Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

gold coast resorts??

gold coast resorts??

Old Oct 6th 2008, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

bushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura about
Question gold coast resorts??

We are thinking of a holiday on the Gold Coast next year but there are so many hotels/apartments there I don't know where to start!!
I'm not sure either whereabouts to stay, should it be Surfers Paradise,Mermaid Beach, Broadwater...the list seems to be endless!
It'll probably be me, hubby and almost 16yr old son.:confused
Any ideas anyone?
Old Oct 6th 2008, 10:19 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gold coast resorts??

Originally Posted by bushy
We are thinking of a holiday on the Gold Coast next year but there are so many hotels/apartments there I don't know where to start!!
I'm not sure either whereabouts to stay, should it be Surfers Paradise,Mermaid Beach, Broadwater...the list seems to be endless!
It'll probably be me, hubby and almost 16yr old son.:confused
Any ideas anyone?

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...cr%3DcountryAU

What you can get, how much you will pay, depends on when you book and what level of accommodation you want. Sept to Feb is usually the hardest and dearest time for accommodation, with school holidays, Indy, Schoolies Week(s) etc.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Jmbau is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Surfers Paradise followed by Braodbeach, then Mermaid Beach are the busiest areas of the Gold Coast for holiday makers whilst Coolangatta, Rainbow Bay and Kirra on the southern Gold Coast are quieter areas. Rainbow Bay has the safest bach on the GC. Most people that tend to stay in the Surfers area do so because they like the proximity to the theme parks. Despite this, the parks are accessible from the southern end as well due to express buses.

The following website may be of some assistance to you;

www.verygc.com

If you need any more info you can access this website to send an email to the Visitor Information Centre in Surfers which is where I work.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Annie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really nice

Hi,
I would say it depends upon what you are looking for.

Surfers is busy and touristy. Broadbeach is a bit more classy, has great restaurants, but less attractions close by - I think you need to hire a car if there.

Main Beach which is just north of Surfers Paradise, is quieter, you can walk to great restaurants, and the ocean beach or the broadwater - as well as tourists a lot of well heeled Gold Coasters live in Main Beach...

Mermaid is getting a bit quieter in terms of things to do etc, and you need a car....

If you are after a resort, resort, you may need to look at Royal Pines Resort or Palm Meadows, Sanctuary Cove Hyatt... Turtle beach resort is lower standard, but quite good, though on the highway at Mermaid Beach... So can be a bit noisy and no outlook.

If you go south to Coolangatta there are some great apartments like Reflections on the Sea etc, and there is Kirra which has an awesome beach.

It really depends what you are looking for....

Hope this helps a little
Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If it were me, and I had to be in one of the areas you mention, I'd go with Broadbeach. If it were me and anywhere on the coast was possible, I'd go for Coolie. It's easy enough to walk into Surfers from Broadbeach, doesn't take long. Most hotels and apartment blocks have transport available to and from the theme parks so that's not an issue.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:13 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

We nearly always stay at Broadbeach its got a good range of restaurants, you can walk into Surfers (if needed) and the beach is good too.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

bushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura about

Thanks everyone, that has given me a better idea of where to start. We will probably hire a car anyway so will look at the places that are a bit further south.