Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is the grass actually sometimes greener?

Is the grass actually sometimes greener?

Old Jun 4th 2009, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

Tricky Nicky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is the grass actually sometimes greener?

We are seriously looking into moving out to Oz and have obviously found the various theads very helpful.

However, without having to cover old ground (if that is possible), I would really appreciate some honest and as objective an input as possible from people with learned experience about whether a better life really can be found in Australia.

We are considering it for all the usual reasons, i.e general decline in standards and quality of life in UK, very poor and restrictive climate, extremely negative and exploitative media, incompetent government, ludicrous and ever growing layers of beaurocracy, yob culture, soaring crime etc etc. We are under no illusion that these aspects exist everywhere on the planet and are unavoidable but surely it is relative and certain nations such as Australia are on the whole safer, healthier, more positive, provide better future, better lifestyle etc.

I ask the question because some threads I have found to be very negative and almost offputting from the point of view that emigration will not necessarliy improve your life or that the same problems exist in Oz as in the UK. Why then would anyone emigrate or be attracted to emigrate in the first place?! What we are keen to avoid is going through the massive emotional and physical upheaveal only to find ourselves having gone from a fire into a frying pan to a degree. We realise that utopia doesn't exist anywhere on this planet but surely a better life all round can be found through emigration and the many thousands of people who emigrate to Oz from the UK every year aren't merely misguided individuals who ultimately learn a difficult lesson the hard way, i.e the grass isn't always greener!

Some honest and informative responses would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 1:46 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is the grass actually sometimes greener?

Honestly I think if you are emigrating because of the problems you see in the UK, then you will be dissapointed because so many of these same problems, and many different ones, exist in Australia.

However if you are emigrating because you are specifically looking for something about Australia (ie more time outdoors, warmer weather, etc) then you are likely to be really pleased with your decision.

I speak as someone who left the UK for Oz for the first reasons listed. Australia was great but it is in so many ways the same as here. Politicians are still corrupt, there is still crime, etc etc. We are ping ponging back again, this time with the knowledge that life will be pretty much the same (just warmer and in a bigger house)
Old Jun 4th 2009, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

taylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant future

The main reason we moved was because we preffered australia to england!!, we know that all the same old 'life' problems that everyone has from time to time, will happen no matter where we are, so we may aswell go through the trials of life in a place we love rather than a place we hate.lol

We had travelled oz for a year before we had our daughter, so know we loved it and was the reason behind our move, nearly all our family have had the travel bug and most live abroad (parents, brother and his wife in dubai, cousins in miami and hongkong, aunts in oz, all of our friends came out and traveled oz when we did and still continue to now)

We was stuck in a rut in uk (we lived in my parents uk house rent and bill free, living a pretty cushty lifestyle!!) i would spend half the year in dubai with my family anyway!

I do miss friends but have always been used to that as have always travelled and spent half my year away.

I miss my parents and my brother but am lucky to be in a position that my parents can come whenever they want (they are doing the costly parents visa) as can my brother and sil (they own a place here) and i can go to them whenever i want (i go to dubai in 6 weeks for 6 weeks for the birth of my niece,,yay)
We have a friend coming out for about a month soon, and my aunt in october, then i go to dubai again for xmas for a month, and my friend is coming to stay with us in dubai, so lots to look forward to!!

i do find it strange people just moving to oz if they have never been as how will you know if you will even like, i know i have been on weeks holidays before and hated it on site (spent about 24 hours in perth!!!)

So for us it wasnt some blinkered decsion that life was going to be fabulous and wonderful and all ok in oz, or the schools were better etc, it was because we simply liked it better than england or than anywhere else! We still srgue over the same things and moan about stuff but just in a place we love!
Plus our daughter (4)absolutley loves it here and is always making sure we are not going back to england!

Thats our reasons anyway, everyone is different though!

kelly
Old Jun 4th 2009, 2:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tricky Nicky
We are seriously looking into moving out to Oz and have obviously found the various theads very helpful.

