Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good experience in Oz, but I will return to Europe

Good experience in Oz, but I will return to Europe

Old Jan 27th 2004, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good experience in Oz, but I will return to Europe

I emigrated to Oz (Sydney) in '88. For some years I enjoyed the weather, the outdoor lifestyle and the laid back nature of Australians. But, in 2000 I went back to work in Europe. I then realised what I don't like about Oz/miss about Europe:

- Australians love to talk about sport, sport and...more sport. Conversations don't run much deeper. Oz is very, very parochial. Yes, Oz excels at sport but very little else

- higher education is very mediocre. No university here is world class.

- so much is the same. Get on a plane from Sydney, fly for 5 hours, and then arrive in a city that...is another clean, modern city. Boring

- politics is a joke. Whatever one thinks of Tony Blair, he is a damn sight smarter and more of a statesman than John Howard [And what an immature display by Mr Howard when England beat the Aussies at rugby!]

Recently there was an article in one of the national newspapers with a government representative bemoaning the Australian brain-drain. The Australian contributors to the article commented that they would not be appreciated back in Oz. Professionals do not get ahead by staying in Oz - they go to London, NY...

Let's not even talk about Australia's [in]famous "tall poppy" syndrome!

In summary, I miss the variety and depth that Europe offers - even if the weather is poor, the countries crowded, prices higher. And I will soon be returning to Europe.

Contrary to how it might appear, I've enjoyed being in Oz, because it has made me realise what is important to me - it's no longer the weather and the beaches!
Old Jan 27th 2004, 3:09 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Good experience in Oz, but I will return to Europe

Originally posted by MikeStanton
I emigrated to Oz (Sydney) in '88. For some years I enjoyed the weather, the outdoor lifestyle and the laid back nature of Australians. But, in 2000 I went back to work in Europe. I then realised what I don't like about Oz/miss about Europe:

- Australians love to talk about sport, sport and...more sport. Conversations don't run much deeper. Oz is very, very parochial. Yes, Oz excels at sport but very little else

- so much is the same. Get on a plane from Sydney, fly for 5 hours, and then arrive in a city that...is another clean, modern city. Boring

- politics is a joke. Whatever one thinks of Tony Blair, he is a damn sight smarter and more of a statesman than John Howard [And what an immature display by Mr Howard when England beat the Aussies at rugby!]

Recently there was an article in one of the national newspapers with a government representative bemoaning the Australian brain-drain. The Australian contributors to the article commented that they would not be appreciated back in Oz. Professionals do not get ahead by staying in Oz - they go to London, NY...

In summary, I miss the variety and depth that Europe offers - even if the weather is poor, the countries crowded, prices higher. And I will soon be returning to Europe.

Contrary to how it might appear, I've enjoyed being in Oz, because it has made me realise what is important to me - it's no longer the weather and the beaches!

now, now you don't want to be accused of being pessimistic do you?
I take you don't want to join my "sun big 'ouses and beach political party" do you?

just joking.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 3:24 am
Merlot

I think what I have gleened from your post is that you have been here, lived it but your feelings/likes have changed for the place.

I feel the same and returning back to the UK in March 2004 - been here 7 years.

You have to follow your heart and only you know what makes YOU happy. Realising those things important to you then acting on it takes courage.

It is great you have been able to make that decision. On the other hand those in the UK wanting to move here feel the same about the UK, and I respect that too.

If we were all the same life would be so boring. Variety all the way.

I wish you well.

Merlot

Old Jan 27th 2004, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Fankly I agree with you, but I'm concerned for your safety, posting stuff like this on here is similar to Extreme Sports, thrilling but some dont make it out alive
Old Jan 27th 2004, 3:29 am
Merlot

Originally posted by dotty
Fankly I agree with you, but I'm concerned for your safety, posting stuff like this on here is similar to Extreme Sports, thrilling but some dont make it out alive
Dotty

I have to agree a little too but then again a bit of spark never did the Forum any harm.

Light the blue touch paper and stand well back!

Merlot

Old Jan 27th 2004, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Dotty and Merlot,

Thank you for your concerns re:my safety!

