Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good things about Australia

Good things about Australia

Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:05 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by badgersmount
I often let people in, and you won't get that raised hand of thanks.

BM
I will admit that it is only since i've been in QLD that i've noticed it And obviously not all the time, not that I let everyone in all the time either,

Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:07 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The worst drivers are the P platers with the phat fully sik exhausts. They drive fast and constantly change lane yet I still keep up with them.

Then there are the Falcon/Commodore/Monaro drivers who think they are in bathurst. Very arrogant and inconsiderate and love to burn rubber and scare less confident road users.

There are the 4wd lot who think they are indestructable. They even sometimes take on taxi driver and buses but invariably got out harrassed.

The taxi drivers are not to be messed with. They do not own the vehicles and would think nothing of a trip to the panel beaters.

Buses have a big give way sign at the rear and they know it. Trying to sneak past a Sydney bus that is pulling out often leads to pain and the insurance company will have no sympathy.

If the British drove like a Sydney driver the UK would be in gridlock.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:14 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Good things about Australia

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
I liked my time in Australia, in particular the scuba diving was great (Barrier Reef out of Cairns) and the living was easy. Loved homemade sandwiches with delicious fresh bread, pastrami and sundried tomatoes.

Beaches - cool.

What do/ did you like best?
We love snorkling every Sunday at Mindarie

The weather at the moment is glorious....Cool 12c nights and 26-28c during the day. Ideal for sight seeing. Not forgetting the 'Big Blue Sky' Something I'am sure we'll miss in the UK

Our car (4x4) can't take it with us though

Sitting outside eating breakfast at the weekends (Autumn and Spring). Only just been able to though due to lots of flys and to hot to go outside!

Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:28 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think it would be unwise to suggest that the raising of the points bar to 120 to keep out the riff raff was a good thing about Oz?

(Might delete this one before the Poms wake up)
Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:35 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by jayr
Do you think it would be unwise to suggest that the raising of the points bar to 120 to keep out the riff raff was a good thing about Oz?

(Might delete this one before the Poms wake up)
That and the fact that so many end up going back.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 1:09 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Back on track to the original question...
Best thing -
Everyone is so much more relaxed, esp at work where I can come and go as I please, and even get praise for my hard work! Maybe they think I'm busy right now
Worst thing -
Deifinitely the driving. Borrowed a friends car in our first week to get around Sydney. Real eye opener!!! I saw loads of things that could easily make one of those 'Nigthmare driving' documentaries:scared:
Old Apr 1st 2004, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

wombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to all

inally posted by renth [/i]
I think you're all living in a fantasy world.

The driving here is far more relaxed and stress free and much less aggressive.

And with less traffic that equates to the driving here being loads better.

Naaah - sorry I dont agree. The driving here in Sydney is the most aggressive I have seen. I have to go from North SYdney to Artarmon in rush hour after work and I cross 5 lanes of traffic and take my life in my hands - if a driver sees you coming into his lane he is more than likely to speed up to keep you out.
People in the UK are more polite drivers and less aggressive.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

wombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to all

Originally posted by bondipom
There are the 4wd lot who think they are indestructable. They even sometimes take on taxi driver and buses but invariably got out harrassed.
Bloody right! Everyday someone is in a 4WD chasing my arse! They just dont care and often are ferrying their kids in the bloody thing. People have done studies on these vehicles and they MASH up padestrians on impact.

And Taxi drivers have devloped a dont give a f**k attitude...I have seen them pull out in front of people without a care. Also they stop in the T3 lane in rush hour on Friday night; slam the hazard lights on then debate with the passenger about where they are going....I love that because some drivers loose it!

Occassionally I wait more than 2 seconds at a green light for that 'driver behind me is going to blow up' reaction and once, because I let someone into my lane someone actually shook their fist at me! That had me laughin all the way home.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 1:38 pm

Wombatboy like you I love irritating the locals with courtesy.

On the M4 I regularly have someone 1 foot from my rear bumper. I then slow to the speed of the person to my left so they have no where to pass. They start going Mad. Then they see me laughing when I let them by.

I've had someone else call me over for a fight (he cut me up) so I slowed as to pull over. He pulled over and I drove past him.

Its pyscho out there.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 1:39 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by wombatboy
Bloody right! Everyday someone is in a 4WD chasing my arse! They just dont care and often are ferrying their kids in the bloody thing.
I have a 4WD and aint afraid to use it
Old Apr 1st 2004, 1:43 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Wombatboy like you I love irritating the locals with courtesy.
Me and Badge on one of our roadtrips decided to try to bring a little pomminess into the driving and be all smily and helpful and thought we could perhaps indoctrinate them into being a bit more polite.

A few months on and its more a case of ***** 'em, they aint gonna let me out, so i'm gonna barge right in, OUT OF MY WAY MO FO!!!!!! Its a jungle out there:scared:
Old Apr 1st 2004, 1:43 pm

Originally posted by hevs
I have a 4WD and aint afraid to use it
And when someone messes with you there is the chainsaw.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 1:44 pm
High in the Dandenongs

And when someone messes with you there is the chainsaw.
LOL
Old Apr 1st 2004, 1:49 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

The worst drivers are the P platers with the phat fully sik exhausts. They drive fast and constantly change lane yet I still keep up with them.

If the British drove like a Sydney driver the UK would be in gridlock.
Agree with you about the P platers.

BTW the UK IS in gridlock!
Old Apr 1st 2004, 1:50 pm
ABCDiamond

How do you change the title of a thread ?

eg: from "Good Things about Australia" to "Driving in Australia" ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.