Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Good Restaurant Guide

The Good Restaurant Guide

Old Aug 2nd 2006, 12:58 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Good Restaurant Guide

Looking for a new eatery to try out this weekend, I tried doing a search of BE threads for inspiration. But there's not a lot out there. So I thought it might be useful to create a new thread where people can review places, so when someone's looking for a new restaurant or cafe or whatever, they just search here for posts according to location. (Clear as mud, right?!)

So here's an example to kick things off:

City Sydney
Suburb Glebe
Address 65 Glebe Point Rd
Link http://sydney.citysearch.com.au/E/V/SYDNE/0052/01/56/
Type Restaurant (rather than cafe etc)
Food Indian
Other info (eg, BYO)
Price Guide Mains - $15-$20
Rating 7 out of 10 (for an Aussie curry )

Review:

Well priced, varied menu with generous portions. The banquet options in particular are good value. Good vegetarian choice.

Doesn't look much from the outside, as it appears to be underground. But inside, it's comfortable - with efficient staff and a good atmosphere. It can get busy at weekends.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 2:24 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Good Restaurant Guide

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Looking for a new eatery to try out this weekend, I tried doing a search of BE threads for inspiration. But there's not a lot out there. So I thought it might be useful to create a new thread where people can review places, so when someone's looking for a new restaurant or cafe or whatever, they just search here for posts according to location. (Clear as mud, right?!)

So here's an example to kick things off:

City Sydney
Suburb Glebe
Address 65 Glebe Point Rd
Link http://sydney.citysearch.com.au/E/V/SYDNE/0052/01/56/
Type Restaurant (rather than cafe etc)
Food Indian
Other info (eg, BYO)
Price Guide Mains - $15-$20
Rating 7 out of 10 (for an Aussie curry )

Review:

Well priced, varied menu with generous portions. The banquet options in particular are good value. Good vegetarian choice.

Doesn't look much from the outside, as it appears to be underground. But inside, it's comfortable - with efficient staff and a good atmosphere. It can get busy at weekends.
Okey dokey, it's a good idea and if it catches on this should become a sticky thread imo.
Glad to see you recommended a curry house. Have you tried Qmin yet?

Coming up are a couple from me...
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 2:32 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
Okey dokey, it's a good idea and if it catches on this should become a sticky thread imo.
Glad to see you recommended a curry house. Have you tried Qmin yet?

Coming up are a couple from me...

That was my thinking.

No, not made it to Qmin yet - ended up at a curry place in Balmain t'other night.

I shall do another review after Friday night, as I have it on sound authority that I'm being taken out for a suprise birthday meal then.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 2:37 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

That was my thinking.

No, not made it to Qmin yet - ended up at a curry place in Balmain t'other night.

I shall do another review after Friday night, as I have it on sound authority that I'm being taken out for a suprise birthday meal then.
I'd be put off by the name..to much like Quim
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 2:39 am

Name Garfish
City Sydney
Suburb Kirribilli
Address 2/21 Broughton Street
Link http://www.garfish.com.au/
Type Restaurant
Food Fish
Other info (eg, BYO) Dunno check the website
Price Guide Mains - $20-$30
Rating 8 out of 10

Review:

Buzzy place in Kirribilli village with an inspiring fish menu.
Quality of food and service were both faultless. Despite being busy, staff had time to make service personal and friendly. Even if you're not all that fussed by fish they'll serve you up something you'll enjoy I promise.

Alf Stewart from H&A eats here, in fact he was sat beside us on one of our visits. If that's doesn't persuade you i don't know what will.

Here's another review of the place.

Last edited by gedge; Aug 2nd 2006 at 3:08 am. Reason: added a name, it does help
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Ransi
I'd be put off by the name..to much like Quim
Look you, get out! You're very naughty.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 2:42 am

That was my thinking.

Excellent. I hope you are spoilt.

I'd like to add this restaurant review site. The guy that does it is so picky, but he does seem to be on the nose with the places I've been to.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 2:45 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Excellent. I hope you are spoilt.

I'd like to add this restaurant review site. The guy that does it is so picky, but he does seem to be on the nose with the places I've been to.
Ta very muchly.

Right, I'm off for phase two of today's celebrations. Catch you later, tater.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 3:05 am

Name Jellyfish
City Sydney
Suburb Manly
Address 5/93 North Steyne
Link http://www.eatability.com.au/au/sydney/jellyfish.htm
Type Restaurant/Cafe
Food Seafood/Other
Other info (eg, BYO) BYO
Price Guide Mains - $20-$30
Rating 7.5 out of 10

Review:

I could do two reviews for Jellyfish as it is two different places day and night.
Both good though.
During the day at weekends this place is bursting with passing trade. The breakfasts and lunches are standard fare for Manly although definitely at the top end of the scale. People come here to people watch over a cup of good coffee and a bite to eat.
At night it's so much calmer. Candle lit tables are perfect for couples or cosy foursomes. The real restaurant menu comes out and although not long it has half a dozen options to satisfy. The kingfish is a highlight when it's on, or the roast pork with crackling, or what about the calf livers... Book me a table.

Last edited by gedge; Aug 2nd 2006 at 3:08 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 3:06 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Look you, get out! You're very naughty.
No! I'm starving now,been looking at the menu of the restaurant you recommended and I'm not even a fishy person.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 3:07 am
Cheeky member

But I see you are indeed a fishy person Gedge
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by Ransi
But I see you are indeed a fishy person Gedge
Nay lass, I like my meat as much as you do.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute

Name Woodchoppers Inn
Region Gold Coast
Suburb Mudgeeraba
Address Railway Street
Link www.woodchoppersinn.com
Type Restaurant/Pub
Menu All types. Lunch and Evening Meals
Other Info Check out website for live music etc
Price Guide Mains $20 to $30 evening, $14 to $30 lunch
Rating 8.5 out of 10

Excellent food and great service. Need to book at weekends. Good live music and special evenings....again check out the website.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Irish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BandS
Name Woodchoppers Inn
Region Gold Coast
Suburb Mudgeeraba
Address Railway Street
Link www.woodchoppersinn.com
Type Restaurant/Pub
Menu All types. Lunch and Evening Meals
Other Info Check out website for live music etc
Price Guide Mains $20 to $30 evening, $14 to $30 lunch
Rating 8.5 out of 10

Excellent food and great service. Need to book at weekends. Good live music and special evenings....again check out the website.
we have been meaning to go there, looks lovely
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irish Aussie Teen
we have been meaning to go there, looks lovely
maybe we will catch up with you there one night....we live in Bonogin and visit the Woodchoppers quite often as we are friends of the landlord.

Sharon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.