Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Great British Bacon Sarnie

The Great British Bacon Sarnie

Old Aug 20th 2004, 9:52 pm
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough
Default The Great British Bacon Sarnie

Now then, I love my bacon sarnies - it's the main thing that stops me going vegie!!!!

But I'm afraid that bacon in Australia leaves a lot to be desired - doesn't taste right - is far to thickly cut -

I actuallly think Aussies cut gammon into slices thinking that will do for bacon!!!!!!
Old Aug 20th 2004, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Great British Bacon Sarnie

Originally Posted by brisbec
Now then, I love my bacon sarnies - it's the main thing that stops me going vegie!!!!

But I'm afraid that bacon in Australia leaves a lot to be desired - doesn't taste right - is far to thickly cut -

I actuallly think Aussies cut gammon into slices thinking that will do for bacon!!!!!!

Dunno if its because its what I am used to or not, but I much prefer Aussie bacon. I like that it doesnt spit out that white gungey stuff when you cook it....what is that stuff anyway???
Old Aug 20th 2004, 9:56 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

You're right to have these 'bacon worries'.

Here in Central Europe they don't do 'good bacon' and in America I remember it was similarly 'crisp and overdone'.

Maybe you should bring some over with you?
Old Aug 20th 2004, 9:57 pm
Chillin out in WA

Originally Posted by Hels
Dunno if its because its what I am used to or not, but I much prefer Aussie bacon. I like that it doesnt spit out that white gungey stuff when you cook it....what is that stuff anyway???

FAT!!!!!

And i love it!!!

There's nowt better than hearing the bacon spit from the grill and having your neighbours drooling like Homer Simpson wanting doughnuts!!!!!!!
Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

FAT!!!!!

And i love it!!!

There's nowt better than hearing the bacon spit from the grill and having your neighbours drooling like Homer Simpson wanting doughnuts!!!!!!!

I have never seen fat look like that...I got told it was the water they use to plump up the bacon over here, but was never sure....

Dunno, to me you shouldnt be able to see through bacon when you hold it up to the light

Aussie bacon smells just as good when its frying away....But I do agree with what Don says about the American way of cooking bacon...its called cremation...
Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:03 pm
Chillin out in WA

I have never seen fat look like that...I got told it was the water they use to plump up the bacon over here, but was never sure....

Dunno, to me you shouldnt be able to see through bacon when you hold it up to the light

Aussie bacon smells just as good when its frying away....But I do agree with what Don says about the American way of cooking bacon...its called cremation...
Maybe
I like the bacon that looks like it has a rainbow on it. When you look at it it has lovely colours!!!!

Oh crap , been taking too much medication!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:06 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all

Hels,

I think it is all the sodium nitrate they use to preserve it i.e. mainly salt.

That is why ours i.e. English or Danish bacon tastes quite salty some times. I have search for organic natural bacon withour preservatives but have uet been unsuccessful.

Jo
Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:10 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with you Jo.

I think it's salt too.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:12 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

A smoked bacon sandwich (pan bread) & HP sauce! yum,yum! my mouths a waterin!
Donna.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:15 pm
Chillin out in WA

Originally Posted by Bix
Agree with you Jo.

I think it's salt too.
Yeh but which tastes and smells better????

Personally I think I would want Danish bacon even though you buy it in Britain/England

Danish bacon is the best!!!

(I'm not quite sure if that's nationality or "make" ie brand name)
Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:16 pm
Account Closed

Aussie bacon????
Attached Thumbnails The Great British Bacon Sarnie-bacon.jpg  
Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:18 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh but which tastes and smells better????

Personally I think I would want Danish bacon even though you buy it in Britain/England

Danish bacon is the best!!!

(I'm not quite sure if that's nationality or "make" ie brand name)
Tulip-gets my vote everytime
Donna
Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:19 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: The Great British Bacon Sarnie

Aussie bacon????
True enough mes amis, NZ sun is same or worse.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That's the lovely fat
Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bobz
That's the lovely fat

Oh, I dont mean the white stuff that runs down the side and is attached to it...The fat I can handle...in fact, love it....

I mean the stuff that when you put it in the fry pan it oozes from the meat...I think someone suggested it was the salty preservatives....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.