Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good news for those on spouse visa's (NOT!)

Good news for those on spouse visa's (NOT!)

Old Jan 19th 2005, 6:58 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: Good news for those on spouse visa's (NOT!)

Don't panic siren if I get a business off the floor you can work with me!!
Still trying to figure it out but think i will have it running by July, is that OK?

Jenny
Old Jan 19th 2005, 7:21 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Barbara!! It IS nice to know that I'm not the only one facing this issue! Seems like most people have no problems with it!

I'd be happy to work with you, Jenny!! But of course, you know that already..
Just need something to tide me over until July ...LOL A lot of crazy expenses coming up and could really use the extra dosh!

Siren
Old Jan 19th 2005, 7:43 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren
Thanks Barbara!! It IS nice to know that I'm not the only one facing this issue! Seems like most people have no problems with it!
Siren
I think Pascal was just very, very lucky..!!
He sent out a few more applications, and didn't hear a thing on those.

Fingers crossed for your new tactic, and hopefully more vacancies in Febuary!!!
Old Jan 19th 2005, 9:08 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Well I've removed "Canada" from my resume, added "Resident" and sent it off to 4 more people today.

I've already gotten a "Sorry the position has been filled - Best of Luck!" auto-reply but the other 3 - no news yet.

I don't know how taking Canada off will help as my last employer (in fact ALL my employers) were in Canada so we'll see.

Siren
Old Jan 19th 2005, 9:20 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Well I've removed "Canada" from my resume, added "Resident" and sent it off to 4 more people today.

I've already gotten a "Sorry the position has been filled - Best of Luck!" auto-reply but the other 3 - no news yet.

I don't know how taking Canada off will help as my last employer (in fact ALL my employers) were in Canada so we'll see.

Siren
Well, it definetly could.
When I was putting my resume around, I had on there Australian citizen. But all my schooling and experience was in the Netherlands. But I remember at least one didn't notice that untill I was at the interview, and had to point it out!!
Old Jan 19th 2005, 9:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Something else - which you may already have covered - is references. When I first started sending out my resume here, all my work referees were in the UK. However, I used a couple of people here as referees too - didn't state that I only knew them socially, and put down their job titles/work addresses as contacts. I know that the second job I had actually contacted one of them, and they said they did it because he was in a respected position in an Aussie govt job.
Then at least it looks as if you have an Aussie network of contacts, you are not totally on your own. Even if you don;t know that many Aussies yet to put down, there must be people withi the Perth Expats network who can give you some kind of reference if asked
Old Jan 19th 2005, 9:40 am

I dont know what she wants another job for, she is doing a damn good job as my sexitary.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 9:49 am
Swiss, in Brisbane

Barbara_CH is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Something else - which you may already have covered - is references. When I first started sending out my resume here, all my work referees were in the UK. However, I used a couple of people here as referees too - didn't state that I only knew them socially, and put down their job titles/work addresses as contacts. I know that the second job I had actually contacted one of them, and they said they did it because he was in a respected position in an Aussie govt job.
Then at least it looks as if you have an Aussie network of contacts, you are not totally on your own. Even if you don;t know that many Aussies yet to put down, there must be people withi the Perth Expats network who can give you some kind of reference if asked
Very good idea, polly! Will try that one!
Old Jan 19th 2005, 9:57 am
Just Joined

BLue mad manc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re:Can any one help please?

Hi, I would be really grateful if anybody can give me some advice on my situation.I have a subclass(300) Prospective Marriage visa but have recently split with my girl.Iam in full time employment and my employer would like to sponser me.Is this possible even though i have already been granted my marriage visa and really should now leave the country due to our break up??Is there any way of transfering my visa over?i am really in the dark but love my job and love Australia and would be really thankful for any advice. Cheers.H
Old Jan 19th 2005, 10:03 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Siren

I did the same, made sure my address was my Aussie one. Took off my nationality, and highlighted the fact that the last company I'd worked for was international. I did have 6 months work experience in OZ, as part of my WHV. I think I was quite lucky with my job offers. The company I work for is Kiwi as well, which I think helps (no Aussie prejudice, intentional or otherwise!!!)
Old Jan 19th 2005, 10:05 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Can any one help please?

Originally Posted by BLue mad manc
Hi, I would be really grateful if anybody can give me some advice on my situation.I have a subclass(300) Prospective Marriage visa but have recently split with my girl.Iam in full time employment and my employer would like to sponser me.Is this possible even though i have already been granted my marriage visa and really should now leave the country due to our break up??Is there any way of transfering my visa over?i am really in the dark but love my job and love Australia and would be really thankful for any advice. Cheers.H

I think you'd need a bridging visa, and to inform the DIMIA of your breakup, then apply etc (a new visa would cancel out your pros marriage one automaticaly)... you might be wise to see an agent and get some advice. You could end up in deep **** if you're not careful otherwise
Old Jan 19th 2005, 10:12 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Even if you don;t know that many Aussies yet to put down, there must be people withi the Perth Expats network who can give you some kind of reference if asked

Warren, when he gets one of the million jobs he's on his 100th interview for
Old Jan 19th 2005, 12:37 pm

Actually, I only have referees in Canada. Hadn't thought about putting any Australian names down as they are not work related but perhaps it would be a good idea to at least put some character references in.

Maybe a few Aussie names and addresses will help.

Siren
Old Jan 19th 2005, 12:41 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can any one help please?

Originally Posted by BLue mad manc
Get some very urgent professional advice. Call IARC and ask for a referral to a competent practitioner local to you:
http://www.iarc.asn.au

Jeremy
Old Jan 19th 2005, 12:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I only have referees in Canada. Hadn't thought about putting any Australian names down as they are not work related but perhaps it would be a good idea to at least put some character references in.

Maybe a few Aussie names and addresses will help.

Siren
it may well do - it helped me get mu RACQ job, and my Fire job - at both interviews they said that they did not have time to wait and contact the UK, but would go with the Aussie ones - although RACQ did email a UK one as well. The Fire one had an RACQ name on, but the RACQ one had a good friend, who knows my skills and abilities and could vouch for stuff like reliability and loyalty. I didn't mention whether they were work related, just listed names, job titles, work address/phone./email.

Give it a try - fingers crossed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.