Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

GP medical records

GP medical records

Old Oct 23rd 2005, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice
Default GP medical records

Does anyone know if you are able to take a copy of your medical history from the UK to Australia when you go. Any replies appreciated.
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 1:03 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GP medical records

Yes you can ask your GP for a copy

GP's over here wont be bothered.

Over here you dont have a GP like you do in uk - you go to one of a number of practices , you can go to any. The govt pays a fixed amount, some advertise as 'bulk billing' wihch means free (the govt amount covers it) others are not and charge more than the govt subsidy so you pay the differnce (a few bucks).

you can go to any one at any time, if you go to a new one they will take a short medical history.

You dont really need them.
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 1:10 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

whilst on a fairly rare visit to my gp i asked them about this.
they've never had to deal with this, so just refused.
i quoted the freedom of info act, access to health records act and the data protection act, but they still refused, despite a long and detailed explanation as to why id need them. (my son has a detailed examination in his notes about a cardioresp arrest he suffered as a 3 month old.....want to take that just in case it happens again).
i think i will have to go through the fc&s !!

sue
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Thanks to Spalen and T/W/T for your replies I will broach the subject next time I am at the Doc's and see what they say. It was interesting to hear that the Doctors in Australia are not really bothered. My wife has quite a complex medical history so we were wanting to take a copy just to save a few hours going through it with anyone who might need to know.
Thanks again Rob
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
i quoted the freedom of info act, access to health records act and the data protection act, but they still refused, despite a long and detailed explanation as to why id need them. (my son has a detailed examination in his notes about a cardioresp arrest he suffered as a 3 month old.....want to take that just in case it happens again).

sue
hi there,any decent surgery will download your records for a minimal fee,
they are your records after all,they cannot refuse to disclose them to you,
chase them up the lazt b******s.
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 4:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pogsy
Thanks to Spalen and T/W/T for your replies I will broach the subject next time I am at the Doc's and see what they say. It was interesting to hear that the Doctors in Australia are not really bothered. My wife has quite a complex medical history so we were wanting to take a copy just to save a few hours going through it with anyone who might need to know.
Thanks again Rob

If you have a complex medical history then take your records. I would also make a point of getting hold of children's immunisation and health records.

As far as I know, the doctor should provide them under the law. If they refuse to, then complain higher up in the NHS (write to your MP for assistance if necessary).

If you're an adult without a history of medical issues, it's not a significant issue.

Jeremy
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 6:20 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins

sue
Before having the children i used to work for a solicitors dealing with car crashes. We had to get gp notes for medical reports etc and with an authority from the client, and a fee of course, they were gladly sent. So it makes me mad when GP's refuse copies of your OWN records but send them to any tom dick and harry for a fee!!

Karen (mrs Wargod)

Last edited by wargod; Oct 23rd 2005 at 8:13 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 9:18 pm
Off to Melbourne Dec2005

jules and mark is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I have just asked my GP surgery who refered me on to the local health authority regarding medical records. They kindly informed that your GP surgery can photocopy your records by request at a charge, or you can once you have left the UK and if the aussie GP wishes a copy of your records you can get a copy from your old local health authority for a charge ( dont know how much)

Good Luck

Julie
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jules and mark
Hi,
I have just asked my GP surgery who refered me on to the local health authority regarding medical records. They kindly informed that your GP surgery can photocopy your records by request at a charge, or you can once you have left the UK and if the aussie GP wishes a copy of your records you can get a copy from your old local health authority for a charge ( dont know how much)

Good Luck

Julie
Thanks for your input.

Rob