Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is this a good offer for solar?

Is this a good offer for solar?

Old Apr 18th 2012, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is this a good offer for solar?

Hello all,

I know absolutely nothing at all about solar. The people that my husband work with have had this basic system installed and it has cost them $495. Apparently the company have already been paid the grants and will have to pay them back if they don't quote for the jobs by 30.6.12.

Here is a link to the offer:

http://www.4kingsolar.com.au/

We have a 2 story house which will apparently increase the cost by $100.

What do you think?
Old Apr 18th 2012, 2:05 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is this a good offer for solar?

Sounds cheap - but 1.5kw isnt going to do much.

I'm looking at adding a 5kw set-up for around $9k - If the sums are right it'll pay for itself in 3 years and give me a small income thereafter.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 2:34 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RenShen
Hello all,

I know absolutely nothing at all about solar. The people that my husband work with have had this basic system installed and it has cost them $495. Apparently the company have already been paid the grants and will have to pay them back if they don't quote for the jobs by 30.6.12.

What do you think?
it's a good price, that's about all.

It's a bit like saying, "I've been offered a brand new Great Wall Car for $8000. Is it a good deal?".

It's a good price, but the components are of substandard quality therefore you need to ask whether this then reflects on the quality of service you will get too. You may take the tact that ABCDiamond took and that was to buy the cheapest possible system with the view that if it breaks, well it didn't cost you much.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 2:38 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked at their contact page on their website and I recall seeing their address before, which is probably not good news. I cannot for the life of me remember why I've seen that address before, but I would suspect that this company has maybe gone by a different name before. If that is the case...
Old Apr 18th 2012, 2:56 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently the company have already been paid the grants and will have to pay them back if they don't quote for the jobs by 30.6.12.
My spidey sense is tingling ...

I think they may be questionable. They don't seem to turn up in whirlpool references and if I'm reading things right, they didn't have their website till Feb this year.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 3:55 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Sorry to Hijack...

BS - Any thoughts on East v West v Obscured and small North roff for panel placement?

I figure East might be ok as:

1) Peak generating time is in the morning when panels are cooler
2) Peak generating time is in the morning when domestic usage is at its lowest (thus maximising FIT)
3) Peak generating time is in the morning when weather is more likely to be clear (unlike the afternoon with all that clouding over and summer storms).

I'm interested in this discusion as my north (about 7degrees west of N) facing roof already has an array of solar hot water tubes bang in the middle of it AND theres a monster tree that thows it into shade from 3pm onwards! (Probably should cut the damn thing down – I'm fed up of using the electric boost to heat my water!)

My 7degrees North of East facing roof has clear sky.... no issues
My 7degrees South of West facing roof has a council owned Leopard tree that I cannot get cut down that throws a bit of shade.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 3:59 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Sorry to Hijack...

BS - Any thoughts on East v West v Obscured and small North roff for panel placement?

I figure East might be ok as:

1) Peak generating time is in the morning when panels are cooler
2) Peak generating time is in the morning when domestic usage is at its lowest (thus maximising FIT)
3) Peak generating time is in the morning when weather is more likely to be clear (unlike the afternoon with all that clouding over and summer storms).
All of those points are very very valid. Especially in our region the clear mornings (and lower temperatures) with storms in the evening are what pushes me to prefer East over West. In other parts of the state and country though those weather patterns change so not valid for all (in case others are looking to take that advice)
Old Apr 18th 2012, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
My spidey sense is tingling ...

I think they may be questionable. They don't seem to turn up in whirlpool references and if I'm reading things right, they didn't have their website till Feb this year.
There is a deleted post under Solar Consultants on Whirlpool about two months back.
the big worry is getting warranty on a Growatt inverter if the retailer employs subbies and is not an electrician. Growatts are a pig in a poke - some are terrific ,some are lemons.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

What do you think?
Four King Solar is an interesting name to pick for your company.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

It cost us a lot more than that for our system which is larger. $9500.00 and as has been said you get what you pay for. We are very happy with it and already do not pay any bills as we stick to the tariff zones.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 3:19 am
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

I just notcied the name of the solar company in the first post. 4king solar. I imagine that's what lot of people will be chanting somewhere down the track.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

What do you think?
Just my opinion but $495 sounds way to cheap and certainly with a 1.5k system it may reduce your electricity bill, but certainly won’t eradicate it altogether or better still receive a nice little cheque every 3 months.

We have a 4k system with 22 panels which cost $12K.

We haven’t paid an electricity bill since the day it was installed (18 months ago) and every 3 months a cheque arrives in the post for about $350.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all so much for your helpful replies.

Yes, I did notice the name - I thought my husband was joking to begin with.

I will let him read these posts and I don't think we will be taking them up in this 4king offer
Old May 27th 2012, 10:00 am
Just Joined

Dada Lee is an unknown quantity at this point

I had 1.5kW solar installed by 4Kings, but without after sale service!
The inverter got error on 2nd day after installation, then couple days had errors and not working on those days. Called in and email in for replacement but no reply yet!!! Suspect the company has problem?
Old May 27th 2012, 9:14 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Had a 3Kw system installed for $8k around a year ago. $1k bills now halved so very happy! Ensure what you buy can cope with high temps (80^C) as some cut out at 60^C. Also ensure they are hail proof.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.