Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good Area in Auckland

Good Area in Auckland

Old Jun 10th 2003, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

johneastriggs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good Area in Auckland

Hi there,everyone just a quick update me and my wife have just move to NZ.We have been here 5 weeks now and are staying in Milford on the North Shore.It really is a top location and if anyone needs any info please ask.I work in IT and my wife works in a care home.She got a job within 1 week of arriving.
Old Jun 10th 2003, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good Area in Auckland

Originally posted by johneastriggs
Hi there,everyone just a quick update me and my wife have just move to NZ.We have been here 5 weeks now and are staying in Milford on the North Shore.It really is a top location and if anyone needs any info please ask.I work in IT and my wife works in a care home.She got a job within 1 week of arriving.
Great to hear you've settled in.

Job offer alread is excellent news, and hoping you get sorted soon.

Jealous? Too right
Old Jun 10th 2003, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

Its great to hear from someone who has actually made the move.
What do you do in IT.
We are hoping to move over to NZ and live near Auckland around Sept / Oct.

How far north of the city is the place you have recommended.

PF
Old Jun 10th 2003, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point

I know it's probably been mentioned before, but I've just received in the post the 'Where to Live in Auckland' book, that some of you might have seen advertised on the net.

It was expensive, $56 total inc postage from NZ, and not brilliant quality paper etc, and some of you might not rate it, but I am really pleased. It's really well designed and has chapters on every suburb in Auckland and has info on: House prices, schools zones, type of people who live in the area and loads more.

I've done plenty of research in the past about Auckland on the net, but this book makes it all a lot clearer and I would recommend it to anyone thinking of settling in Auckland.

Am happy to pass on any info on specific areas anyone needs. But get the book if you can!

Karen
Old Jun 10th 2003, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Pastor Flaps
Its great to hear from someone who has actually made the move.
What do you do in IT.
We are hoping to move over to NZ and live near Auckland around Sept / Oct.

How far north of the city is the place you have recommended.

PF
Takapuna and Milford are the TOP suburbs on the Shore, they are next to one another and about 10Kms to CBD. The big problem with the Shore is geting into the CBD in rush hour as you are the wrong side of the harbour.

They are also the best places to live in Auckland if you can afford it and can live with the commute.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

icklepickle is an unknown quantity at this point

My 'where to live in auckland' arrived yesterday as well - I think that it will be really useful. Well worth the money.

johneastriggs : Congratulations on your move, and well done to your wife for getting a job so quickly.

you have probably been through all of this in the forum in the past but if you have time it would be nice to know how long your application process took, what visa route you used and so on and have you got any tips for us?

Have you got a job yet?

Regards

Last edited by icklepickle; Jun 11th 2003 at 5:38 am.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point

Ben
I know it's probably been mentioned before, but I've just received in the post the 'Where to Live in Auckland' book, that some of you might have seen advertised on the net.

It was expensive, $56 total inc postage from NZ, and not brilliant quality paper etc, and some of you might not rate it, but I am really pleased. It's really well designed and has chapters on every suburb in Auckland and has info on: House prices, schools zones, type of people who live in the area and loads more.
For anyone who hasn't yet bought the "Where to Live in Auckland" book it is available FREE from Auckland branches of the National Bank, (as they sponsored it). A friend picked one up for me a few days ago and is posting it over...

Sorry Karen

Ben
Old Jun 11th 2003, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Takapuna and Milford are the TOP suburbs on the Shore, they are next to one another and about 10Kms to CBD. The big problem with the Shore is geting into the CBD in rush hour as you are the wrong side of the harbour.

They are also the best places to live in Auckland if you can afford it and can live with the commute.
Add Remuera, St Heliers, Mission Bay, Parnell, Ponsonby / Herne bay to that list. All of these are on the city side of the bridge as well.

I'm also quite fond of Grey Lynn & Mt Eden, not as pricey as the above but still nice areas & v close to the city.

Russ
Old Jun 11th 2003, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just bought a house on Auckland's North Shore and the book is useful but BEWARE the house prices in it are out of date.

My advice would be to use the book to identify the suburb and then use one of the real estate sites to get an accurate view on house prices.
Old Jun 13th 2003, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

johneastriggs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by icklepickle
My 'where to live in auckland' arrived yesterday as well - I think that it will be really useful. Well worth the money.

johneastriggs : Congratulations on your move, and well done to your wife for getting a job so quickly.

you have probably been through all of this in the forum in the past but if you have time it would be nice to know how long your application process took, what visa route you used and so on and have you got any tips for us?

Have you got a job yet?

Regards
OK heres the full story of our move to NZ.We came out in December and stayed with friends for 5 weeks during that time I had a number of interviews which I secured via the Internet.I basicly went through NZ Yellowpages and mailed my CV to laods of IT Companies.I am an MCSE Network Technician.We came back to the UK in January and applied for Work visas as I had a job offer to put in with the application.It all took about 8 weeks form posting the application to recieving the stamp in our passport.We didnt have enough points for PR thats why I applied for work visa.Rent can be expensive in Auckland as we are renting and not sure if we will ever get PR.We are on a try before you buy type situation which I think takes the pressure off,we can go home at any time as we still have a bought house in UK which we dont have mortgage on and we use the money from renting it, to pay for the rent here.I also set up webcams on relatives pc,s so we see and hear eveyone on a week to week basis this stops the home sickness setting in.I have to say in closing I love it here.It will be different for everyone.Youll never know till you go.If your not sure get a two year work visa to try it out ,if you like it go for PR if not come back to UK.Your only here once.Hope this helps some people I know I got most of my info from this site prior to moving to NZ and now its time to give a bit of info back.PS By the way it takes me about 30 minutes to get from Milford on the North Shore over the harbour bridge and into work in CBD.Its about 10 kms.