Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good primary schools in Perth ?

Good primary schools in Perth ?

Old May 29th 2008, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

nowthat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good primary schools in Perth ?

My husband (he is in mining industry) is being relocated to Perth and we're following him.
We have 3 kids aged 5, 8 and 10.
Since the company agreed to cover the educational expenses, we have contacted few private (grammar) schools regarding the entry requirements (Feb 2009) but the response is VERY discouraging (long (5 years !!!) waiting lists).

I have read about 'intake areas', 'zoning' etc for public schools and it's very complicated.

Could anybody pls give us an advice which the 'good' (Australian 'balanced' approach but good academic background (homework!) as well) primary schools in Perth are?

We still have some time to plan (ie tell the employer which residential area we're interested in) so any advice (either via forum or pm) is appreciated

Thank you !
Old May 29th 2008, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good primary schools in Perth ?

Originally Posted by nowthat
My husband (he is in mining industry) is being relocated to Perth and we're following him.
Since the company agreed to cover the educational expenses, we have contacted few private (grammar) schools regarding the entry requirements (Feb 2009) but the response is VERY discouraging (long (5 years !!!) waiting lists).

I have read about 'intake areas', 'zoning' etc for public schools and it's very complicated.

Could anybody pls give us an advice which the 'good' (Australian 'balanced' approach but good academic background (homework!) as well) primary schools in Perth are?

We still have some time to plan (ie tell the employer which residential area we're interested in) so any advice (either via forum or pm) is appreciated

Thank you !
You won't be able to find that information out!
What you will be able to find out is how well the kids did in the state tests - this information is published and I assume that it's on the curriculum council website www.curriculum.wa.edu.au
As is the case in the UK, this won't tell you anything other than what type of kids the school has - it will tell you nothing at all about the quality of teaching.
Even if you get a school which has a decent reputation (sourced from parents) you might well find that your child's teacher in the school is so bad that it makes a nonsense of the reputation - and there will be little that the school will do about it.

My advice is to locate in an area where parents are similarly interested in their child's education. But again this is extremely difficult.
Old May 29th 2008, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

No Idea is an unknown quantity at this point

Western suburbs are a good bet - Rosalie, Hollywood, Nedlands, Dalkeith, Claremont, Cottesloe, Subiaco, Floreat.
South of the River - Applecross - probably a few others but thats allI know.
Old May 29th 2008, 11:50 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nowthat

Thank you !
I don't think you have anything to worry about with primary schools, private or state, but high schools are more the issue and some of the better private ones need you to have your kids on the waiting list before they are conceived to get in (we just found out). I would choose location based on the latter.
Old May 29th 2008, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

hampshire chick is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with 'no idea' I've been told that the western suburbs are some of the best with regards to schools. When we went to the london expo the australian education department advised these were good schools, along with woodvale, duncraig and hillarys, hope that helps.
Old May 29th 2008, 6:45 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

The western suburbs are very expensive though
Any ideas on good schools in slightly cheaper areas?
Old May 30th 2008, 1:57 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
The western suburbs are very expensive though
Any ideas on good schools in slightly cheaper areas?
We live in Tapping. Tapping and Carramar Primary Schools get good reviews and there are some good high schools around here too. (Not speaking from personal experience but no a few parents whose kids go to these schools.

Lots of houses for sale (or rent) in Tapping and Carramar.

Gina
Old May 30th 2008, 4:48 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
We live in Tapping. Tapping and Carramar Primary Schools get good reviews and there are some good high schools around here too. (Not speaking from personal experience but no a few parents whose kids go to these schools.

Gina
Carramar Primary is excellent. The trouble we are just discovering is that we are in the catchement area for Wanneroo SHS which doesn't enjoy the best of reputations and the local private high school (St Stephens) is so popular the waiting list is so long you needed to be on it by 2004 to get a girl into the 2010 intake.
Old May 30th 2008, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Ant & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant future

I have a 7 year goes to Burrendah Primary in Willetton and willetton primary also has a really good name and have always heard excellent things about them. I am really pleased with his school and he is getting on so well there. They are both public schools and have really good secondary public schools in the area, Willetton senior high and Rosmoyne senior high

Good luck choosing your areas, sorry i cant help with any other areas
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

nowthat is an unknown quantity at this point

We were away for a while so this happens to be a long-overdue post ... nevertheless:

Thanks to all for your replies, your advice is really appreciated
Old Jun 5th 2008, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

westholden will become famous soon enoughwestholden will become famous soon enough

I have a 19yo who just finished Carine Senior High School. It was an excellent school. Big on sport. I helped out in the canteen, which gave me a good in sight to the behavior of the kids. They were all very polite and had all good manners.
This school has a good reputation. I also have a year 6 boy (at Poynter Primary school) who will be going to Carine Senior High School in Year 8. We live in south duncraig and he can ride his bike or walk when the time comes. My 19yo has a good bunch of boys who live around the area, and everyone knows each other which helps... I hope i helped. Good Luck.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 3:06 pm
MickyBhoy

mickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GinaUK

Gina
hi Gina my names mick and me and my family are moving over from Scotland Next year to the tapping area can you give me some advice on good area for renting close to schools and close to nurserys rent in access of $350 / $450 per week
Old Jun 6th 2008, 12:40 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickpower75
hi Gina my names mick and me and my family are moving over from Scotland Next year to the tapping area can you give me some advice on good area for renting close to schools and close to nurserys rent in access of $350 / $450 per week
Hi Mick,

have a look on www.realestate.com.au for rentals.

Plenty of rentals in Tapping. We pay $395 for a brand-new unfurnished rental with fully ducted air-con. 4 x 2 (but we use one bedroom as a study).

Already told you about Tapping Primary School. They are about to start building a new nursery/kindy next to the primary school.

Gina