Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A good old fashioned rant

A good old fashioned rant

Old Oct 18th 2005, 9:51 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A good old fashioned rant

I haven't had a rant for a while. Lack of material and time I suppose. Anyway, yesterday was the day from hell, I won't go into all the details except this one:

I had to leave work early as I was feeling unwell, I only had two $50 bills in my pocket, and a $10 bill, so I wanted to break one of the fifties. So I called into a newsagent.

I think I'll let my letter to the newsagent explain the rest.

On the 17th October at approximately 3:30pm I purchased a copy of the Courier Mail and a packet of cigarettes from your shop. At the time, I had two $50 bills in my pocket and a $10 bill. Your shop assistant assumed I gave her a $20, even though it was not possible that I gave her $20. I had gone to your shop with two purposes, one to buy the Courier Mail, and second, to break a $50 bill so I would have smaller notes for later in the evening. My only reason for buying the cigarettes was because I felt it was unreasonable buying a $1 newspaper with a $50 bill ! I went to your shop with the express purpose of breaking one of the $50 bills into smaller denominations.

The shop assistant insisted I gave her a $20 bill. She says she was sure it was $20 because she pressed the $20 button, therefore it must have been a $20 bill. So apparently she could not have pressed the wrong button, or not been paying attention. I, however, sat in my office, took out the money in my pocket before leaving, looked at the two fifty dollar bills, and thought, “ I’d better go to the newsagent and break one of those or I’ll have no small denominations for tonight”, and decided to go to your shop to break one of them. Who do you think is more likely to have made a mistake? I was looking at two yellow bits of paper with $50 on them. What was your shop assistant looking at? Can she remember?

I hope you understand from the above, that I have absolutely NO doubt, NONE, that I gave your assistant $50. It was one of the reasons for visiting your shop! If I had a $20 bill, I would not have needed to break a $50, and I wouldn’t have bothered even buying the newspaper.

Having explained that to you, you can understand I was waiting expectantly for the shop assistants phone call last night to confirm her error. No phone call. My wife called in today and was told that in fact the shop assistants till had been under for the day, so according to them I was wrong and I had given a $20 bill. I find it strange they didn’t ring to tell me that, don’t you? Would it be because its very hard to lie to someone who KNOWS it’s a lie. I find it even stranger that I managed to give a $20 bill I didn’t have.

Can I just repeat, I had two $50 bills and a $10 when I entered your shop, I actually sat in my office before leaving and checked the money in my pocket, and that’s when I decided to buy a newspaper and cigarettes to break one of the fifties. I had NO $20 bill. When I left your shop, I had 1 $50, 1 $10, and the change your assistant gave me ($5 and some coins).

So there are only two possible explanations for this, neither of which is very nice. The first explanation is that your staff are so incompetent, that not only did they under change me to the value of $30, they then proceeded to over change every other customer so that the $30 profit they made from me was wiped out. Or the second, more likely, explanation, is that to cover their error, one of them pocketed the $30 difference.

To summarise. I went into your shop to break a $50 dollar bill, as I only had two $50 bills and a $10 bill. I bought a newspaper and cigarettes, so that my purchase would seem reasonable to hand over $50. I handed over $50. I got change from a $20. Your staff denied it was a $50 note. They promised to check their tills at the end of the day and call me. They didn’t. They told my wife the following day the till was actually under for yesterday. I think I’ve made my conclusions fairly clear on that, its either incompetence or theft.

I’m not going to lose any sleep over $30. I have no need to create a fuss about such an amount of money. But I do feel it my duty to warn all my work colleagues and friends (and hopefully they can warn all of their colleagues and friends) who work in the area of George Street to avoid your shop until you discover whether your staff are stealing from customers, or just incompetent.
So just a wee rant then

ADL
Old Oct 18th 2005, 9:56 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A good old fashioned rant

Eeeerrrr are you sure you didn't have a $20?

That's the red one
Old Oct 18th 2005, 9:56 am
Account Closed

On a serious note: Can't you take this to the police if it's not resolved?
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:00 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by A dogs life
I haven't had a rant for a while. Lack of material and time I suppose. Anyway, yesterday was the day from hell, I won't go into all the details except this one:

I had to leave work early as I was feeling unwell, I only had two $50 bills in my pocket, and a $10 bill, so I wanted to break one of the fifties. So I called into a newsagent.

So just a wee rant then

ADL
PMSL so can I just reiterate did you have 2 $50 bills and a $10? dont think I quite grasped it

seriously bloody brilliant letter, cant wait for the response.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
On a serious note: Can't you take this to the police if it's not resolved?

