planned!).

For 2 adults in Gold Kangaroo, the car was free, and we had a nice double cabin. I really enjoyed the trip- the scenery does not change hugely but the train staff do provide commentary when something of note appears.

We drove back which was excellent (stopped in Coober Pedy!) but took 2.5 days.

I now want to go from Adelaide to Darwin...just have to persuade hubby it is worth the money....
Old Mar 10th 2006, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Brian - We're going to Melbourne, so our starting point would have to Melbourne. Anyway the trip is 10.5 hours, which means I will be able to keep my kid from getting too restless. When she is older, will most definitely do every train trip there is to be made