However, without having to cover old ground (if that is possible), I would really appreciate some honest and as objective an input as possible from people with learned experience about whether a better life really can be found in Australia.

We are considering it for all the usual reasons, i.e general decline in standards and quality of life in UK, very poor and restrictive climate, extremely negative and exploitative media, incompetent government, ludicrous and ever growing layers of beaurocracy, yob culture, soaring crime etc etc. We are under no illusion that these aspects exist everywhere on the planet and are unavoidable but surely it is relative and certain nations such as Australia are on the whole safer, healthier, more positive, provide better future, better lifestyle etc.

I ask the question because some threads I have found to be very negative and almost offputting from the point of view that emigration will not necessarliy improve your life or that the same problems exist in Oz as in the UK. Why then would anyone emigrate or be attracted to emigrate in the first place?! What we are keen to avoid is going through the massive emotional and physical upheaveal only to find ourselves having gone from a fire into a frying pan to a degree. We realise that utopia doesn't exist anywhere on this planet but surely a better life all round can be found through emigration and the many thousands of people who emigrate to Oz from the UK every year aren't merely misguided individuals who ultimately learn a difficult lesson the hard way, i.e the grass isn't always greener!

Many of us have moved here because we are married to Aussies. I know I'm not alone in saying that staying in the UK would have been a preference, but with an Aussie partner there has to be give and take, as in any other relationship involving two nationalities. Life here for me is a case of same sh*t, different bucket. I don't think the weather is better, I don't think the lifestyle is better, and as for the old chestnuts of "extremely negative and exploitative media, incompetent government, ludicrous and ever growing layers of beaurocracy, yob culture, soaring crime, " after 6 years I don't see much difference from the uK - if anything Aus is worse.

Not negative, purely realistic.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 3:34 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

no its diffidently not greener, life can be hard if not harder when your so far away from home and I agree with pollyana same problems exist in Australia. I enjoyed our time in Australia but I'm loving being back home.

but if its a hotter climate your after then try it, but before you make the leap and risk every thing go for a month or two see what its like first see if its what your really looking for.

good luck hope you get the right answers

Last edited by Baby75; Jun 4th 2009 at 3:39 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:59 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Theres no yes or no answer to the question is life better in OZ, some people find life in OZ much better, others don't like it and move back,
It all depends on indvidual circumstances, such as how much you get homesick for the UK and friends and family, what part of OZ you move to, some places are much better then others, Can you find suitable employment that pays enough to have a good standard of living, Do your children like their new schools make friends and like OZ and so on.

Last edited by mohogony; Jun 4th 2009 at 7:03 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:01 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Is the grass actually sometimes greener?

Sometimes the grass is only greener on the other side because someone has smeared something unpleasantly biological on it.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

Aurelia is an unknown quantity at this point

The grass sometimes, quite frequently, is greener. But to continue with the analogy, it's like living in a duplex apartment, and your neighbor has an identical house, but a different color car, and so next to it, the grass looks a little brighter. Same stage, different actor, in other words.

I ended up settling in Latin America--which undoubtedly has many problems--but they are of a different sort. They don't generally tax foreigners (with a few exceptions, like Venezuela!), everything is MUCH cheaper, and the standard of life is MUCH higher. But there are trade offs. If the language and similar culture are what is really drawing you to Australia, and this is a major factor for you, then Latin American probably is not for you, but it's something to think about. I just feel like people don't think that much about alternatives outside the UK, USA, and Australia, but there's a whole other world out there that is also a viable alternative.

Hope this helped, Aurelia
Old Jun 4th 2009, 9:13 pm
Claire

Keg R will become famous soon enoughKeg R will become famous soon enough

Hello everyone, I'm sure that throughout life the grass always seems greener if you are comparing it. I am flying to Oz on the 5th July with my 3 kids and other half. I am really looking forward to it, it has taken 2 years of hard work to get where we are now. I'm just looking at it as a whole new experience and cant wait to taste the Australian lifestyle. After all, life is an experience so just make the most of it. The only way to do that is to put 100% into it, so if you want it, go and get it. Then after putting 100% in and not liking it, try something else.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

The grass is a different colour entirely! When planning to move to Australia, it pays to keep that in mind at all times.

