Reload this Page >

Good news for nurses......

Wikiposts

Good news for nurses......

Old Apr 15th 2003, 12:47 am
happy bunny!!

teresa.c is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good news for nurses......

Just thought I would let all you nurses know about a conversation I had on Saturday, it may brighten your day a bit!!! It did mine!!
I work for a nursing agency and on my shift at the weekend I was working with a nurse from OZ who was on a working visa in UK.
He was just saying how crap our hospitals are compared to Australia!!!! The hospital buildings are better, (I suppose because they are newer) and the conditions are better.He couldnt believe how much crap us nurses take! If there is shortage of staff in Oz, beds are closed and things get done about it, they are not just expected to cope as we are! And they dont need to fight as much!!
I dont know how true it is, but it made me smile to think about what we might be heading towards!!
Old Apr 15th 2003, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Shikse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good news for nurses......

Wait until tomorrow morning, all the Trolls will tell you different, implying that the Australian nurse you spoke to, is a liar!
Old Apr 15th 2003, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is at least more than 1 ozzy nurse who thinks that our system is pants. I've worked with a couple over the past 12 months or so and they've told me how different things are in the UK to Australia.

Obviously there will be the bad bits as well. (I've yet to find the place that doesn't have bad bits.)

But hey no doubt PB and co will be telling us how crap it is yada-yada-yada and how we are dreaming.....

I'm looking forward to it anyway visas permitting of course.

Claire
Old Apr 15th 2003, 1:41 am
happy bunny!!

teresa.c is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by claireg3
There is at least more than 1 ozzy nurse who thinks that our system is pants. I've worked with a couple over the past 12 months or so and they've told me how different things are in the UK to Australia.

Obviously there will be the bad bits as well. (I've yet to find the place that doesn't have bad bits.)

But hey no doubt PB and co will be telling us how crap it is yada-yada-yada and how we are dreaming.....

I'm looking forward to it anyway visas permitting of course.

Claire

Hi claire

Its nice to get some sort of current feedback. Talking to someone who is up to date with both UK and Oz nursing, and still giving us something positive. PB has been in Oz a while now and his info re: UK is probably way out of date. But you are right, there will be some bad bits, in a job like nursing its to be expected, but tht life. Like you, I am looking forward to it, sometimes change is better than rest!!
Old Apr 15th 2003, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Teresa,

Have you got visas etc sorted, if so when are you off? Any jobs lined up or are you just going to wing it when you get out there?

Claire
Old Apr 15th 2003, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

Mandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really nice

Originally posted by teresa.c
Just thought I would let all you nurses know about a conversation I had on Saturday, it may brighten your day a bit!!! It did mine!!
I work for a nursing agency and on my shift at the weekend I was working with a nurse from OZ who was on a working visa in UK.
He was just saying how crap our hospitals are compared to Australia!!!! The hospital buildings are better, (I suppose because they are newer) and the conditions are better.He couldnt believe how much crap us nurses take! If there is shortage of staff in Oz, beds are closed and things get done about it, they are not just expected to cope as we are! And they dont need to fight as much!!
I dont know how true it is, but it made me smile to think about what we might be heading towards!!
I'm waiting to have a telephone interview with some man in charge of mental health nursing in Melbourne!!!
I hate interviews at the best of times but this one will be at midnight and will need to be stone cold sober.
Has anybody got any idea of how telephone interviews go and what he could possibly ask me??
Mandy
Old Apr 15th 2003, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

Birdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond repute

Hi teresa,
Your Pal is definatly right, (depending on where you work and in which department!) (I hear in Victoria they did shut wards and cancel ops rather than run on agency) However hospitals are not run by the wizard fo OZ, and they still have long trolley waits, and run with a lot of agency nurses in WA. The situation here with lack of GPs willing to bulk bill the situation is probably set to worsen before it gets better, good news is though there are loads of nurses and docs to go around so at least the shit shovelling is shared out a little more.. Where you planning to work?
Old Apr 15th 2003, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Chris000 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,i'm a uk trained RN in Brisbane since Aug 02. I'm working as a level two(f grade) in a private hosp- the biggest in Aus.The hours are the same, the patients the same, the money slightly better all things considered but the problems are also the same.Staff shortages, management who remain blinkered to the real issues and no paid overtime unless approved before hand-try planning overtime before the event.!!
Aus in real nursing times is about ten years behind the Uk in terms of wound management,autonomy etc, in reality its hard not to be frustrated with the system but in ten years time we'll be laughing.
Check out some of the major hosps here, some will pay your air fare and removal costs and garentee you work. Who said nursing is all about crap?

hope this is of help and not too negative, i am having fun-honest.
Kate.
Old Apr 15th 2003, 7:15 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by teresa.c

The Aussies tell a good story dream on they talk a great job , my wife has worked in 4 Perth hospitals she would not agree with this .
Joondalup Hopital closes 2 wards often and then makes a 50 bed single ward with 6 nurses to look after it because it runs over budget ,and Royal Perth is the pits .
The nurses here go on strike yes think on why?
Lost count of nurses we know who have injured their backs because lack of help and no equipment.
Get used to 2 weeks sick pay a year and less holiday plus poor wage rates and less chances to move up plus you wil pay for all work courses , if it was that good your benefits in the UK would be here to?
Read about the real world of nursing here and why so many jack it in.

http://www.qnu.org.au/

http://www.anf.org.au/services/info_links.html

http://www.anf.org.au/pdf/Peak_Bodies.pdf

''The future of our health system is under threat. Support health care for all Australians based on clinical need, not ability to pay. ''

PS Aussies are better bullshiters than the Irish pass the bed pan

:

Last edited by pommie bastard; Apr 15th 2003 at 7:49 pm.