Wikiposts

Got a job..

Old Mar 21st 2004, 6:15 pm
Badge

Default Got a job..

This morning, went for an interview... as I got on the tram back to Flinders Street....got the call from the Agent with the congrats..

So....the bad news it took me 5 weeks. But the first 2 of that was spent buggering around with my new house, etc etc. I also got through to the last 2 on a real prize of a job (for which the company had been scouring Melbourne for weeks).

I know many on this forum in IT walked in to work the week they arrived; some claim to have spent a year looking for casual work so I'm not going to cry about it..

Anyhow, how I got the job:

On Friday just gone, happened to talk to a recuitment agent - who turned out to be a Pom(!) and she asked me to come in for 11am this morning. Had nothing else planned, so I said "Yes Sir....three bags full Sir etc.."

5 mins later had a call from a bloke (also a Pom) who sounded very excited. "So you went to school in xxxxxx.? served in that such and such a regiment etc"

I said "yeah - who is this?"

The bloke turned out to be the agent's account manager, and he asked me - he had obviously read my CV - if I fancied a game of rugby and an introduction to his club. Furthermore did I fancy a pint over England vs Wales the following night?

Did I?

10 mins later, he calls back, even more excited.

"Mate. Forget seeing my agent at 11am . I've put you straight in to an interview at 11am instead. This is what you say, this is what you do". [Full debrief etc on client etc - his fav color, shoe size, he's a 'top bloke' yadda yadda] .

Went to interview feeling hangover, got on like a house on fire with the developers, and the Director was a straight-talking true blue Aussie - "I'm fair - all I ask is that you just do the work. Don't come in pissed, don't take drugs, OK?". We chatted for 5 mins, then he said "I can see we have been reading the same books."

I'll check with my 2 blokes you're OK technically and will get back to you."

He got back 30mins later!

Money is good too. More money than I had budgeted on commanding here in Melbourne. In salary terms, 3 * national average, 1.5 * the rate I was expecting to command as a minumum.

Its more money, in some ways, (even in real terms) than I was earning in the UK.

So stick with it, people!

Badge

PS This arvo I met with a local businessman who offered me some freelance work; he wants to form an alliance. I am not necessarily going to knock him back as he lives 5 mins away. Bit of homework I reckon.

Buses eh; you wait bloody half an hour, then two come along at once..

Old Mar 21st 2004, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Congratulations you lucky poop.

Old Mar 21st 2004, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

pabloako is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Got a job..

Better situation down there than it is up here in Sunny Brisbane!

Well done dude.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Dawn Adams will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by badgersmount
This morning, went for an interview... as I got on the tram back to Flinders Street....got the call from the Agent with the congrats..
Onya Badge. Way to go.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Congrats badge, what did you do to get 3 times the average income Second thoughts I dont think you can put that on here

Seriously badge, Congratualatons
Old Mar 21st 2004, 6:54 pm
WBB

well done badge, i hope i dont find a job as quickly though.

Old Mar 21st 2004, 6:59 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Well done mate.

It's a great relief to get that job isn't it?
Old Mar 21st 2004, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Well done!
Old Mar 21st 2004, 7:15 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Badge! Looks like we're both celebrating tonight!!!

Pollyana, no longer on a Pros Spouse Visa!!!
Old Mar 21st 2004, 7:25 pm
Badge

Originally posted by MikeStanton \
Well done!
Mike; you're going to make me cry you old bugger.

Old Mar 21st 2004, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Congrats Badge

Hope it works out well for you.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

bazfer is an unknown quantity at this point

congratulations Badger
Old Mar 21st 2004, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Nice one Badge.

Relief to get a start. Took me 10 weeks.

BTW to help out the lazy bastards like me, what is the average Aussie wage?
Old Mar 21st 2004, 8:31 pm
Badge

Originally posted by Nibbs
Nice one Badge.

Relief to get a start.

BTW to help outthe lazy bastards like me, what is the average Aussie wage?
I gather from this site that it is something like 35K. But that may have been Perth numbers. In Sydney I knew PA/Secretaries who were on as 'much' as 47K....I expected no less than 60K in Melbourne and that is kinda of low but I was told that I was new.....maybe 70k would be better. In Sydney I would expect 70-80K???

I am on a 6 figure salary!!!! I'm still shaking my head...:scared: :scared: :scared:

Old Mar 21st 2004, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Badge, ya jammy dodger!!!
:PARTY:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.