Wikiposts

Good Luck Cadel

Old Jul 25th 2011, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Luck Cadel

I love how this guy has won for Australia and is being said to be a great Australian athelete when he doesnt even live there anymore!.

He lives in Switzerland but pops back for a month or so to visit australia once a year.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
I love how this guy has won for Australia and is being said to be a great Australian athelete when he doesnt even live there anymore!.

He lives in Switzerland but pops back for a month or so to visit australia once a year.
So? Im pretty sure he was born here and is still an Australian citizen?
I have lived away from the UK (and haven't visited) for 5 years - by your logic does that mean I am no longer British then?
Old Jul 25th 2011, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I just find it amusing that hes shown wearing australia on his gear and hes there going ra ra AUSTRALIA, but then he heads home to switzerland as he doesnt actually want to live in the place hes been promoting so much
Old Jul 25th 2011, 2:40 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I just find it amusing that hes shown wearing australia on his gear and hes there going ra ra AUSTRALIA, but then he heads home to switzerland as he doesnt actually want to live in the place hes been promoting so much
Still don't get your point. Many UK athletes don't live in the UK, they live in Spain or US for training purposes, they still compete for the UK or England or whatever. I tell people England is a fab place, am I not allowed to now I don't live there?
Old Jul 25th 2011, 8:55 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Doh...he's a professional cyclist. You tend to live where the main work is (that would be Europe by the way). Doesn't mean you have to stop referring to what you may consider 'home' as home though.

I guess this observation holds true for quite a few expats here. i.e. They may live in Aus for various reasons, but many of them will always consider their country of origin as 'home'.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 10:29 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

oh, this is so appropriate !!!!
No offence intended to all the MAMILs out there :-)

Last edited by DownUnderPaddy; Jul 25th 2011 at 10:32 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

I found it very amusing when a lady on "Today" suggested that as he was a sportsman, his achievement should be kept on the back page. Also, he was not a hero as he had not saved any lives and was being well paid for his achievement, which was essentially for his own needs, not particularly to serve a country like, say, the armed forces. Karl Stefanovic nearly choked on his own tongue in amazement and proceeded to lambast her.

I totally agree with her. In a week when there have been some horrendous news stories from around the world and the financial crisis in America, I found it distasteful the amount of coverage Cadel got in comparison.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 11:44 pm
Account Closed

billingham is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RenShen
I found it very amusing when a lady on "Today" suggested that as he was a sportsman, his achievement should be kept on the back page. Also, he was not a hero as he had not saved any lives and was being well paid for his achievement, which was essentially for his own needs, not particularly to serve a country like, say, the armed forces. Karl Stefanovic nearly choked on his own tongue in amazement and proceeded to lambast her.

I totally agree with her. In a week when there have been some horrendous news stories from around the world and the financial crisis in America, I found it distasteful the amount of coverage Cadel got in comparison.
Well I actually found it a breath of fresh air from all the doom and gloom. There will always be horrendous news stories - should they have waited to hold the event until there was a break in the blackness? We can display a range of emotions you know - just because I felt joy at what Cadel Evans achieved, does not mean that I had no empathy left for other terrible events.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Still don't get your point. Many UK athletes don't live in the UK, they live in Spain or US for training purposes, they still compete for the UK or England or whatever. I tell people England is a fab place, am I not allowed to now I don't live there?
Funny things dont tend to have points and I guess different people find different things funny
Old Jul 30th 2011, 10:15 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Went out with a group this weekend, plenty of old men in lycra, bloody fit though, hope I can keep that pace up when I get to that age

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
oh, this is so appropriate !!!!
No offence intended to all the MAMILs out there :-)
http://resources1.news.com.au/images...ark-knight.jpg
Old Jul 31st 2011, 11:30 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I saw that on Today and totally agreed with her. Unfortunately what she said was seen as an insult to Evans whereas all she was saying was the win should be seen in context. They showed a magazine this morning and they had delved deep into the box of worn out clichés and come up with True Blue Hero as their front page headline. He is NOT a hero, he is a sportsman.

Originally Posted by RenShen