To be honest I don't really care. It was the stroppy attitude of the girl at the till. She just refused to even second check the till. She just said it was a $20. I KNOW is wasn't. I actually remember unfolding the yellow $50 to give to her. Her mind was elsewhere.

If I can just get them to admit they were at fault, then I'd say to them to give the $30 to the Animal Welfare League. Just to prove its not a scam, cos thats what the shop assistant made me feel like yesterday, basically saying I am either a liar or I'm scamming them. She wouldn't even open the till again.

I think I'm going to start signing my name on all my $50 notes so they can't deny I just gave them one (oooerrr missus)
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:08 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

It's like the old Harry Enfield sketch.

So, you gave me a tenner. MAAUURREEEEEEN!!!

Does the shop have CCTV? Mrs M says the cameras in her shop are so good you can tell what flavour gum the customers are chewing
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:12 am
Account Closed

To be honest I don't really care. It was the stroppy attitude of the girl at the till. She just refused to even second check the till. She just said it was a $20. I KNOW is wasn't. I actually remember unfolding the yellow $50 to give to her. Her mind was elsewhere.

If I can just get them to admit they were at fault, then I'd say to them to give the $30 to the Animal Welfare League. Just to prove its not a scam, cos thats what the shop assistant made me feel like yesterday, basically saying I am either a liar or I'm scamming them. She wouldn't even open the till again.

I think I'm going to start signing my name on all my $50 notes so they can't deny I just gave them one (oooerrr missus)
Joking apart ADL.......these people are theifs.

I know it's your word against theirs and there's no way of "proving" who was at fault here.....however it seems they have taken a really hard line and are prepared to believe you are either lying or have got it wrong.

Hows about this then....
You say to the owner that you have no wish to keep the money but could he/she give you a daily paper for X weeks [and your weekly top shelf "readers wives" magazine ]......so at least you get back your money in "stock" and he/she also loses nothing. This way you demonstrate your true motives yet still get the money back in newspapers [and magazines ]....and the shop keeper doesn't have to hand you the $30....

Both parties go away happy [especially you...once a week.....when Lolo la pops is out ]
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:27 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Eeeerrrr are you sure you didn't have a $20?

That's the red one

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:28 am
Account Closed

her mind was elsewhere alright mate - what she was gonna spend you $30 on!!! cant wait for the response back!!
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rooksie
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!
I don't think ADL did

He's one rabid dog at the moment
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:30 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

More seriously - I thought you gave up smoking , you better delete this before Mrs JTL reads it man or 30$ wont be all you'll be missing.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:32 am
Account Closed

I don't think ADL did

He's one rabid dog at the moment

its happened to me in birmingham mate but to make matters worse i was shopping for my friend at work - out buying lunch. she swore blind she gave me a twenty, i wasnt entirely sure to be honest although i thought it was a ten and the shop assistant gave me change for a ten. i wanted to curl up and die. didnt know who made the mistake, my friend or the shop assistant but im sure my friend thought id robbed her of a tenner . that was about 15 years ago and it still makes me cringe now.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rooksie
its happened to me in birmingham mate but to make matters worse i was shopping for my friend at work - out buying lunch. she swore blind she gave me a twenty, i wasnt entirely sure to be honest although i thought it was a ten and the shop assistant gave me change for a ten. i wanted to curl up and die. didnt know who made the mistake, my friend or the shop assistant but im sure my friend thought id robbed her of a tenner . that was about 15 years ago and it still makes me cringe now.
You weren't on George street with our ADL were you by any chance
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:38 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

So just a wee rant then

ADL
if i was absolutely 100 percent sure i had given over a 50(which obviously you did) they would have to arrest me to get me out of that shop
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:44 am

Joking apart ADL.......these people are theifs.

I know it's your word against theirs and there's no way of "proving" who was at fault here.....however it seems they have taken a really hard line and are prepared to believe you are either lying or have got it wrong.

Hows about this then....
You say to the owner that you have no wish to keep the money but could he/she give you a daily paper for X weeks [and your weekly top shelf "readers wives" magazine ]......so at least you get back your money in "stock" and he/she also loses nothing. This way you demonstrate your true motives yet still get the money back in newspapers [and magazines ]....and the shop keeper doesn't have to hand you the $30....

Both parties go away happy [especially you...once a week.....when Lolo la pops is out ]
Yeah, thats what the offer to donate the money to the Animal Welfare League is about. I was planning to donate some money to them anyway (as thanks for Jock!). So that would seem to be a good way to show I wasn't planning to rip them off.

I did ask if the had CCTV that could prove I gave the $50, but they don't.

Its more about the theft or stupidity of the staff I worry about

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.