GP Surgeries

Old Dec 12th 2007, 11:41 am
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of
Default GP Surgeries

How does this work over there with no free health service? Do you have to pay for each visit to your GP?
Old Dec 12th 2007, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

GaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really nice
Default Re: GP Surgeries

You register with medicare, if you are eligible.

You then have to register with a Doctors surgery, same as in the UK.

You don't pay for the visit to the doctor with medicare, only any drugs or treatment prescribed.

It is not free for children either, unless anyone knows any different? Our son just had some anti biotics and inhalers and it cost us over $100.00.

Not looked into private cover as yet, so can't comment on that side of things.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 2:54 pm
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of

Don't think I;m eligible for medicare on a 457 visa.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 6:42 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GaryKristensen

You don't pay for the visit to the doctor with medicare, only any drugs or treatment prescribed.

It is not free for children either, unless anyone knows any different? Our son just had some anti biotics and inhalers and it cost us over $100.00.

You don't *have* to register with a doctor but it does help because then he has your files.

Mostly you *do* have to pay to see a doctor - only the so-called bulkbilling ones don't charge upfront. For example our doc chrges $56, of which Medicare gives you around $32 IIRC as a refund.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 6:46 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve
Don't think I;m eligible for medicare on a 457 visa.

that's a whole new question. Do a search and you will come up with lots of answers on this one. Basically if you are British and have a NI number then you should get a medicare card (not full) under the Reciprocal Arrangements scheme.

In Victoria you do not have to register with one particular doctor - you can go anywhere. If the doctor in question bulk bills medicare then you don't have to pay anything. However, some doctors charge more than the medicare levy and you pay the gap (excess). Also some doctors don't bulk bill and you have to take the bill to the medicare office and claim it back yourself. Again, you may find that you don't get the full amount back but this is not usually a huge amount.

If you don't have a medicare card then you pay the GP and then claim it back from your health fund provider.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

here you don't need to register with a doctor.

we pay around $45 per consultation and we get about $32 back from medicare.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Antonia_and_Sean is just really niceAntonia_and_Sean is just really niceAntonia_and_Sean is just really niceAntonia_and_Sean is just really niceAntonia_and_Sean is just really niceAntonia_and_Sean is just really niceAntonia_and_Sean is just really niceAntonia_and_Sean is just really nice

So does this mean if we register with a doctor then they apply to our surgery in the UK for medical records or do we go over with a copy?
All so much more confusing!
Old Dec 12th 2007, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

If you find a doctor you like and want to stick with, then yes, I would register with them. If you have copies of your medical records then take them along with you but unless you have a very ordinary medical history I would just start from scratch and let them build up a history from here. Obviously if you have a pre-existing condition or significant intervention in the past then give them as much info as possible so you dont have to reinvent the wheel.

Suggest that for your first appointment, you ask for a long appointment - it doesnt cost you that much more financially (get a better medicare return for a long appointment!) and you have more time to give them the background for important features in your past.

We have other sorts of practices where the doctors are less stable (ie you wont necessarily get the same doctors every time you visit) and they tend to bulk bill - around here they are called "suburb" medical centre. The others are more stable practices IMHO.

My parents were always able to get a medicare card for their long stays in Aus so I assume you will still be entitled to basic medicare. Private health insurance is essentially irrelevant for community based medicine - it is generally to cover hospital admissions. One thing that private medicine will do is give you some rebate on very very expensive medicines which are prescribed as essential over a certain amount otherwise you still have to pay the basic cost.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
You don't *have* to register with a doctor but it does help because then he has your files.

Mostly you *do* have to pay to see a doctor - only the so-called bulkbilling ones don't charge upfront. For example our doc chrges $56, of which Medicare gives you around $32 IIRC as a refund.
grrrrrrrrr
Old Dec 12th 2007, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicare_%28Australia%29
Old Dec 12th 2007, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

kaz101 will become famous soon enoughkaz101 will become famous soon enough

I'm in South Australia and went to the GP this week and I had to pay too. I had already registered with them and the charge for the visit was $57 but if I paid then I only paid $53 ($4 discount) and the next day I took the invoice into Medicare and then paid me back $32, so it cost me $21 for that visit.

I'm not sure if it's any cheaper if you have private health care since I haven't sorted that out yet.

Regards,
Karen
Old Dec 12th 2007, 10:51 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
grrrrrrrrr
D'you know, when I wrote that I just *knew* someone would take exception <g>.

OK: he, she or it (taking the possibility of an alien having a medical degree...)

(Only joking - as were you)
Old Dec 12th 2007, 11:02 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaz101
I'm in South Australia and went to the GP this week and I had to pay too. I had already registered with them and the charge for the visit was $57 but if I paid then I only paid $53 ($4 discount) and the next day I took the invoice into Medicare and then paid me back $32, so it cost me $21 for that visit.

I'm not sure if it's any cheaper if you have private health care since I haven't sorted that out yet.

Regards,
Karen
Private health cover does not cover doctor visits. There are doctors who bulk bill, which means you do not pay anything at the time of the visit, they submit the claim to Medicare direct. If you don't want to pay for your visits then find a bulk billing doctor. I know of a really nice surgery in Adelaide just off Northeast Rd at Muller Rd who bulk bill if you're interested.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

kaz101 will become famous soon enoughkaz101 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I know of a really nice surgery in Adelaide just off Northeast Rd at Muller Rd who bulk bill if you're interested.
There is more to South Australia than Adelaide
I'm in Mount Gambier about 400kms away from Adelaide. Our GP doesn't do bulk billing and if they send it to Medicare I lose the $4 discount - I know it's not a lot but every little helps (sorry isn't that Tescos slogan?).

Thanks for the offer though.

Karen
Old Dec 12th 2007, 11:16 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaz101
There is more to South Australia than Adelaide
I'm in Mount Gambier about 400kms away from Adelaide. Our GP doesn't do bulk billing and if they send it to Medicare I lose the $4 discount - I know it's not a lot but every little helps (sorry isn't that Tescos slogan?).

Thanks for the offer though.

Karen
Guess I should have looked at your location. Sorry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.