Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Great coast road

Great coast road

Old Nov 21st 2005, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Mr Pants is on a distinguished road
Default Great coast road

Hi guys, hope someone can help. We're going over to Oz in February for a month. Really want to drive the Great Coast Road from Melbourne to Adelaide. Should we hire a camper van from here or leave it until we get there? Any idea as to good companies and prices. Presumably there are millions of places to park/camp overnight. The alternative is to hire a normal car and stay in hotels, if we do that should we prebook places to stay ot takechances? Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 8:54 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great coast road

Originally Posted by Mr Pants
Hi guys, hope someone can help. We're going over to Oz in February for a month. Really want to drive the Great Coast Road from Melbourne to Adelaide. Should we hire a camper van from here or leave it until we get there? Any idea as to good companies and prices. Presumably there are millions of places to park/camp overnight. The alternative is to hire a normal car and stay in hotels, if we do that should we prebook places to stay ot takechances? Thanks for your help.
Hi,

We hired a normal car and stayed at motels along the way. We didn't prebook anything as we didn't know how far we would get each day.

We ended up getting our car from Hertz as we knew they would be reliable. At first we got one from a local guy at St. Kilda but it turned out to be a bomb so we took it back. There is a very high excess on all car hire in Australia but you can bring this down by paying a higher daily rate. Depends on your attitude to risk, really.

Enjoy your trip .

Jane
Old Nov 21st 2005, 9:00 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

There are a couple of companies you can use and book in the UK before you go, one company that springs to mind is 'Maui' - they are new campers of varying sizes - not the cheapest - but at least you will know you are going to get from a to b.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 9:06 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

http://www.australia-campervans.com/...amper_23ST.htm

Look at this link - should give you an idea of what's available.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 9:10 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Pants
not sure about campers but if you have`nt bookmarked this site already i thought i`d paste it
http://www.greatoceanrd.org.au/
Old Nov 21st 2005, 9:46 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wengerboy
not sure about campers but if you have`nt bookmarked this site already i thought i`d paste it
http://www.greatoceanrd.org.au/
We were there today
Attached Thumbnails Great coast road-picture-002.jpg  
Old Nov 21st 2005, 9:49 am
Life is good

Originally Posted by fraser
We were there today
Is that you surfing fraser?
Old Nov 21st 2005, 9:53 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claire edwards
Nah it's me in the orange shirt watching my boys play
Old Nov 21st 2005, 10:01 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claire edwards
fraser surfing....ha ha ha thats like bordy gettin one of his dates right
Old Nov 21st 2005, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by soapy
fraser surfing....ha ha ha thats like bordy gettin one of his dates right
So true
Old Nov 21st 2005, 10:04 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

So true
the mrs bought me a body board last year havent even stuck a toe in the see yet. great for the pool though
take a runny, jump and fall aff after 1.2 seconds
Old Nov 21st 2005, 10:07 am

the mrs bought me a body board last year havent even stuck a toe in the see yet. great for the pool though
take a runny, jump and fall aff after 1.2 seconds
The sea is bloody freezing down the ocean rd, stick anything more than a toe in and we're taling first degree shrinkage
Old Nov 21st 2005, 10:10 am
Master of verbal pish©

The sea is bloody freezing down the ocean rd, stick anything more than a toe in and we're taling first degree shrinkage
yip i know what u mean mate, i lost mine just walking past the beach the other day.
to be honest, theres only one thing bad about the sea. u have to cross sand to get to it
fkn sand, hate the stuff :scared:
Old Nov 21st 2005, 10:12 am

yip i know what u mean mate, i lost mine just walking past the beach the other day.
to be honest, theres only one thing bad about the sea. u have to cross sand to get to it
fkn sand, hate the stuff :scared:
I've never been a fan either.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 10:15 am
Master of verbal pish©

I've never been a fan either.
nothin better than a slice of bread and jam with a beach on top