Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good news and BAD news!

Good news and BAD news!

Old Mar 2nd 2006, 1:37 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good news and BAD news!

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
Well mutley is sposed to be going to GA on the 15th, flies on the 18th. He gets there on the 20th and we leave on the 20th. ALL of us are enrolled at school and start on the 27th!

Being the 2nd today there wouldn't be enough time to get a 2nd test done and results back in time to fit in with these times, but we could wait a few days no prob if there was any chance the 2nd test would come back lower, but it would be doubtful it would I reckon.
Are you going to cancel your course and flights?
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 1:38 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by arkon
All is not lost, Although why I'm encouraging you to come here is beyond me but here goes....

The blood teta levels after the Lepto jab will normally be below the allowed travel limit within six months, But the government vet can short cut this if you tell him it was from an accidental vaccination jab, He will then do a blood test and get the current teta levels, He then draws blood a month later and so long as the teta levels have dropped he should sign off the dog fit for trave.

This is effectively what happened to us but check it out with the official gov vet first to make sure.

We should have taken it as a sign from the gods not to go……..That was just the start….
What Arkon said sounds hopefull Paul?

Good luck mate
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 1:57 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Are you going to cancel your course and flights?
Don't have flights at this stage! ... :scared: ... and the course is still set for the 27th as we speak.

IF! ... the test comes back negative then we can carry on as planned, but once we learn it's positive, then we'll have to sort out this mess and see where we stand.

We've got in touch with the testing place and they've confirmed they have the blood there. It's normally a 7 day turn around but the bloke Nic spoke to has gone off to ask his boss if it can be brought forward.

Back to sittin by the phone for now!
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 1:59 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't have flights at this stage! ... :scared: ... and the course is still set for the 27th as we speak.

IF! ... the test comes back negative then we can carry on as planned, but once we learn it's positive, then we'll have to sort out this mess and see where we stand.

We've got in touch with the testing place and they've confirmed they have the blood there. It's normally a 7 day turn around but the bloke Nic spoke to has gone off to ask his boss if it can be brought forward.

Back to sittin by the phone for now!

Well I for one hope you get out there as planned Paul. Australia has your name on it.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 2:01 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by possoms
What Arkon said sounds hopefull Paul?

Good luck mate
Yeah we'll look into that one, and see what GA have to say about it. They've simply said to wait and see IF this blood comes back positive, and then go from there! ... which I guess is all we can do for now.

I'm trying to find out how long it takes to show after being administered. GA say it REALLY is diff with diff dogs and there's NO exact time!

3 days I woulda thought was enough, but can only cross fingers really.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 2:02 pm
Account Closed

Well I for one hope you get out there as planned Paul. Australia has your name on it.
Cheers Sam ...

Australia has my dogs name on it too, but what can ya do!
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 2:05 pm

Cheers Sam ...

Australia has my dogs name on it too, but what can ya do!
Would it not be possible for someone to look after him till he gets a satisfactory blood test?

After all, you would only be delaying his adventure a little whilst starting your own.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 2:25 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Would it not be possible for someone to look after him till he gets a satisfactory blood test?

After all, you would only be delaying his adventure a little whilst starting your own.
That's what I was wondering.... can the family go on to Australia while the dog gets sorted in the UK, and the dog follow afterwards?

Or is this an incurable condition?

(sorry, I only "know" cats!)

Sam, Gordon must go to Oz. Or to mine.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 2:27 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

PS in Texas a "keeper" is a fish large enough to keep and not have to throw back to grow larger.

If you think of someone as a "good catch" then obviously they are a "keeper"!
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

Well the latest is we got the blood looked at and results sent to the vet.

Positive! ...

GA have said to retest in 14 days time, but it's as good as gonna be higher considering it's just gone in!

Nic says we HAVE to go now, and I guess we do.

I'm racking my brain trying to think of who can look after him and then take to Shropshire after at least 6 months!!

