Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good news and BAD news!

Good news and BAD news!

Old Mar 2nd 2006, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Good news and BAD news!

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
Cheers Lisa, I wouldn't be THIS far without you ...

Just gutted that it's something soooo stupid and yet it might turn out soooo serious! ... it REALLY shouldn't of happened! ...

I'm crossing fingers that the blood tests come back negative, but not too sure where we go if positive. GA say you can do another test at 14 days, but also say it's almost definite it'll be higher as the vaccine has just gone in.

I dunno, never do! ... but he IS part of the family and I can't go without him ...

Came this far and all the rest, but I can't.
Just been reading the posts and have to say I feel bad for you. Im not in Aus i Am in NZ, but cant you validate in Aus and then wait the extra 6-8 mnths in the UK before doing the final migration. Sure, it will put a six month hold on your plans but this must be better than either of the other two alternatives, ie having to call off the migration alltogether or having to leave doggy behind.

anyways best of luck
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 3:03 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by newkiwi
Just been reading the posts and have to say I feel bad for you. Im not in Aus i Am in NZ, but cant you validate in Aus and then wait the extra 6-8 mnths in the UK before doing the final migration. Sure, it will put a six month hold on your plans but this must be better than either of the other two alternatives, ie having to call off the migration alltogether or having to leave doggy behind.

anyways best of luck
Thanks, but to be honest we're goin to Oz on student visas with the 'dream' of getting PR one day.

We don't have any time to hang around and there really has never been a better time to go than now.

Also we have teenage kids coming and if we don't move soon one of them will have to apply for PR on her own as she'll be 18 by the time we are at PR applying status.

Who do you go for, the eldest child or the dog ?!?!

I jest, but we HAVE to go now!
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 3:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Paul, come on mate! I know I am not a dog lover - cat person, sorry but you cannot seriously tell me that after all you and nic and the kids have been through, you would cancel your plans now because of the dog That (IMO) is balmy.

Of course you love him but....

Wait for the test, then if it still shows up, decide then, not worth worrying now. Have you considered a rescue place. Explain the situation, offer them as much as you can afford and see what they say. No harm in trying.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 3:08 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Thanks, but to be honest we're goin to Oz on student visas with the 'dream' of getting PR one day.

We don't have any time to hang around and there really has never been a better time to go than now.

Also we have teenage kids coming and if we don't move soon one of them will have to apply for PR on her own as she'll be 18 by the time we are at PR applying status.

Who do you go for, the eldest child or the dog ?!?!

I jest, but we HAVE to go now!
I'm sorry to hear of your problem, I really hope it works out for the best but could I ask the inevitable stupid question what is a lepto and what are the implications of your sam having it as far as the oz authorities are concerned? I thought any immuno stuff would be a good thing? fingers crossed for you all
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 3:25 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Paul, come on mate! I know I am not a dog lover - cat person, sorry but you cannot seriously tell me that after all you and nic and the kids have been through, you would cancel your plans now because of the dog That (IMO) is balmy.

Wait for the test, then if it still shows up, decide then, not worth worrying now. Have you considered a rescue place. Explain the situation, offer them as much as you can afford and see what they say. No harm in trying.
Hi Penny, and yeah I guess unless you ARE a pet lover you just won't get it ...

It took me prob 10 - 12 years for Nic to let me get a dog ... ... but after constant persistence we got there!

Yeah I know, it's ONLY a dog, and all the rest, but he is both of ours 'baby'. Baby & Staffordshire Bull Terrier really don't go together too well, but I guess you'll of have to owned one to know what I'm saying.

Nic has ALWAYS been afraid of big dogs, and still is, but she'll tell you mutters IS our baby!

I have to laugh at what I'm typing now, but it IS how we feel ...

I dunno, maybe the results will come back clear and I'll be posting next week saying the flights are booked! ... but I just don't know now ...

STUPID mistake tho, I'm struggling to get away from that one ...
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 3:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by squeezzii
I'm sorry to hear of your problem, I really hope it works out for the best but could I ask the inevitable stupid question what is a lepto and what are the implications of your sam having it as far as the oz authorities are concerned? I thought any immuno stuff would be a good thing? fingers crossed for you all
Thanks, but this vaccination in question 'Lepto' apparantly Oz has NO sign of it in their country and obv don't wan't any!! ... hence being so strict on it all.

Thanks tho! ...
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

Gill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant future

Good news is easy, we exchanged contracts on the house today! ...

Now the bad news ...

We have our dog vaccinated last Wednesday and the blood tests done on Monday. After the vaccination we sent the card to Golden Arrow and today I woke to a msg from them telling me to phone straight away!

I phoned them and they said the vaccination he's had is a general booster which includes the Lepto vaccination which a dog CANNOT have to go to Oz. When I took the dog to the vet for his jabs I asked for JUST the ones needed, but forgot to make it clear he CANNOT have this bloody Lepto jab, but he's now had a booster which includes this Lepto vaccination.

So current state of play is we're praying that the fact that the blood test was taken only a few days after it was given, it won't show, but if it does, then doggy cannot go to Oz for god knows how long ...

Doggy can't go, we don't go!

I am soooooooo gutted and feel like a right idiot for not making it so clear to the vet, and at the end of the day it's all my fault!

Gutted.

