Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Got our visas sorted now for the compicated bits.

Got our visas sorted now for the compicated bits.

Old Aug 23rd 2006, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Got our visas sorted now for the compicated bits.

Visas have been granted and we've sent our passports to have the little bits of (very important) paper stuck in to them. So I've started getting agents round to tell me how much I can rent my house for and we've begun to explore travel options.

We've been to STA travel so far (even though we're not students) and Thomas Cook in the bullring (B'ham) as they were recommended by the Australia.com website.

We wanted to fly before Christmas day and spend Xmas day somewhere exotic. So STA have found us a flight from B'ham to Dubai on the 23rd and Thomas Cook(TC) have found us one from London to Singapore. Then we decided to spend New Year in Perth. SO we can fly there from either destination and arrive on the 28th of Jan.

Is there a lot to do in Perth? Because this is where the decisions become a little more complicated. One has us staying in Perth for 9 nights. The other off to Alice Springs after 3.
The TC agents said that going to Alice Springs before Adelaide was going back on ourselves, (doesn't look like it on a map to me!) and advised we went there first. Now Adelaide does look interesting, books say Victorian culture etc. TC have us staying there for 5 nights before going to Alice Springs.

Both have us going on coach tours around Ayres rock etc. One (STA travel) has a coach tour that shows the outback and drives you to Adelaide.

Another question... I think the the TC way of seeing OZ (hotels, flights and coach tours ) won't be as cool as a little bit of hotel luxury over New Year and then The Oz experience tour from Alice Springs to Adelaide and then,... hiring a car from Adelaide to Sydney so that we can pick and choose where we go and where we stay.

One offers stability, planning and strict ordinary the other a little bit more adventure.

And all of this before we finally settle down to jobs, houses etc in Sydney.

What do you advice those who have already done some of this??
All advice gratefully received! What experience have you had that might help
us?
Old Aug 24th 2006, 8:06 am
Oz here we are!!!

JoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really nice
Default Re: Got our visas sorted now for the compicated bits.

Not a particularly informed reply but I would go for adventure every time! You will prob only do this trip once so might as well get as much as possible out of it.

Also as we are heading for Perth we obviously think it's a great place so would recommend a bit of extra time there.

Good luck! Sounds like you are going to have an amazing trip whichever way you decide to do it.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Hi, have you had a look at either travelbag ( in Solihull ) or trailfinders in Brum city center ( near the square peg ) as they will in my opinion give you a better deal than the standard travel agents. We spent x-mas in Thailand and thought it was great spending the day in the roof top pool and sun-baking ( see how Australian i have become ). Good luck.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenjc
Hi, have you had a look at either travelbag ( in Solihull ) or trailfinders in Brum city center ( near the square peg ) as they will in my opinion give you a better deal than the standard travel agents. We spent x-mas in Thailand and thought it was great spending the day in the roof top pool and sun-baking ( see how Australian i have become ). Good luck.

No not yet but thanks for the advice!

It looks like we'll fly to Perth then Alice Springs maybe to Adelaide and get a car to look at some of VIC, ACT and NSW.
On another thread I've been talking about where to settle once we're done travelling and I've realised that we'll probably make that decision as we're travelling about! So hiring cars it is!
Old Aug 24th 2006, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mochinbach
No not yet but thanks for the advice!

It looks like we'll fly to Perth then Alice Springs maybe to Adelaide and get a car to look at some of VIC, ACT and NSW.
On another thread I've been talking about where to settle once we're done travelling and I've realised that we'll probably make that decision as we're travelling about! So hiring cars it is!
Good Luck!

Glad we're not the only ones who haven't decided on a place to settle and are hoping to decide whilst we're travelling around! We're getting married 3 weeks before we leave for Oz in June 2007 so we're thinking of it as a great big adventure honeymoon!

Stella xx