No one is springing to mind!

I just phoned local kennels where he stayed when we had our reccy trip in July and they said Staffies don't board for long periods too well, and it's not advised. When I said his name they remembered him and said it WOULD be too long for him as he damands so much attention ...

Well funked now I reckon! ...
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 3:47 pm
Account Closed

Either that or Nic and the kids go now and I stay behind and come out when he's clear and on his way!

An option! ... not a good one, but is one I guess.

Either that or find someone who'll have him for at least 6 months, but he IS a handful at times and prospects aint good.

Nic is on the phone to someone now about how the vaccine is administered and sommit or other. I'll see what she says when she gets off the phone. I think it's all about the fact that this vaccine is at it's strongest after 30 days so it 'might' show the same figure in 14 days!

All clutching at straws again tho! ...
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

upthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud of

Good news is easy, we exchanged contracts on the house today! ...

Now the bad news ...

We have our dog vaccinated last Wednesday and the blood tests done on Monday. After the vaccination we sent the card to Golden Arrow and today I woke to a msg from them telling me to phone straight away!

I phoned them and they said the vaccination he's had is a general booster which includes the Lepto vaccination which a dog CANNOT have to go to Oz. When I took the dog to the vet for his jabs I asked for JUST the ones needed, but forgot to make it clear he CANNOT have this bloody Lepto jab, but he's now had a booster which includes this Lepto vaccination.

So current state of play is we're praying that the fact that the blood test was taken only a few days after it was given, it won't show, but if it does, then doggy cannot go to Oz for god knows how long ...

Doggy can't go, we don't go!

I am soooooooo gutted and feel like a right idiot for not making it so clear to the vet, and at the end of the day it's all my fault!

Gutted.

Gutted gutted gutted!
i know how you feel.My dog was diagnosed at christmas with gme.He will die, it is just a matter of time.We will have to leave and leave him with my sister or if vet thinks its best we will have to have him put down.It is killing all of us,he is only 3 years old.he is my daughters baby.He is part of the family and dread the day we have to go but the reasons i am going is for my kids because they live in a horrid part of london and no dog will ever mean to me as much as them.I would say you not saying goodbye to your dog forever so go and let him join you down the line.you and your families life and health is the most important thing.I really feel for you but you have to look on the bright side of things!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 3:55 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

It's just a thought and don't know if it would be possible but due to the problem being with a vaccination and not a true disease it may be worth finding out if they would allow him in if he was to do the full 6 months in Australian quarantine with them re-testing bloods ??? Like I said its just a thought but if they did say yes at least you could all go and you would be able to visit him .... might be worth a phone call to find out ???
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 7:01 pm

Well the latest is we got the blood looked at and results sent to the vet.

Positive! ...

GA have said to retest in 14 days time, but it's as good as gonna be higher considering it's just gone in!

Nic says we HAVE to go now, and I guess we do.

I'm racking my brain trying to think of who can look after him and then take to Shropshire after at least 6 months!!

No one is springing to mind!

I just phoned local kennels where he stayed when we had our reccy trip in July and they said Staffies don't board for long periods too well, and it's not advised. When I said his name they remembered him and said it WOULD be too long for him as he damands so much attention ...

Well funked now I reckon! ...

Try and contact Staffie rescue and see if they have foster facilities. It takes a Staffie owner to understand a Staffie.

Worth a go.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 7:21 pm
Lapine Member

Is the Lepto vaccine a live or killed vaccine?

If the latter, then it is possible to assay the blood and look for live virus. No live virus -> no active disease. The tests are just for the antibodies, which the body will produce in response to either the disease or the vaccine.

A virus assay is expensive but I'll bet it can be done. OTOH will it satisfy the Aussies?

I'm speaking from human experience here.

If it's a live vaccine, then there really is no way to tell without highly sophisticated tests to match the vaccine's exact RNA with that of the live virus in the blood.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.