Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gold Coast reccie trip March 07

Gold Coast reccie trip March 07

Old Nov 26th 2006, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Brentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really nice
Default Gold Coast reccie trip March 07

Hello all,

We have just booked flights (singapore airlines £750 each) to come out to Brisbane from March 16 to April 2nd. We are looking to relocate to the gold coast and would gratefully receive any and all your tips and reccomendations on the following:

Cheap rental accomodation for our stay.
Cheap car rental companies to pick up at Brisbane airport
Employment agencies or similar ( I am a plumber)
Anything else you feel we should know/visit/avoid.

Thanks in advance for your help, with a bit of luck we will shout you some beers in person in the very near future!!

Best regards, Russell.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 4:23 pm
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Gold Coast reccie trip March 07

Originally Posted by Brentacc
Hello all,

We have just booked flights (singapore airlines £750 each) to come out to Brisbane from March 16 to April 2nd. We are looking to relocate to the gold coast and would gratefully receive any and all your tips and reccomendations on the following:

Thanks in advance for your help, with a bit of luck we will shout you some beers in person in the very near future!!

Best regards, Russell.
Hi Russell, the only thing I can recommend that will help you is the care rental, we used Holiday Autos (sister company of Thrifty within Brisbane Airport), all inclusive and no added extras, we had a brand new Mitsubishi 380 which was excellent.
Hope you enjoy your reccie and there are plenty of people on here who are in the Gold Coast that will give you some good advice.
Clairex
Old Nov 26th 2006, 6:10 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gold Coast reccie trip March 07

Hello all,

Best regards, Russell.
Visit as many beaches as you can....beautiful all of them but Rainbow Bay was my favourite....... Enjoy!!!!! C x
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Brentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really nice

Originally Posted by shiels
Visit as many beaches as you can....beautiful all of them but Rainbow Bay was my favourite....... Enjoy!!!!! C x
So we drive the thrifty car down to Rainbow bay sounds perfect, thanks for your tips so far, cant wait even though it is four months away am already excited!!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't think of anything to avoid especially at the time you're coming over. Hire cars - one thing worth noting is that you get charged a supplement by picking up at the airport. If you are staying in Brissie to begin with you may be better off getting a taxi to accommodation and picking up the rental from there.

No idea about employment agencies for plumbers sorry but assume you know you will have to redo licence and stuff before finding proper work?

Cheap accommodation - depends on where you want to place yourself. Some areas are cheaper than others, but you can find cheap accom all over from basic camp sites upwards.

Sorry just noticed your timeframe - will you be on the gold coast for all that time, in which case you'd be better off with an apartment maybe around the Burleigh way - fairly central for everything, unless you KNOW you will be wanting to live at the top end. It only takes about 40 minutes to go from top to bottom but with young children on board, those 40 minutes become several hours

Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary is lovely for small children, and loads of other places but obviously money becomes an issue if you want to do too many places like that although there are stacks of stuff to do that's free.

there is masses more info I and others can give but I have to go and start cooking now

Edit: Just realised I thought you were someone else so apologies, you might not have kids or need to do stuff so you can probably ignore a lot of the above

Last edited by moneypenny20; Nov 27th 2006 at 7:08 am.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Can't think of anything to avoid especially at the time you're coming over. Hire cars - one thing worth noting is that you get charged a supplement by picking up at the airport. If you are staying in Brissie to begin with you may be better off getting a taxi to accommodation and picking up the rental from there.

No idea about employment agencies for plumbers sorry but assume you know you will have to redo licence and stuff before finding proper work?

Cheap accommodation - depends on where you want to place yourself. Some areas are cheaper than others, but you can find cheap accom all over from basic camp sites upwards.

Sorry just noticed your timeframe - will you be on the gold coast for all that time, in which case you'd be better off with an apartment maybe around the Burleigh way - fairly central for everything, unless you KNOW you will be wanting to live at the top end. It only takes about 40 minutes to go from top to bottom but with young children on board, those 40 minutes become several hours

Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary is lovely for small children, and loads of other places but obviously money becomes an issue if you want to do too many places like that although there are stacks of stuff to do that's free.

there is masses more info I and others can give but I have to go and start cooking now

Edit: Just realised I thought you were someone else so apologies, you might not have kids or need to do stuff so you can probably ignore a lot of the above
Thanks for the tip about airport supplements! We do have kids but they are staying back in UK with granny this time as we want to try and acheive a lot during our trip and as you rightly say several hours on the road a day looking at houses and hopefully talking to prospective employers ould not be their idea of fun!!!!

We were hoping to rent a small (2bed) house around the helensvale(ish) area but all the holiday rentals eem to be centred (predictably) around surfers or right on the beach. We may be kidding ourselves a little, but, wanted to try and get a feel for what "real life" is like and so just a normal house rather than a flash beach front place would be ideal just havent found anything yet.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 11:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the tip about airport supplements! We do have kids but they are staying back in UK with granny this time as we want to try and acheive a lot during our trip and as you rightly say several hours on the road a day looking at houses and hopefully talking to prospective employers ould not be their idea of fun!!!!

We were hoping to rent a small (2bed) house around the helensvale(ish) area but all the holiday rentals eem to be centred (predictably) around surfers or right on the beach. We may be kidding ourselves a little, but, wanted to try and get a feel for what "real life" is like and so just a normal house rather than a flash beach front place would be ideal just havent found anything yet.
Be hard pressed for a "real" home just for a couple of weeks, for obvious reasons people prefer to rent their houses out for six month minimum normally so it will be very hard to find. Best I can suggest would be an apartment, but there are bound to be stacks that aren't flash beach front
Old Nov 27th 2006, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

Hi,

I know you were thinking Helensvale but just as an alternative We have a two bedroom apartment in Broadbeach. It's fully furnished and available for short-mid term letting. (we were going to set up a "meet at airport, tranfer to apartment, all you need" type package for new arivals, but haven't had the chance as yet as it has been fully booked since we bought it!) We have had a few March enquiries, but nothing confirmed as yet.

Cheers

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Gold Coast reccie trip March 07-2.jpg   Gold Coast reccie trip March 07-1.jpg   Gold Coast reccie trip March 07-8.jpg  
Old Nov 27th 2006, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Gold Coast reccie trip March 07

Originally Posted by doub
Hi,

I know you were thinking Helensvale but just as an alternative We have a two bedroom apartment in Broadbeach. It's fully furnished and available for short-mid term letting. (we were going to set up a "meet at airport, tranfer to apartment, all you need" type package for new arivals, but haven't had the chance as yet as it has been fully booked since we bought it!) We have had a few March enquiries, but nothing confirmed as yet.

Cheers

Mark
Thanks Mark, looks absolutely stunning, really nicely furnished!! could you let me know prices, wife has fallen in love with pic of the beach!!

thanks in advance, Russell.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

Thanks Mark, looks absolutely stunning, really nicely furnished!! could you let me know prices, wife has fallen in love with pic of the beach!!

thanks in advance, Russell.
no problem Russell, I will check the price for March and send you a pm/email with some details

Cheers Mark
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

ormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really nice

Hello all,

Best regards, Russell.
Hi there, we might be on the same flight were looking at going for good and flying on the 16th March with Singapore Airlines to Brisbane!!!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

h1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to all

Hello all,

Best regards, Russell.
Hi Russell,

OH and I are flying to Brisbane for 21/2 weeks on 8th March for a reccie. I can totally understand why you are not taking the kids. We are the same - much as we love our 3 they would not enjoy driving round looking at suburbs and schools for hours at a time - so we are leaving them with Gran.
Feel free to give us a shout if you want to arrange a meet up in OZ.

Tracy x