Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

gold prospecting in the pilbara wa,

gold prospecting in the pilbara wa,

Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

bybyQLD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default gold prospecting in the pilbara wa,

Hi, I'm considering purchasing a metal detector and having a go at gold prospecting in the pilbara, any comments???
Old Sep 11th 2010, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gold prospecting in the pilbara wa,

Pack a hat and a lot of water.

Keel
Old Sep 11th 2010, 2:35 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever heard of fools gold?
Old Sep 11th 2010, 2:40 pm
Dobro

huey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nicehuey is just really nice

Lots of land up there already has claims on them by other people or companies. And I mean LOTS of land.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 3:55 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bybyQLD
Hi, I'm considering purchasing a metal detector and having a go at gold prospecting in the pilbara, any comments???
You have to be careful you don't tresspass on other peoples claims they could get angry with you pinching their gold. Most people who buy metal detectors try it a few times don't find anything and give up.As an inexperienced first timer your chances may not be good of finding anything unless you get lucky. l think theres metal detecting clubs or groups of people that go out there they would know the best places to go and could show you how to find gold with a detector.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 10:07 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I spent two years prospecting for gold many moons ago. A metal detector isn't what you need. Your best hope of finding visible gold is done by panning for it. Good for a laugh but don't give up your daytime job
Old Sep 11th 2010, 11:31 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Pilbara's not a major gold area. You'd be better off going to Kalgoorlie.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
You have to be careful you don't tresspass on other peoples claims they could get angry with you pinching their gold. Most people who buy metal detectors try it a few times don't find anything and give up.As an inexperienced first timer your chances may not be good of finding anything unless you get lucky. l think theres metal detecting clubs or groups of people that go out there they would know the best places to go and could show you how to find gold with a detector.
The people that know where to go have probably already found what gold there is to be found.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
The people that know where to go have probably already found what gold there is to be found.
We were in VIC on the Gold Fields Route last Christmas and somebody found a $18,000 nugget!

In VIC at least you need a prospectors licence from the Dept. of Primary Industry, but I don't know about WA.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 5:47 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by renth
Pilbara's not a major gold area. You'd be better off going to Kalgoorlie.
yes he might find plenty of iron ore in the Pilbara but not any gold, l don't think he knows what he is doing as l said before unless he joins a prospecting club which knows the best places to go and teaches him how to prospect l doubt he will find any gold.

Last edited by mohogony; Sep 12th 2010 at 5:51 am.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 5:49 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
We were in VIC on the Gold Fields Route last Christmas and somebody found a $18,000 nugget!

In VIC at least you need a prospectors licence from the Dept. of Primary Industry, but I don't know about WA.
Yes he was probably experienced and doing it for years and knew the best areas to go, most people new to it buy a metal detector go bush a few times dig up nothing but rubbish and then give up.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the traditional land owners wouldn't like you digging up their red dirt looking for something that simply isn't there
Old Oct 9th 2010, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

As a exploration geologist in the gold industry i would say your chances in the Pilbara would be pretty slime to say the least. There are deposits there but not suitable for prospecting. As some have said, the goldfields are a better option - theres a clue in the name

There is gold to be found by prospecting and i know a couple of guys who do it. Very difficult to make a living at, but as a hobby that sometimes pays then seems good fun. Do though be aware of the laws regarding it.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 11:59 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
As a exploration geologist in the gold industry i would say your chances in the Pilbara would be pretty slime to say the least. There are deposits there but not suitable for prospecting. As some have said, the goldfields are a better option - theres a clue in the name

There is gold to be found by prospecting and i know a couple of guys who do it. Very difficult to make a living at, but as a hobby that sometimes pays then seems good fun. Do though be aware of the laws regarding it.
Are you involved in surface exploration or are you down a mine?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Both. This morning i will be designing underground drill proposals and this afternoon out at a regional target with a rig. Was until recently greenfields targeting but working from a mine offers better rosters. Why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.