Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good things about Australia

Good things about Australia

Old Apr 1st 2004, 5:29 pm
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice

Originally posted by renth
Which is why you should never do it.

Are you one of these people who used to go to Calais to buy your cheap beer then talk loudly to the French checkout girls in English?
Should never do what my dear man, get yer knob out or flash someone out?
never been to France and if i did i would rather talk in french to a good looking bloke...
Old Apr 1st 2004, 5:35 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by johanne
Should never do what my dear man, get yer knob out or flash someone out?
never been to France and if i did i would rather talk in french to a good looking bloke...
Just because in Britain flashing your lights means (contrary to the highway code) "I'm letting you in" do you think all Australians have to understand our quaint British customs?
Old Apr 1st 2004, 5:43 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The only time I see flashing headlights here is to warn of a speed trap.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 8:12 pm
I'm an individual!

Centurix is an unknown quantity at this point

Same here. Someone flashes headlights at me then I slow to 60kph very quickly

I've driven quite a lot in Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra and Adelaide and I can say categorically that the Adelaide drivers are terrible. They have real lane ownership issues. Heaven save you on pensioner thursdays as it turns into old-age-gridlock in the metro area. Melbourne drivers speed like it's going out of style, Sydney drivers do let people in but the gaps tend to be about 1 car length.

In Canberra you drive around in circles. Around and around and around and around and around...

As for me, I zip around Melbourne in my little 350Z not bothering anyone.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 8:48 pm
Badge

Originally posted by Centurix
As for me, I zip around Melbourne in my little 350Z not bothering anyone.
it's nice too... (!)

BM

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 1:21 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good things about Australia

Originally posted by bondipom
Any boat operator in particular you would recommend?
Pro Dive were pretty good, I did quite a few liveaboards and actually they were all good in their own way, I esp liked the leg up to Lizard Island with Titan (Triton?) I will try to get my logbooks out and give a few recs.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good things about Australia

Originally posted by bondipom
Any boat operator in particular you would recommend?
I went with ProDive about a month ago out of Cairns. I thought they were pretty good.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NJFOZ
Oi not fair I have a Falcon and I'm the best driver in the world

One of the best things about Melbourne is its cycle lanes as I cycle to work each day, it's an extreme sport and you need the reactions of a fighter pilot esp if you cycle along Nepean H'way/Brighton Road/ St Kilda Road.

Other great thing about Oz is the total lack or crowds by London standards, and the pace of life.
I had a great time driving in Melbourne and 'burbs. Not at all stressed by it- mind you I'd had 6 yrs preparation and training by racing against Singapore taxi drivers, out doing the mercedes drivers at their own game and sitting at the lights reving up and geting outa there before the next guy

Can't stand being a passenger, need to be in control of the steering wheel! I just love doing the "slow down trick" when I'm tailgated
I'm good at the let a guy in and smile sweetly and wave,.
it was such a surprise when I encountered courtesy on my return to uk :-)
And if I do get stressed -my favourite line from "don't sweat the small stuff" is pull over let the other guy have the accident".
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 10:11 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by helinuk
And if I do get stressed -my favourite line from "don't sweat the small stuff" is pull over let the other guy have the accident".
I must give that a try sometime

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 10:20 am
A soft and furry member

Bluey is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont flash other drivers, they'll just think your mentally ill, if your letting someone go beep instead. Also here in Adelaide, if your not letting someone in, beep, If your pissed off with another driver, beep, if you want to say thanks to another driver, beep, in fact, the key to driving and surviving round here is to beep often and for no apparent reason, it seems to work for the locals. Oh, it's also appears to be a rule of the road around here to beep twice at any attractive young ladies you drive past. I've even seen a cop car do it.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

I much prefer driving in Melbourne than UK. I always feel like the traffic actually flows, even in peak hour traffic, and if the driver in front is not going fast enough for you, then at least there is the option to change lanes

On my drive to work in the UK (and most of the roads around where I lived) it was one lane, so if the driver at the front was toodling along, a very long queue formed quickly, with all the impatient people (me being one of them!!) trying to get past at the next available opportunity.

My drive to work here means that I have 3 lanes to choose from, and the traffic seems to flow fairly consistently. Even the drive home in peak hour is much less stressful for me.

I think I've only seen one bit of road rage and that was when 4 lanes went down to three and the driver in the 4th lane didn't cut back into the 3rd lane quickly enough and made the driver in the 3rd lane have to brake, so they flashed their lights at the driver trying to get back into the 3rd lane!!

I also like the fact that there is a turning lane at virtually every set of traffic lights so you don't get stuck behind the driver who indicates at the very last minute, leaving you waiting behind them until they turn.

Yes, all in all, much nicer driving over here

Regards