Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good Universitys

Good Universitys

Old Jun 6th 2013, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

meechalle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good Universitys

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone can advise of any good university and place to study in Australia. I am looking into studying Primary School Teaching when I get back from traveling next year. I am currently living in Melbourne which I love but I have started to become quite and outdoorsy person and getting a bit bored of the city lifestyle. Having lived in London before Melbourne I just want somewhere less cluttered and busy I spose. As well as the unis in Melbourne I am considering Wollongong or Newcastle as my parents are from the Central Coast and it would be nice to be close to them and they both have a selection of great beaches. I have also considered some of the university's in QLD, mostly the Sunshine Coast. Could never and would never live on the Gold Coast if you paid me and anything too far north I think I'd go mad with the heat.

A bit of background I am 25, into the outdoors, beach, farmers markets, cooking, coffee shops those type of things.I like to live somewhere with a lot of culture as well. I am not a big partier but still like to have a social life so don't want to live somewhere with only one local bar or something.

Can anyone recommend on what these areas are like to live in? Or even information about the uni. Cheers!
Old Jun 6th 2013, 12:50 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Universitys

Originally Posted by meechalle
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone can advise of any good university and place to study in Australia. I am looking into studying Primary School Teaching when I get back from traveling next year. I am currently living in Melbourne which I love but I have started to become quite and outdoorsy person and getting a bit bored of the city lifestyle. Having lived in London before Melbourne I just want somewhere less cluttered and busy I spose. As well as the unis in Melbourne I am considering Wollongong or Newcastle as my parents are from the Central Coast and it would be nice to be close to them and they both have a selection of great beaches. I have also considered some of the university's in QLD, mostly the Sunshine Coast. Could never and would never live on the Gold Coast if you paid me and anything too far north I think I'd go mad with the heat.

A bit of background I am 25, into the outdoors, beach, farmers markets, cooking, coffee shops those type of things.I like to live somewhere with a lot of culture as well. I am not a big partier but still like to have a social life so don't want to live somewhere with only one local bar or something.

Can anyone recommend on what these areas are like to live in? Or even information about the uni. Cheers!
Are you sure you wouldn't prefer some type of work in organic hospitality?

Reading your post above, I just wonder if it might suit you better.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 11:44 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Universities. Just sayin'
Old Jun 7th 2013, 1:49 am
Just Joined

chasenadir is an unknown quantity at this point

I grew up on the Central Coast and have a brother attending the University of Newcastle (not for teaching though).

Newcastle is not a city I'd describe as somewhere with a lot of culture. However, there are good beaches and you could go to the Hunter Valley for wineries and farmers markets etc, and there's more than one bar of course. I wouldn't move there expecting the nightlife to be fantastic though. If you're sick of cities though, Newcastle could be a decent compromise because it technically is a city, but it doesn't feel like one at all.

If you did attend the University of Newcastle, there's a campus in Newcastle and another one in Ourimbah (on the Central Coast), so there's a chance you'd get classes there. The uni's website should give you more information on that front.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney- has beaches, lots of good unis, some culture (though Melburnians may disagree!) and has trains up to the Central Coast or very short hops by air.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Claire333 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you look at the university league tables the Australian National University (ANU) in Canberra is by far the best, followed by the University of Melbourne.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 4:05 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I thought that as well..
Old Jun 8th 2013, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Perhaps TAFE
Old Jun 8th 2013, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure how well you know it but the Gold Coast has a lot of local areas similar to the Sunshine Coast...it is mainly the touristy beach parts that differ.

Have you considered the University of New England in Armidale ?
Old Jun 8th 2013, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Oh wow I made a spelling mistake. Get a life people.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 2:43 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

And thanks for the advice on universities
Old Jun 8th 2013, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice

Actually, more than one...
Old Jun 8th 2013, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Seriously? What is wrong with people these days. I have asked for advice on areas and universities and instead I get a bunch of people commenting on my spelling. If you didn't have anything helpful to say why bother saying anything at all?
To the few that did offer advice, thanks it's appreciated. Next time I won't bother asking on a forum like this though.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beoz
Perhaps TAFE
Perhaps you should keep your opinions to yourself
Old Jun 8th 2013, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously? What is wrong with people these days. I have asked for advice on areas and universities and instead I get a bunch of people commenting on my spelling. If you didn't have anything helpful to say why bother saying anything at all?
To the few that did offer advice, thanks it's appreciated. Next time I won't bother asking on a forum like this though.
It would be relevant for primary school teaching though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.