Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good news for Ikea fans (in Brisbane)

Good news for Ikea fans (in Brisbane)

Old Jan 24th 2006, 1:09 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good news for Ikea fans (in Brisbane)

Got a house full of Ikea stuff in the UK which we are leaving behind or selling (that is if we can convince someone to buy semi-disposable swedish furniture). We'll be buying 'real' stuff when we're out for good. I think the warehouse section of the store is the best bit - good quality bits and bobs for the kitchen and stuff.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 1:19 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Got a house full of Ikea stuff in the UK which we are leaving behind or selling (that is if we can convince someone to buy semi-disposable swedish furniture). We'll be buying 'real' stuff when we're out for good. I think the warehouse section of the store is the best bit - good quality bits and bobs for the kitchen and stuff.
They do make a few goods things (I like their lights), but anything with fabric or any type of cushion is absolute crap & either falls to pieces within weeks or just after the 12 month warranty expires (funny that).
Old Jan 24th 2006, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

We've got some Ikea Billy bookcases (dead plain wood ones) that we bought here, in Sydney, about 25 years ago and are still going strong. Also got some good halogen desk lamps that were fantastic value at about $15 each. Rest of it you can keep.

Kind of outgrew Ikea about 20 years ago - OK for kitting out a house/flat cheaply for the first time- but it's not exactly good quality furniture you want to keep for a lifetime is it?

Besides I HATE the way they make you walk for miles, in-and-out, round-and-round, just to ensure that you pass by EVERY bit of crap that they sell.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 2:13 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
We've got some Ikea Billy bookcases (dead plain wood ones) that we bought here, in Sydney, about 25 years ago and are still going strong. Also got some good halogen desk lamps that were fantastic value at about $15 each. Rest of it you can keep.

Kind of outgrew Ikea about 20 years ago - OK for kitting out a house/flat cheaply for the first time- but it's not exactly good quality furniture you want to keep for a lifetime is it?

Besides I HATE the way they make you walk for miles, in-and-out, round-and-round, just to ensure that you pass by EVERY bit of crap that they sell.
It's got to be one of the worst shopping experiences known to man.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 2:15 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc

I feel the same. My other pet hate is those bloody little pads and pencils they give you to write down the item number of the thing you want - because they *never* have everything you want in that sodding great warehouse bit near the tills. Dining room table, sure - the matching chairs, just three - sorry. Comfy armchair, no problem - the cushion that fits on it, out of stock. Funky wooden bed - easy, the mattress that fits its non-regular dimensions, no chance.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 2:15 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's got to be one of the worst shopping experiences known to man.
Amen to that.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 2:17 pm
Australia's Doorman

You also noticed how there's on windows in the shop. The idea is to deprive you of natural light so you loose track of time and spend even longer in that poxy caravan of lost souls searching for the bloody exit. :scared:
Old Jan 24th 2006, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Hutch
You also noticed how there's on windows in the shop. The idea is to deprive you of natural light so you loose track of time and spend even longer in that poxy caravan of lost souls searching for the bloody exit. :scared:
It's the pencils and tape measures that piss me off.
It's all a bit girly.
If I want a pencil I'll take my own chewed at one end and knife sharpened at the other.
As for the paper tape measure, grrr a real man has a 10m metal rolling one that clips to his belt, not some half arsed flimsy thing that' barely long enough to measure ... I'll leave it there.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 3:09 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
It's the pencils and tape measures that piss me off.
It's all a bit girly.
If I want a pencil I'll take my own chewed at one end and knife sharpened at the other.
As for the paper tape measure, grrr a real man has a 10m metal rolling one that clips to his belt, not some half arsed flimsy thing that' barely long enough to measure ... I'll leave it there.
Yeah - real men get the wife to drop them at Bunnings on their way to Ikea so we can look at the spades, and grasscutters and 'browse' the 'blokes tool shop' - and you don't need a poxy catalogue and pencil to know which f***ing saw to buy, or which router.

oops - bit of a testosterone burst there LOL
Old Jan 24th 2006, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

goldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to all

If you ask me, a waste of tree's for that crap,

but all of it makes a good bomfire

only good thing is the sangs for sale outside
Old Jan 24th 2006, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by 232Bar
Yeah - real men get the wife to drop them at Bunnings on their way to Ikea so we can look at the spades, and grasscutters and 'browse' the 'blokes tool shop' - and you don't need a poxy catalogue and pencil to know which f***ing saw to buy, or which router.

oops - bit of a testosterone burst there LOL
Grrr! Tool Time Tim's got nothing on me!
The blood is pumping, and I've got a hankering for some diy destruction.
I've got my hammer drill, my monkey wrench and my petrol strimmer!
I'll show her what a spice rack should look like!!!
ROAR!!!!!
Old Jan 24th 2006, 4:32 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
Grrr! Tool Time Tim's got nothing on me!
The blood is pumping, and I've got a hankering for some diy destruction.
I've got my hammer drill, my monkey wrench and my petrol strimmer!
I'll show her what a spice rack should look like!!!
ROAR!!!!!
Anyone ever see Norm on 'New Yankee Workshop'? Now THAT was bloke TV at its' finest.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 232Bar
Oh Bollocks - came here to try and escape that crap not find they are building bigger ones

LOL
Netta
Old Jan 25th 2006, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

Madster is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't it sad, I even looked into if IKEA was based in Melbourne before I agreed to move! (well not far of) and by all accounts it is massive. Being Swedish I need to know that i can get my liqurice fix from somewhere so I tend to go to IKEA montly to stock my freezer with swedish food.n And as far as furniture goes I love most of their stuff!
Madster
Old Jan 25th 2006, 3:50 am
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Good news for Ikea fans (in Brisbane)

Originally Posted by JohnAndNetta
Ok - you either love Ikea or hate it, but if you're a fan you can't fail to be dissappointed by the one in Brisbane (Springwood). Its about a quarter of the size of the ones in the UK and the stock levels are dire. (6 weeks waiting for some bog standard kitchen carcasses, 6 weeks wait for a wooden blind).

And you can't order anything from Sydney and expect it to be available in Brisbane. They simply won't do it.

So you'll be pleased to know they're building another one, much much bigger. I couldn't seem to get a proper answer as to exactly where, but sounds like its going to be further down the M1 in the Gold Coast direction.

So any Ikea fans should see a new store by October 2006 (apparently). Must admit I'm not a great fan, but I do like the occasional visit for a plate of meatballs (he he!). But I have found some really good furniture stores all over Brisbane - just a shame they don't all sell Swedish meatballs........

Netta
Saw this and thought of you
Attached Thumbnails Good news for Ikea fans (in Brisbane)-ikea_grey.jpg  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.