Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IS THIS A GOOD OFFER?

IS THIS A GOOD OFFER?

Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:20 pm
is hoping for the best

Location: dont know when now, but birmingham to perth soon :-(
english-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant future
Default IS THIS A GOOD OFFER?

hello, wanted to ask you all for your opinions.

my husband is a structural draftsman, he has applied for a job with a very big firm, had the interview and has been given an offer.

now i think this is a great offer and im very excited.
but as i have nothing to compare it to i wanted to ask a few people on here.

he has been offered a $75,000 salary, flights for us all [2 adults 3 kids], shipping, a months accomadation on arrival, cost of visas and they do it all for us.

is that the norm ?

rosie
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud of
Default Re: IS THIS A GOOD OFFER?

Originally Posted by english-rose

my husband is a structural draftsman, he has applied for a job with a very big firm, had the interview and has been given an offer.

he has been offered a $75,000 salary, flights for us all [2 adults 3 kids], shipping, a months accomadation on arrival, cost of visas and they do it all for us.

is that the norm ?

rosie
Depends where your heading, if its sydney then I would say this is a poor wage, Sydney prices are very high.

If its melbourne/adelaide then I would say this is fine approx £30k

Again Perth is getting expensive so I would be looking at a little more.

I am a H&S advisor so I am expecting the equivilent in Oz (same as your offer) but if I was going somewhere cheaper then I would consider a lower wage.

Its good they have offered to pay for everything as its an expensive process, I would prehaps stipulate a pay review after 6 months.

Cx
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wandathecat
Depends where your heading, if its sydney then I would say this is a poor wage, Sydney prices are very high.

If its melbourne/adelaide then I would say this is fine approx £30k

Again Perth is getting expensive so I would be looking at a little more.

I am a H&S advisor so I am expecting the equivilent in Oz (same as your offer) but if I was going somewhere cheaper then I would consider a lower wage.

Its good they have offered to pay for everything as its an expensive process, I would prehaps stipulate a pay review after 6 months.

Cx
Ps have a look on www.seek.au this will give you some comparisons.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:26 pm
is hoping for the best

english-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant future

hi

we are heading to perth.

rosie.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

hi

we are heading to perth.

rosie.
Then I would say you are looking at a comparable wage to the UK.

You will still get more house for your money out there but prices have increased in the last year or so www.realestate.au

One thing you will find is the quality of life is better so I would go on a lower wage just for the change in lifestyle!!!!

Perth is fab, thats where we are heading.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of

is that the norm ?

rosie
Have a look at these sites to find comparable jobs and see what the salarys are like

Employment:
http://www.seek.com.au
http://www.jobsearch.gov.au
http://www.careerone.com.au/
http://www.jobsplus.com.au/
http://mycareer.com.au/

What type of visa are they offering - a 457 (which is temp) or an ENS (which is perm)?

You should really read up on the 457 visa (if that's what's on offer) check out your medical cover, is LAFHA (living away from home allowance), will they assist with school fees (some do and some don't) etc.

The relocation package sounds about right.

Trish
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:34 pm
is hoping for the best

these are very good points i hadnt thought about school fees, but i did read some where that u have to pay some if u are on a temp visa dont u?

also healthcare, are you entitled to free health care when u have a perm visa.?
do u only have to pay if u are on a temp visa?

rosie
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

these are very good points i hadnt thought about school fees, but i did read some where that u have to pay some if u are on a temp visa dont u?

rosie
I am applying on a perm visa so I don't have the answers, might be worth applying a permenant visa once your out there. This will depend on how many points you can achieve under General Skilled Migration 175 visa.

If you apply under a 175 now it can take up to 12 months to get which is the downside!
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of

rosie
Rosie I honestly don't know the answers to your questions - I'm just good at thinking of questions based on what I've read on here.

Try the 457 Thread and I'm sure the people on there will be able to answer you.

Best of luck and I hope it all works out.

Trish
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:54 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

is that the norm ?

rosie
They are taking the piss with the salary in my view. Depending on the company structural designers are earning $75 per hour contract in Perth just now. That equates to roughly $145k per year. Which company. If you aren't happy publishing, PM me. State schooling free (apart from books and uniform) and medicare is reciprocal agreement which in the over 2 years I have been here has covered my family just fine. You should be able to get a better salary that that. Off to bed now (busy day) but let me know if I can help. My husband in oil and gas and is a draffy by trade.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

warponydestroyer will become famous soon enoughwarponydestroyer will become famous soon enough

is that the norm ?

rosie
I cant comment on the salary as I dont know what the UK salary is - but the relocation sounds good.

Did he accept the first offer? I didnt , or the second "final" offer. But they came back with a third offer that I accepted. I would look for as close to a straight conversion to your UK wage.

Finally I am sure there will be people who manage on less than 75K in all the major cities in Oz. They might not be driving new land cruisers though.

Good luck what ever you decide
Old Nov 9th 2007, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by northernbird
They are taking the piss with the salary in my view. Depending on the company structural designers are earning $75 per hour contract in Perth just now. That equates to roughly $145k per year. Which company. If you aren't happy publishing, PM me. State schooling free (apart from books and uniform) and medicare is reciprocal agreement which in the over 2 years I have been here has covered my family just fine. You should be able to get a better salary that that. Off to bed now (busy day) but let me know if I can help. My husband in oil and gas and is a draffy by trade.
Hi Northernbird, hope you had a good sleep.

Can I just ask, if this is a permanet job for the OP, surely he isn't going to earn contract rates. My hubby is an IT PM contractor here in the UK earning silly money, but if he were to get a permanent PM role, he would only be looking at half his current income, if we were lucky. He is paid more on contract, as the contract is only short term, no guarantees and he doesn't get holidays or sick pay, he is paid more to cover the inconvenience and risk of the contract market.

Tracy
Old Nov 9th 2007, 1:10 pm
is hoping for the best

just to add-

my husband is contract here in the uk and earning alot of money, but as the post above says, it dosent cover sick pay or hols, and he would be an emplyed staff worker in oz, payed hols and alot of other benifits that u dont get contract.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

just to add-

my husband is contract here in the uk and earning alot of money, but as the post above says, it dosent cover sick pay or hols, and he would be an emplyed staff worker in oz, payed hols and alot of other benifits that u dont get contract.
Hi

We are going on a 457,to a permanent job, which has all the perks of a permanent job, money no-where near as good as here in the UK, but the permanent perks are worth it and we will be in Melbourne rather than Halifax so that has to be an additional bonus too

Tracy
Old Nov 9th 2007, 1:29 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

If you are on a 457 visa you may well have a permanent job but you will not be on a permanent visa.

You would have no choice but to stay with your employer, no matter how badly they treat you.

Give up the job and you have to leave the country.

This visa gives very little security......be careful.

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.