Reload this Page >

Got me a badass 4WD!

Wikiposts

Got me a badass 4WD!

Old Sep 21st 2003, 6:52 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by dotty
It becomes very relevant when you cant sell the bloody thing when you want to get rid of it! All the above is useless if nobody will trade it in, or buy it.
another person who believes the rubbish about imported vehicles....dealers love them because they can make 10% when buying in just by telling the unaware that they're worth less cos they're an import.Its all bull shit.The only places in the world this stigma is attached to imports is the UK and its followers ,Aus and NZ.Its like any subject,if you know it you know the pit falls and nearly all of Joe Public has'nt got a clue.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 7:16 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by deedee
another person who believes the rubbish about imported vehicles....dealers love them because they can make 10% when buying in just by telling the unaware that they're worth less cos they're an import.Its all bull shit.The only places in the world this stigma is attached to imports is the UK and its followers ,Aus and NZ.Its like any subject,if you know it you know the pit falls and nearly all of Joe Public has'nt got a clue.

We did'nt get where we are today without this rubbish though deedee.

"Rip off Britian"...Who else would put up with it. Good job we're all too polite to complain.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Fraid not. I am a person who has personal knowledge of someone who has been trying to get rid of these cars for months. They want to trade it in and no dealer will accept it, because they reckon they cant sell them. Also been for sale privately too, not one bite. Simple as that. I am aware they meet all regulations blah blah but people here dont want to buy them.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 8:46 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of Aussie 4wds have a harshness ,you dont see in the imported models, probably due to the vehicles being built for japanese freeways and not Aussie outback conditions , remember a lot testing is done , in the Flinders Ranges , of sth OZ the overseas car builders reckon ,if you can survive these conditions you,ll survive any thing........ MM
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 12:28 am
Badge

i'm with Dundee on this one. Go for a good Toyota. Hilux would be my choice.

I see that the L200 (Mitsy) is now on sale for 14,999 in the UK.

Can't speak for imports though.

Old Sep 22nd 2003, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

It becomes very relevant when you cant sell the bloody thing when you want to get rid of it! All the above is useless if nobody will trade it in, or buy it.
Makes perfect sense to me, dealers in UK will not touch imports due to dubious history, spec etc. Pick imports up cheap as chips for one reason, no bugger wants them.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 9:57 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

Interesting replies!

A few more facts. I got fully comp insurance, NZD250 excess plus another 250 excess until I get a permanent address - cost NZD450 for a year, a pleasant surprise. Getting a dual immobiliser + alarm fitted now, NZD600 incl fitting but this means insurance company will not charge excess in case of theft or damage from attempted break-in.

One tank diesel (60 litres I think) costs under NZD40 (GBP14) and should be good for 600kms fully loaded.

Got 2 brand new batteries as car was stuttering to start when I drove it away and the dealer was a bit embarrassed - worth NZD120 (maybe they put duff ones in before I collected it when I wasn`t looking?!!!)

Stigma - the dealers sure play on people`s fear of imports here, making out `NZ new` is a good thing. Doesn`t stick with me - I reckon some rich Japanese flyboy just had my Surf (SSR-G by the way) sitting in a garage looking good for 6 years as 50000 kms isn`t very much. Great condition, wife not too keen on the wooden dash but not a scratch on it. Resale - Jap import Surfs are extremely popular here, don`t anticipate a problem.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 11:37 am
owieb

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Resale - Jap import Surfs are extremely popular here, don`t anticipate a problem.
Same in Perth, no worries on the resale at all. We've had so many people comment on it and ask would we be interested in selling it. Quite amazing!

Just like yours, it was probably sitting in someones garage in Japan doing buggar all. Low kms and probably never been off-road.

Old Sep 23rd 2003, 6:11 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

perhaps its because there is such a huge over supply of vehicles globally that its hard to shift on imports.The things people neglect to compare is how easy it is to shift on anything these days,import or not.Dealers are always quick to point out imports won't sell(as well) but when you look at their own sales figures their backs are to the wall too,in every country.I wonder why nearly as many imports were sold in the UK last year as were UK dealer supply vehicles?In NZ i'm told there are now more grey imports than NZ new!UK vehicles have only one main differance between Jap spec, a little more underseal to cope with salt on the UK roads and on most high performance vehicles a 160kph limiter.The differances are so slight that most people would not know!(maybe they would suss out the radio won't tune in)
I think the main points about vehicle sales are missed.Whatever the vehicle,in the UK now you have a one in three chance of having incorrect milage or altered history if you buy a used vehicle.You might not know if the history is right as an import but you also don't if its right as a UK supplied one.
Just as a note to anyone who is going to buy,Toyota have an 18% margin on their Hilux range and if you drive a hard bargin you will get that full margin off,and we did'nt buy imports because NZ new was as good a value and we wanted the 3 year manufacturer warrenty.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 8:52 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

I've read deedee's replies before re vehicles.

To me they are always extremely accurate and articulate. I would be surprised if anyone could 'out-knowledge' this guy.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 11:07 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

perhaps its because there is such a huge over supply of vehicles globally that its hard to shift on imports.The things people neglect to compare is how easy it is to shift on anything these days,import or not.Dealers are always quick to point out imports won't sell(as well) but when you look at their own sales figures their backs are to the wall too,in every country.I wonder why nearly as many imports were sold in the UK last year as were UK dealer supply vehicles?In NZ i'm told there are now more grey imports than NZ new!UK vehicles have only one main differance between Jap spec, a little more underseal to cope with salt on the UK roads and on most high performance vehicles a 160kph limiter.The differances are so slight that most people would not know!(maybe they would suss out the radio won't tune in)
I think the main points about vehicle sales are missed.Whatever the vehicle,in the UK now you have a one in three chance of having incorrect milage or altered history if you buy a used vehicle.You might not know if the history is right as an import but you also don't if its right as a UK supplied one.
Just as a note to anyone who is going to buy,Toyota have an 18% margin on their Hilux range and if you drive a hard bargin you will get that full margin off,and we did'nt buy imports because NZ new was as good a value and we wanted the 3 year manufacturer warrenty.
WE have Toyota Soarers, and Nissan skyline ,gsr ,gsx 200zx ,300zx, by the bucket load ,due to South Australia having no ,road whorthyness checks prior to registration, these car tend to get dumped here . What the importers can,t off load up the EAST COAST, due to faults get dumped in Sth oz , you can pick up a bargain for $10,000, but a lot of young drivers who buy these cars cant handle the power............ MM