Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good news for Lar and Blim!

Wikiposts

Good news for Lar and Blim!

Old Mar 20th 2004, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Good news for Lar and Blim!

Well, we got our meds request on Monday.... people who use the forum regularly may recall that I've had some hassle with my parents for planning to move down-under. They live abroad anyway, so I don't see them that often.

To recap, my father couldn't handle the idea of us going, freaked out, got really drunk a few times, threatened to pretend I'd died etc. and fell over in a drunken stupour and broke his rib....

Anyway, spoke to mum today... he is beginning to come round at long last. He got chatting to another guy from the UK and actually started to boast about us going to Aus (he always likes to think he's got one up on people lol).

So its beginning to sink in...
I'm beginning to get excited...
Old Mar 20th 2004, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you Larry!

They generally come around in the end.
Old Mar 20th 2004, 12:25 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent news Larissa. When are u planning to head out ????
Old Mar 20th 2004, 1:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Really pleased to hear that Larissa; my dad had a similar attitude to start with, in fact his first comment to my sister was "I hope she knows how far it'll be to come back when it doesn't work". However, when The Bloke came over to the UK and actually met him, my dad was really great, took a liking to him straight away and even changed his plans for the day and told us he was coming sight-seeing with us. I think its the initial shock of their little girl (!!) going out into the big world, and it just takes time to get used to it.

When are you doing the meds??
Old Mar 20th 2004, 3:07 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good news for Lar and Blim!

Originally posted by Larissa
Well, we got our meds request on Monday.... people who use the forum regularly may recall that I've had some hassle with my parents for planning to move down-under. They live abroad anyway, so I don't see them that often.

To recap, my father couldn't handle the idea of us going, freaked out, got really drunk a few times, threatened to pretend I'd died etc. and fell over in a drunken stupour and broke his rib....

Anyway, spoke to mum today... he is beginning to come round at long last. He got chatting to another guy from the UK and actually started to boast about us going to Aus (he always likes to think he's got one up on people lol).

So its beginning to sink in...
I'm beginning to get excited...

Thats great news Larissa , wish my dad even cared that much, although he did come to the leaving do.
Old Mar 20th 2004, 7:28 pm
So Happy We could Dance

rob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to all
Default Re: Good news for Lar and Blim!

Thats great news Larissa , wish my dad even cared that much, although he did come to the leaving do. [/QUOTE]
Am really pleased things seem to be turning round for you. My mum's pleased and happy for us but i still can't mention the word Australia to her without her voice going wobbly. I think this is going to make it even harder at the airport in May though. Anyway keep getting excited as it's a weird rollercoaster to be on but worth it in the end
Old Mar 20th 2004, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys!
Our meds are on April 2nd, after which we're going to see my brother's family for the weekend

We're hoping to get the house on the market in May and get out there in September/October... the house deadline is really tough since we've been renovating the house and are about to rip out the old bathroom suite! :scared: Thankfully, its a "starter" type home and our part of the market is quite quick moving.

Best wishes to anyone else going through parent angst - it really can weigh heavy on your heart. I'd also like to thank everyone for their support when I was going through all that cr@p... all your kind words etc. helped me to see straight and not fall for the manipulation!

Take care,
Larissa
Old Mar 20th 2004, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

I know what you mean. Took mum out for a motherday meal yesterday (she's working today). My sister started asking questions about when we go and my mum suddenly burst into tears right there in the pub! I had to try hard not to do the same and so we changed the subject.

Boy, I don't know how we will cope when the time to go actually arrives, even dad has gone a bit quiet on me and so far he hasn't actually voiced an opinion.

But, I still want to go.

Mandy