Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good School in Melbourne

Good School in Melbourne

Old Dec 17th 2003, 7:30 am
Just Joined

starwars is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good School in Melbourne

Read all the interesting posts on State vs Private school. We were thinking of sending our son (13 year old) to a stste school but am now not so sure after reading the different posts.

We have got our visa last week and are planning to move to Melbourne. Can anyone recommend a good private or state school for 13 year old(coeducational preferably).

Thanks a lot.

Rgds
starwars
Old Dec 17th 2003, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good School in Melbourne

Originally posted by starwars
Read all the interesting posts on State vs Private school. We were thinking of sending our son (13 year old) to a stste school but am now not so sure after reading the different posts.

We have got our visa last week and are planning to move to Melbourne. Can anyone recommend a good private or state school for 13 year old(coeducational preferably).

Thanks a lot.

Rgds
starwars
It will depend on which suburb you are going to settle in. Melbourne has a population of 3.5 million and spreads over a huge area. Do you want someone to recommend a school and then you will settle nearby?

OzTennis
Old Dec 17th 2003, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

samdias is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good School - Melbourne

Hi Oztennis,

Thanks for your reply. You have guessed right. I understand that there is a zonal restriction in case of good state schools. Even otherwise, we would like to stay near the school. We would rather select the school first, and then rent a place nearby to stay. Regards
SW
Old Dec 17th 2003, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good School - Melbourne

Originally posted by samdias
Hi Oztennis,

Thanks for your reply. You have guessed right. I understand that there is a zonal restriction in case of good state schools. Even otherwise, we would like to stay near the school. We would rather select the school first, and then rent a place nearby to stay. Regards
SW
SW

I might have been able to help you if an area was specified that I knew but there are literally hundreds of state high schools and even more primary schools - fewer private schools but still many. I would suggest you could start off by searching on this forum and the immigration forum - try Melbourne schools etc and see what comes up. Lots of people have posted here in different threads about Melbourne schools. A lot of schools have websites as well - I think you will get names of schools somewhere on the Victorian Government website and the one for the education department - good old Google will soon point you there.

Inevitably though there is going to be a rough correlation between so called 'good' schools and property values. I could point you to some private schools for example and you will not find much within commuting distance of the school for under say $1 mill.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search. If you have more specific questions once you have identified some schools or suburbs I will be only too pleased to help if I can. (I come from Melbourne originally incidentally).

OzTennis
Old Dec 17th 2003, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry, I just remembered your son is 13 years old so it will be secondary school for him, probably what they call Year 7 (or 1st year secondary). The school year starts near the end of January 2004 so my guess is he will be placed in Year 7. I suppose I should mention my old school here - Williamstown High School or Bayside Seconday, Williamstown Campus as it is known now. This could be your starting point.

http://www.willihigh.vic.edu.au/

OzTennis

P.S. you will find most secondary schools with a website will have like the above www.nameofschool.vic.edu.au
Old Dec 17th 2003, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

samdias is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Hi Oztennis,

Even we have got our visa . How about schools in places like Ashwood, Doncaster, sandringham and Glen waverley. Do you know of any good schools in these areas. We have got some information from the school websites. But would like to have some personal feedback or experiences about them.

Rgds
Sam

Last edited by samdias; Dec 17th 2003 at 4:22 pm.