Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gratuity payment from the UK?

Gratuity payment from the UK?

Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:00 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gratuity payment from the UK?

Hi, as some of you are aware, I was a Part-Time PSNI (police) Officer back in Northern Ireland and there is a gratuity scheme which we're all entitled to a certain amount of - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11710888 - I have since heard from a colleague that they're intending to take tax and national insurance off us, will I have to pay both of these even if I'm non-resident? Just curious....
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gratuity payment from the UK?

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Hi, as some of you are aware, I was a Part-Time PSNI (police) Officer back in Northern Ireland and there is a gratuity scheme which we're all entitled to a certain amount of - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11710888 - I have since heard from a colleague that they're intending to take tax and national insurance off us, will I have to pay both of these even if I'm non-resident? Just curious....
Would have thought you would have to declare it as part of your Aussie income and not be liable to pay anything to the UK but maybe because you earned it whilst in the UK, the tax man there will want his cut
In other words, I have no idea
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:43 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Would have thought you would have to declare it as part of your Aussie income and not be liable to pay anything to the UK but maybe because you earned it whilst in the UK, the tax man there will want his cut
In other words, I have no idea
lol k
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

My word, talk about goobledygook in the double taxation agreement. (See attached article 14).

Looks like as you carried the work out whilst you were present in the UK, you are liable for UK tax. I don't think that it being a gratuity would make any difference to that.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/uk-australia-dtc.pdf

Just to add, it would of course go onto your tax return with your rental income and you could get it back if below personal allowance.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Apr 22nd 2011 at 9:23 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 9:22 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
My word, talk about goobledygook in the double taxation agreement. (See attached article 14).

Looks like as you carried the work out whilst you were present in the UK, you are liable for UK tax. I don't think that it being a gratuity would make any difference to that.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/uk-australia-dtc.pdf
I'll probably keep it in my UK account, as now that it's being taxed and NI'd there'll probably be bugger all, so will I be taxed on it here? I'll just be using it for pressies for people in the UK and expenses linked to my house!?

Also, on a side note, my house in the UK, my tenant is moving out and I haven't got a new one yet, so I'll be paying next months mortgage myself, can I include that in my Aussie Tax Return like I did for expenses linked to the house last year?
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I'll probably keep it in my UK account, as now that it's being taxed and NI'd there'll probably be bugger all, so will I be taxed on it here? I'll just be using it for pressies for people in the UK and expenses linked to my house!?

Also, on a side note, my house in the UK, my tenant is moving out and I haven't got a new one yet, so I'll be paying next months mortgage myself, can I include that in my Aussie Tax Return like I did for expenses linked to the house last year?
You will not pay tax on the same income twice, any tax you pay in UK will be used as a credit against your tax bill in Australia.

My house is going to be empty from end of this month too, I have every intention of putting the mortgage interest down as an expense regardless, on grounds that it is available for rent.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 9:30 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

You will not pay tax on the same income twice, any tax you pay in UK will be used as a credit against your tax bill in Australia.

My house is going to be empty from end of this month too, I have every intention of putting the mortgage interest down as an expense regardless, on grounds that it is available for rent.
I can't really complain as it's been let for the last 15 months, but still, let's hope a new tenant is found quickly! lol My mortgage is interest only anyways...
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:07 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

You shouldn't get hit with NI when you are out of the country. Even people working in Sealand are exempt from NI

You will have your personal tax allowance in the UK.

If you want to keep things above board then you should check with the ATO if they are interested. You won't get taxed twice you just pay a top up if the Aussie tax is higher.

If the property is still going to be a rental you can still claim expenses and the ATO allows rental losses to be deducted against all income.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:25 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Rambi
You shouldn't get hit with NI when you are out of the country. Even people working in Sealand are exempt from NI

You will have your personal tax allowance in the UK.

If you want to keep things above board then you should check with the ATO if they are interested. You won't get taxed twice you just pay a top up if the Aussie tax is higher.

If the property is still going to be a rental you can still claim expenses and the ATO allows rental losses to be deducted against all income.
So how do I not pay NI then, who do I contact?
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:30 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

So how do I not pay NI then, who do I contact?
Not sure. I would be surprised that NI would be stopped as you are not an employee. If it is then you could get a refund by doing a tax return.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rambi
Not sure. I would be surprised that NI would be stopped as you are not an employee. If it is then you could get a refund by doing a tax return.
Tax returns concern income tax not NI, it won't be possible to get an NI refund through a tax return.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:46 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Tax returns concern income tax not NI, it won't be possible to get an NI refund through a tax return.
How then?!
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No idea, I have never heard of anyone even trying to do it, NI refunds are rare. I am not convinced that NI is not owed in this case myself, UK employment carried out in UK ...
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 11:22 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

No idea, I have never heard of anyone even trying to do it, NI refunds are rare. I am not convinced that NI is not owed in this case myself, UK employment carried out in UK ...
I'm no longer employed though, and this gratuity is from the government in recognition of the risks we took doing the job...
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 11:25 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Are you sure?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.