I think the mistake a lot of people make when they emigrate is that they compare England to Australia. In doing so, they make the assumption that there should be things that are comparable.

So when they get here they say ooooohhh Coles is a pile of shite, I wish I could shop in Waitrose again. This is comparing Apples and Oranges.

Bar the obvious things (language, road rules etc.) Australia is so NOT the UK. It never fails to bemuse me that people just don't get that. For one thing it is a super dry continent in a different hemisphere.

My advice for a happy ending to emigrating to Australia is to embrace it's differences rather than constantly looking for what is missed in the "old country". If you are looking for a replacement England, in an attempt to escape social negatives, weather or whatever else, it's not going to work.

Last edited by dejags; Jun 4th 2009 at 9:38 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 10:43 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

In Australia it's browner.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 11:59 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Our grass is definately greener - but thats because its been raining for weeks.

More interestingly though the grass is different, its fatter, much more course and rougher to walk on and if you sit on it you'll get eaten alive by ants who are everywhere.

This analogy holds good for your situation - YES its warmer in much of Australia than the UK (although winters nights will have you freezing your bits off wondering why you dont have heating). However, there will be problems you havent anticpated that will make the weather seem a trivial unimportant detail.

lets pull apart some of your comments:
extremely negative and exploitative media - The idea of moving to Australia to get better media is laughable.. I mean seriously.. Australian media is possibly the worst in the world. Most of us who have made the trip from UK to here CRAVE a UK style media. Its a major downfall of Australia.

incompetent government, ludicrous and ever growing layers of beaurocracy - Moving to Australia to escape bureacracy? Think again, this place is red-tape heaven. Between various layers of council, state government and federal government theres always some government institution that you are required to get permission from before doing anything (Want to fart? Better do a TAFE course and a get a licence first!)

yob culture, soaring crime - Yobs/Bogans... its all the same and the 'soaring' crime (in both countries) is more likely a product of increasingly poorly researched and sensational journalism. Recently there was a news story about a 'stabbing rampage' at our local school. Unconfirmed reports that a student had attacked others with a 6" sharp knife resulting in ambulance and police attendance. After the news story died down and I heard the story from someone who was actually there it turns out someone slipped in home ec class while holding a knife and accidentaly scratched themselves (with over-zealous staff calling an ambulance to be uber-safe). There was no stabbing, no attack, no knife-weilding frenzy... it was all media speculation on the basis of 2 facts: a knife was involved, ambulance was called. - Learn to ignore media, you'll feel much better!
Old Jun 5th 2009, 12:50 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Agree pretty much with everything Dadagain has said. You have to have a completley open mind, be determined and with a bit of luck you'll be ok.

As for us, we have been here nearly 5 yrs now, and absolutely love the place.
We had never been here before and had no idea what the place was like.

Maybe we are lucky, i dunno but i believe you make your own luck. The friends we have made, the places we've seen, and our whole lifestyle is amazing.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

kkwall36 has a brilliant futurekkwall36 has a brilliant futurekkwall36 has a brilliant futurekkwall36 has a brilliant futurekkwall36 has a brilliant futurekkwall36 has a brilliant futurekkwall36 has a brilliant future

Life certainly depends on individual circumstances as has been frequently mentioned above.
Employment, schools, area etc etc will all have a factor, and the right choices will make life so much easier.
Life for us is better. We have a better work life balance, plenty of time outdoors, and have made some good friends, as have our kids.
I suppose the question is really can life be better!
Yes I think it can be. It would be perfect if frinds and family in the UK could drop by more frequently and without great expense!
Hope you make the right choices.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 7:08 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

It's not greener..... it's just different. You may like it or not, no one can answer this for you it's something you have to see for yourself.

As the others said though you'd be off to a bad start if you are only wanting to "leave" the UK rather than wanting to live in Australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.