Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Got the grant letter but......

Got the grant letter but......

Old Nov 20th 2002, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

kango_jack will become famous soon enoughkango_jack will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Got the grant letter but......

Its funny how you anticipate how happy you will be when you finally get the Grant letter but things are never that simple….
We received the pre-grant letter by e-mail last week, totally out of the blue as we had come to the conclusion that although medicals were sent in June that we wouldn’t hear anything until the new year. Then yesterday we received the final grant letter from Adelaide – we would have been over the moon if only we hadn’t been informed on the same day that our house sale was probably about to fall through.
What is so frustrating is that due to the English laws on selling houses we have no come back for being let down at the last step. We sold the house in September and were told that the chain had to complete at the end of October so we moved out in plenty of time, (living with parents at the moment). Everyone in the chain has signed the contracts and given over the deposits except the b******s at the bottom of the chain who have yet to hand over any money…….
We now face the prospect of re-selling the house we moved out of nearly a month ago which we are still paying the mortgage, insurance, heating etc for.
Anyone know anyone looking for a 3 bed bungalow in Poole in dorset?
No real point to our post, we just felt we needed to share our disappointment with the rest of the forum.
Anyway good luck to all those waiting, hope your luck is better than ours.
Annie & Paul
Old Nov 20th 2002, 8:11 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear your news. Hope that things turn out OK soon.

Chin up
Old Nov 20th 2002, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Got the grant letter but......

Originally posted by kango_jack
Its funny how you anticipate how happy you will be when you finally get the Grant letter but things are never that simple….
We received the pre-grant letter by e-mail last week, totally out of the blue as we had come to the conclusion that although medicals were sent in June that we wouldn’t hear anything until the new year. Then yesterday we received the final grant letter from Adelaide – we would have been over the moon if only we hadn’t been informed on the same day that our house sale was probably about to fall through.
What is so frustrating is that due to the English laws on selling houses we have no come back for being let down at the last step. We sold the house in September and were told that the chain had to complete at the end of October so we moved out in plenty of time, (living with parents at the moment). Everyone in the chain has signed the contracts and given over the deposits except the b******s at the bottom of the chain who have yet to hand over any money…….
We now face the prospect of re-selling the house we moved out of nearly a month ago which we are still paying the mortgage, insurance, heating etc for.
No real point to our post, we just felt we needed to share our disappointment with the rest of the forum.
Annie & Paul
Hi there folks,

So sorry to hear things aren't going that well. Pretty awful actually. I know there's nothing I can do, ie buy your house but if you want to scream, shout or just plain moan then feel free.

Hope things pick up.

Ginny
Old Nov 20th 2002, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi KJ,
Housing market not 'normal' at the moment. Hopefully you'll get new buyers fairly quickly, and maybe the price has gone up since september?

Congrats on the pre grant. Still rather be in your shoes than mine.
Cheers
Mash..

Annie & Paul
Old Nov 20th 2002, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

springflower will become famous soon enough

Hi

So sorry to hear about your house sale falling through, things never seem to run smoothly do they. I am sure you will have a buyer soon so keep your chin up. On the positive side at least you have the one thing that most of us would die for at the moment. Good luck for the future I hope everything works out fine for you.

Jan
Old Nov 21st 2002, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

sophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant future

Ironically my brother and his fiancee will probably be looking for something along those lines (they live in Bournemouth, but Poole isn't that far away).. but not until June/July!

Hope you get a good buyer through soon!

Soph
Old Nov 21st 2002, 4:59 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Annie & Paul
Typical whingeing Pom. You've just got you're visa for Gods sake, many people would kill their grannies for one of those.

Your house will probably be worth 10 grand more when you eventually sell it.
Old Nov 21st 2002, 5:00 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Annie & Paul
Typical whingeing Pom. You've just got your visa for God's sake, many people would kill their grannies for one of those.

Old Nov 21st 2002, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Originally posted by renth
Typical whingeing Pom. You've just got your visa for God's sake, many people would kill their grannies for one of those.

Renth, You will go down a storm in Australia, Mate. The guy only wanted to sound off and relieve his frustration at what we all know is a very frustrating situation... He's not a "whingeing Pom" - he's a normal guy going through the huge stress of emigrating - give him a break.
Old Nov 21st 2002, 5:33 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally posted by pommiesheila
Renth, You will go down a storm in Australia, Mate. The guy only wanted to sound off and relieve his frustration at what we all know is a very frustrating situation... He's not a "whingeing Pom" - he's a normal guy going through the huge stress of emigrating - give him a break.
"oh no, woe is me, I've just been granted Australian Residency and I've had a hiccup selling my house"

Spare a thought for those like Brumby, good people, trying to scrape points together to realize their Aussie dream.

People don't realize their own luck, like the pommies I've met in Oz, lucky enough to be married to Austrlians or defacto who would otherwise stand no chance of getting in.
Old Nov 21st 2002, 6:32 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by renth
"
People don't realize their own luck, like the pommies I've met in Oz, lucky enough to be married to Austrlians or defacto who would otherwise stand no chance of getting in.
Explains alot , thats why the Aussies love the Brits we steal their women?
Old Nov 21st 2002, 7:44 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

Renth,

I agree with Pommieshiela.....leave kangojack alone...youre only jealous and I think that's why you're offloading your bitterness....
Old Nov 21st 2002, 11:36 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally posted by yvsie
Renth,

I agree with Pommieshiela.....leave kangojack alone...youre only jealous and I think that's why you're offloading your bitterness....
Jealous, of what? I've got my PR. When I was granted it, after being rejected 10 years previously, was one of the happiest days of my life.

Maybe kangojack should be posting to alt.houses.selling.sobstories with the footnote ...."but on the bright side we got our PRs - hooray!"
Old Nov 21st 2002, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

kango_jack will become famous soon enoughkango_jack will become famous soon enough

Thanks to all those people offering their support - as always nice to read replies from people who can offer back-up when things don't turn out as expected.
I can't really be bothered to reply to the negative replies as we use this site for help, support and advice, if people can't offer these then why bother replying.
I know there are many people waiting for their visa's and I especially feel for those who have waited for well in excess of a year. We know we are truely lucky but at the moment freeing our capital so that we can use our visa's is our biggest worry.
Good luck to those waiting.
Annie
Old Nov 21st 2002, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

sylvie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Annie,

First of all congratulations on obtaining your visa - I'm so happy for you and your family.
On the otherhand it's a real blow about your house sale - I really hope that you manage to find a buyer quickly. Take no notice of the negative replies - some people have no heart. It's an awful situation for you - you're all set to move to OZ and this had to happen. Try to make the best of this situation : no matter how bad. Perhaps you could nominate a family member to sign the next contract on your behalf and so you would still be able to move to oz. Or else if you opt to stay, then use this time to sit for your exams as we had discussed previously.
Whatever your decision, best of luck and I'll keep in touch with you via e-mail (since our PC will be shut down at the end of this month - container shipment).
Take care,
Sylvie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.