At least there are lots of places to hide in Oz

But your comment reminds me of something else - Aussies are pretty sensitive to criticism - much more so than Brits.
And while we're on the subject of sports (?), the reporting in the Australian papers re:England on the Rugby World Cup was juvenile. It demonstrated how hysterical the average Australian reporter becomes when he/she thinks Oz may be...beaten by - heaven forbid - England. This is probably related to Australia's supposed unshakeable belief in its sporting prowess. Unfortunately, this underlines Australia's immaturity.

It's sad, because, Oz DOES have more to offer.

Whoops, now I'm really in trouble. So, I'll head for the Outback..... by the way, which way is it?!
Old Jan 27th 2004, 3:56 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Steady on, have your guns at the ready when the sun comes up in the UK!!

I do agree though but after a shorter time living in OZ than you, that there are far more important things in life than a hot sunny day and spending time on the beach.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 3:57 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Dotty and Merlot,

Thank you for your concerns re:my safety!

At least there are lots of places to hide in Oz

But your comment reminds me of something else - Aussies are pretty sensitive to criticism - much more so than Brits.
And while we're on the subject of sports (?), the reporting in the Australian papers re:England on the Rugby World Cup was juvenile. It demonstrated how hysterical the average Australian reporter becomes when he/she thinks Oz may be...beaten by - heaven forbid - England. This is probably related to Australia's supposed unshakeable belief in its sporting prowess. Unfortunately, this underlines Australia's immaturity.

It's sad, because, Oz DOES have more to offer.

Whoops, now I'm really in trouble. So, I'll head for the Outback..... by the way, which way is it?!
Ok then .. I take it you don't want to join The "Aus has sun big 'ouses and beaches" party..

each to their own.

I can't get enough voters.

P>S the outback is "thataway"
Old Jan 27th 2004, 4:00 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

I have only been here a very short term and I can certainly see a lot of truth in what your saying.

I really can't comment on the education front yet.

The bearacracy and politicians do appear quite amusing :scared:.

The depth of news coverage etc was summed up by my cousin in that if you miss the first 5 minutes youve missed all the noteworthy stuff.

The only points I can really offer up is "the so much the same" point. I have travelled in 4 states and each one of them has been environmentally different in many ways. We are not big fans of the city and the arts (I'm not really a bogan) etc, but rather natural stuff and theres plenty of that.

On the people front I have noticed the major influence of sport in many peoples lives but its not everyone you speak to. The thing that I liked was actually how conversations spark up so easily and peoples willingness to help

I feel pretty settled already, though I know I'm still classified as on honeymoon, and I can see myself having a happy life. The scary thought is what my children will think when they have grown up.

Everyone is different and wants different things, theres not many who strive for something different and if at the end of it you return home its gotta count as a result because you can say "been there done that, not for me"

Good luck with your return to the UK.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 4:04 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you Germaine Greer trolling under another identity?
Old Jan 27th 2004, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

glhall is an unknown quantity at this point

Do many poms emmigrate to Europe? If the lifestyle/money /culture balance is better over there I would expect that to be the case.

Its interesting that theres been more than a few posts from people who decide to leave Aus because they miss "home" or because of the lack of culture there or because the scenery has got 'boring" but after theyve left and lived in what they think is a better place overall for a while realize that Aus was better after all. Then again there will always be people who love the history and culture of European countries and dont care about the weather overcrowding high cost of living pollution etc and thats fine - I wouldnt critisize them, but I would say they are a minority.

Graham
Old Jan 27th 2004, 4:11 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by bondipom
Are you Germaine Greer trolling under another identity?
I was thinking PB myself .. didn't he come out in the 80's?

P. S to the original poster - if you are for real, I'm just joking.. I'm warning you of the "Aus is great" lot who post in the UK, or the "Aus is great" lot who've only been here five minutes.. and will attack you... run , or take arms .. I choose the arms bit
Old Jan 27th 2004, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by dotty

Dotty,

A articulate balanced opinion backed by experience doesn't "light the blue touch paper"!

Nice one Mike, maybe I'll feel the same after 7 years and maybe I won't. Good luck back in the UK I'm sure you'll have some nice memories of Oz.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Glhall,

Yes, as you say, there are some people who leave Oz only to return when they find that their country of departure was not as great as they imaged it ("rose-tinted spectacles" etc). I was one of those people some years back!

Interestingly, I note your comment re:culture. This is often another area that Antipodeans are sensitive about.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

what about a category for me?..i dont fit into either of those!!...but i dont attack people either...i might as well just butt out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.