Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good value $8K to take 3 yr old car??

Good value $8K to take 3 yr old car??

Old Oct 8th 2003, 3:47 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about
Question Good value $8K to take 3 yr old car??

Having looked at the prices of new cars, cars that are 3 years old & the cost to ship them, it still seems reasonable value, anyone concur?
The car is just 3 years old Renault Laguna, worth about £5k tops here but a good car that i have owned since new, it's paid for but is it worth taking.
It has air con, but does that mean it's upto the job of initially being our first car for 12months then the 2nd car thereafter.
Help please on any experience.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 3:52 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Good value $8K to take 3 yr old car??

Originally posted by DavidT
Having looked at the prices of new cars, cars that are 3 years old & the cost to ship them, it still seems reasonable value, anyone concur?
The car is just 3 years old Renault Laguna, worth about £5k tops here but a good car that i have owned since new, it's paid for but is it worth taking.
It has air con, but does that mean it's upto the job of initially being our first car for 12months then the 2nd car thereafter.
Leave it here mate.

We looked into shipping my wifes clio...

The only cars that are really worth shipping are prestige models.

Your renault will be nothing but problems when somthing goes wrong. There are only 2 renault garages in the whole of aus, so getting spares would be an issue. This in turn would probably lead to a low resale as its going to be an import.

For the equivilent of about 7-8 thousand pounds out there you could buy a really nice commodore/falcon or magna, about 2 years old, which are cheap to service and don't loose thier resale at too drastic a rate.

Just my opinion however....i am sure everyone elses differ.

PS....i would have thought a 3 yr old laguna would be worth mroe than 5k? My wifes clio is worth about 6.5k and thats 2 years old.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 4:02 pm
WBB

would have to agree with pete, save your shipping cash and sell the car, and use this to buy a great big 4wd.

just my opinion

good luck

Old Oct 8th 2003, 4:28 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

Thanks chaps, I will follow your sound advice.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 4:34 pm
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice

Originally posted by DavidT
For whats its worth you could get a brand new car in aussie for next to nothing, my husband as just bought a nissan patrol, dual fuel big bugger and that was $15,000 i have looked at the daewoo models for myself when i get there brand new models i might add and they are more or less the same price as a second hand car
:lecture:
you are better selling yours here then buying new in aus....they seem to keep their value to when you want to sell it again...
Old Oct 8th 2003, 4:42 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by johanne
For whats its worth you could get a brand new car in aussie for next to nothing, my husband as just bought a nissan patrol, dual fuel big bugger and that was $15,000 i have looked at the daewoo models for myself when i get there brand new models i might add and they are more or less the same price as a second hand car
:lecture:
you are better selling yours here then buying new in aus....they seem to keep their value to when you want to sell it again...
Johanne....you sure your hubbies Patrol was'nt secondhand? The list price for a Patrol is over 40k, and thats + taxes....
Old Oct 8th 2003, 4:46 pm

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice

Originally posted by PeteY
Johanne....you sure your hubbies Patrol was'nt secondhand? The list price for a Patrol is over 40k, and thats + taxes....
Hi pete yes it is second-hand but he says it was in good nick and he had seen others that were older and more expensive so he went for it...i will probably get over there and end up winding the elastic band up at the back of the car just to make the bugger move or summat

either that or i will have to run like a flintstone...:scared:
Old Oct 8th 2003, 4:51 pm
A Male Member

Originally posted by johanne
Hi pete yes it is second-hand but he says it was in good nick and he had seen others that were older and more expensive so he went for it...i will probably get over there and end up winding the elastic band up at the back of the car just to make the bugger move or summat

either that or i will have to run like a flintstone...:scared:
The Patrols a nice car....hope he enjoys it

My wifes car, not the clio over here, but her honda civic which is still in oz is for sale if you are interested Only 24 years old, plenty of good strong rust to hold it together, 190k easy run ks. Petrol guage does'nt work properly, but hey....you know when you've run out of fuel after all don't you !

Oh....yes...and its got a leaky distributor cap, so if it rains it stops, you spray it out with WD40 and...wait for it.... it goes again !! Not bad eh !!

A steal at $500
Old Oct 8th 2003, 4:58 pm

Originally posted by PeteY
The Patrols a nice car....hope he enjoys it

My wifes car, not the clio over here, but her honda civic which is still in oz is for sale if you are interested Only 24 years old, plenty of good strong rust to hold it together, 190k easy run ks. Petrol guage does'nt work properly, but hey....you know when you've run out of fuel after all don't you !

Oh....yes...and its got a leaky distributor cap, so if it rains it stops, you spray it out with WD40 and...wait for it.... it goes again !! Not bad eh !!

A steal at $500
Sounds like an excellent car and only $500, must admit im tempted but how does shove it up yer frock sound?