Gutted gutted gutted!
Check with the vet I think there is something they can give to lower the levels if they are 2 high. you have to have 2 tests done anyway 2weeks apart because the Lepto will always show up, so long as it is lower than 1 in 400 on both tests you'll be ok it will definitely show positive at 1 in 100 so don't worry about that. Gook Luck
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 5:22 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Hi Rachel, yeah the forms CAN be confusing, but I WAS well aware of the Lepto and even posted saying to someone that you HAVE to make sure you don't have this damn Lepto, that's why I feel so bad that it ends up being MY dog that ends up fudged!

If it was money, I'd happily pay it to get him over, but from what I gather a dog with it in him / her is simply not goin to Oz till they're clear! ... this can take months!! ...

GA reckon the Lepto is done first and 'might' be back now, will phone the vets and if needed where the tests are done tomorrow to check.

As to leaving him with them till clear, well this 'could' be 8 months, and I don't know the price per day for boarding, but also 8 months IS a long time! ...

I can handle 5 weeks for 'normal' getting him over, but 8 months is ......

I dunno.
Know how you feel mate. Couldn't leave mine either, but how about with a relative? Anyway, don't think about it until you have the results. Did you tell the vet you were emigrating? If so, surely he should of known!?
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 6:35 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20

I don't know if you have children or not, but it's EXACTLY the same as if it was one of your kids. Would you leave one of them behind or find someone to adopt them for you?

It cost me more both financially and emotionally to get my 2 dogs here than it cost to get me and the wife here. If the dogs couldn’t have came then we wouldn’t have came.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 6:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
I don't know if you have children or not, but it's EXACTLY the same as if it was one of your kids. Would you leave one of them behind or find someone to adopt them for you?

It cost me more both financially and emotionally to get my 2 dogs here than it cost to get me and the wife here. If the dogs couldn’t have came then we wouldn’t have came.
I have children and have always until November had animals whom I adored. But, if I had gone through the hoops that Paul and Nic have gone through the last couple of years, I would seriously consider what is more important to them in the long run.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 8:00 am
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Penny, and yeah I guess unless you ARE a pet lover you just won't get it ...

It took me prob 10 - 12 years for Nic to let me get a dog ... ... but after constant persistence we got there!

Yeah I know, it's ONLY a dog, and all the rest, but he is both of ours 'baby'. Baby & Staffordshire Bull Terrier really don't go together too well, but I guess you'll of have to owned one to know what I'm saying.

Nic has ALWAYS been afraid of big dogs, and still is, but she'll tell you mutters IS our baby!

I have to laugh at what I'm typing now, but it IS how we feel ...

I dunno, maybe the results will come back clear and I'll be posting next week saying the flights are booked! ... but I just don't know now ...

STUPID mistake tho, I'm struggling to get away from that one ...

Morning Paul,
New day.........Positive thoughts !!!!!! a few people on here have said about stuff that can lower the levels so give that a go!!! OR speak to authorities and explain situation, someone on this thread said the self same thing happened to them........ Its NOT the end there are some positive steps you can take, give it a go and see waht happens, flights booked next week
Good luck hunny K sent
Jane xxx
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 9:02 am
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute

Fingers crossed for you, we are using Golden Arrow (eventually!!) but it did bother me that they give you all the 'bumf' to give to your vet to vaccinate etc..
one of the other shippers we looked into using have their own vet to call to the house and do it all for you, it obviously more expensive, but it just makes me wonder (as I did at the time) ... what if the vet mis reads the literature!!

Good luck, I know I too would be gutted if my 'babies' couldn't go with us.

Surely there is an antidote to this vaccine??

Keep us all posted, I'd send some karma if I knew how to!!
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 1:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Gill C
Check with the vet I think there is something they can give to lower the levels if they are 2 high. you have to have 2 tests done anyway 2weeks apart because the Lepto will always show up, so long as it is lower than 1 in 400 on both tests you'll be ok it will definitely show positive at 1 in 100 so don't worry about that. Gook Luck
A few people have said this but Golden Arrow reckon it don't work these days altho did with earlier types of vaccines.

I'm awaiting a call from the vets to see if they've heard anything, or to get the number of the place that actually does the testing.

Yeah we did tell the vets we was emigrating, but as GA say they sometimes think THEY know best and they've had cases in the past where they have just given the Lepto vaccine even tho the owner of pet said NOT to!

This was my fault tho as I asked for the 3 vaccines he DID need, but forgot to make it clear NOT to do this bloody Lepto one! They've just give a booster that includes all of them in one hit!

Just chased them up again and 'someone' will be getting in touch soon! ...
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 1:19 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

A few people have said this but Golden Arrow reckon it don't work these days altho did with earlier types of vaccines.

I'm awaiting a call from the vets to see if they've heard anything, or to get the number of the place that actually does the testing.

Yeah we did tell the vets we was emigrating, but as GA say they sometimes think THEY know best and they've had cases in the past where they have just given the Lepto vaccine even tho the owner of pet said NOT to!

This was my fault tho as I asked for the 3 vaccines he DID need, but forgot to make it clear NOT to do this bloody Lepto one! They've just give a booster that includes all of them in one hit!

Just chased them up again and 'someone' will be getting in touch soon! ...

When are you due to fly out or start college?
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 1:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
When are you due to fly out or start college?
Well mutley is sposed to be going to GA on the 15th, flies on the 18th. He gets there on the 20th and we leave on the 20th. ALL of us are enrolled at school and start on the 27th!

Being the 2nd today there wouldn't be enough time to get a 2nd test done and results back in time to fit in with these times, but we could wait a few days no prob if there was any chance the 2nd test would come back lower, but it would be doubtful it would I reckon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.