Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good value second hand family car?

Good value second hand family car?

Old Jan 5th 2004, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Location: Sydney since February (and loving it!), London before that.
pangit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good value second hand family car?

What would be a good value, reliable family estate/wagon in Oz? To give you an idea of what I'm after, I currently drive (in the UK) a 1992 VW Passat estate with 130,000 miles on the clock, that cost me £2000 3 years ago and has given me no trouble since. So I'm not after anything flash, just cheap and reliable.

Perhaps the Holden Commodore? Are Holdens/Fords significantly cheaper than imports due to being made in Oz? Or should I also look at Japanese cars?

I know second hand values are much higher than in UK, so I'm thinking of spending around AU$10-15K. Would I get something equivalent for this price?

Lots of questions - sorry. Any advice from those of you already in Oz would be much appreciated.

Pangit
Old Jan 5th 2004, 3:55 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

The Red Book
1992 HOLDEN COMMODORE
average kms 170,000 - 210,000
trade in price guide* $2,900 - $4,000
national average price - private sale* $3,800 - $5,800

Last edited by Megalania; Jan 5th 2004 at 3:58 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 4:56 pm
True Blue Aussie

gavo is an unknown quantity at this point

Whatever you do... STAY AWAY from the EA Ford Falcon (1988-early 1991).
Old Jan 5th 2004, 7:21 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good value second hand family car?

Originally posted by pangit
What would be a good value, reliable family estate/wagon in Oz? To give you an idea of what I'm after, I currently drive (in the UK) a 1992 VW Passat estate with 130,000 miles on the clock, that cost me £2000 3 years ago and has given me no trouble since. So I'm not after anything flash, just cheap and reliable.

Perhaps the Holden Commodore? Are Holdens/Fords significantly cheaper than imports due to being made in Oz? Or should I also look at Japanese cars?

I know second hand values are much higher than in UK, so I'm thinking of spending around AU$10-15K. Would I get something equivalent for this price?

Lots of questions - sorry. Any advice from those of you already in Oz would be much appreciated.

Pangit
Toyota Camry...they go perfect with a knitted cardigan.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:18 pm
True Blue Aussie

gavo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default spot on

yeah for a reliable, value car I don't think you could go past the camry...

and it sure does fit the "Family" title...

go the cardies!!!
Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:22 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Pangit
Go for a Japanese car, not an Aussie car if you want reliability.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:26 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Amazulu
Go for a Japanese car, not an Aussie car if you want reliability.
Quite right.

Try www.autotrader.com.au and see what comes up in that price range.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 10:09 am
Just Joined

I don't mind being in the cardy and slippers brigade! After all, I'm a Passat driver here in the UK!!

The Camry sounds just right for me, thanks for the advice folks!
Old Jan 6th 2004, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point

What would be a good value, reliable family estate/wagon in Oz? To give you an idea of what I'm after, I currently drive (in the UK) a 1992 VW Passat estate
You want a mitsubishi magna wagon. Heaps better built and better economy than the rwd competition while the V6 is no slouch. Buy an auto as the manual won't be a drivers car in the same way the passat isn't. Happy hunting...

Last edited by evorobin; Jan 6th 2004 at 12:45 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

I have a workmate from NZ and he says to be careful of second hand Japanese imports particulary if they begin with M ie Mitsibushi, Mazda etc. Apparently the Japs thrash their cars to death, also parts can be hard to come by.

Allegedly
Old Jan 7th 2004, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by migrantoz
I have a workmate from NZ and he says to be careful of second hand Japanese imports particulary if they begin with M ie Mitsibushi, Mazda etc. Apparently the Japs thrash their cars to death, also parts can be hard to come by.

Allegedly
Mitsubishi are made in adelaide so won't be imports. Just a warning about ageing commodores the build is a tad shoddy and falcon's are famous for their thirst and also very ugly. Coming from a Passat the FWD Magna layout will be familiar for it's understeer:lecture:
Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by evorobin
Mitsubishi are made in adelaide so won't be imports. Just a warning about ageing commodores the build is a tad shoddy and falcon's are famous for their thirst and also very ugly. Coming from a Passat the FWD Magna layout will be familiar for it's understeer:lecture:
Does anyone know if the Mitsibushi utes are imports or SA built?
Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Is the Camry also built in Oz?

I believe you can also get it slightly cheaper rebadged as a Holden Apollo. Is there any disadvantage of this compared with the Camry?