Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Was Gold Coast, now maybe Sunshine, advice plz????

Was Gold Coast, now maybe Sunshine, advice plz????

Old Aug 24th 2009, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

tezluelle is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Was Gold Coast, now maybe Sunshine, advice plz????

We were originally going to try out the Sunshine Coast but for various reasons, of many I can not now remember since having made this decision over 18 months ago, changed our minds to the GC. RObina seemed to be the area that sprang out at us on the GC but property is poorer value for money there due to demand. However, the amenities and cycle tracks etc. really appealed. Now looking at property available on the SC and researching more about Caloundra, we are torn. Caloundra has beaches, reasonable property prices but sounds like it has less amenities? I know that onve upon a time the construction industry was booming on the SC and would hope eventually things may work towards that direction again. I am also unsure of the weather diferences between the SC and GC. I read in one post there is very little but in another that the sunshine coast is very humid and wetter due to be further north?

We currently live in the sea side town, Skegness and I like the holiday feel and all the entertainment for kids that this brings about eg. paddling pools, crazy golf, play areas, boating lakes etc, etc.

We will travel all over both regions when we arrive in November as we are planning to take a break when we first arrive (fingers tightly crossed for the visa and as hubby is a plasterer, time of year and economy, we are well aware that the break may have to be longer) but its nice to hear other peoples views and experiences.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 8:55 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was Gold Coast, now maybe Sunshine, advice plz????

Originally Posted by tezluelle
We were originally going to try out the Sunshine Coast but for various reasons, of many I can not now remember since having made this decision over 18 months ago, changed our minds to the GC. RObina seemed to be the area that sprang out at us on the GC but property is poorer value for money there due to demand. However, the amenities and cycle tracks etc. really appealed. Now looking at property available on the SC and researching more about Caloundra, we are torn. Caloundra has beaches, reasonable property prices but sounds like it has less amenities? I know that onve upon a time the construction industry was booming on the SC and would hope eventually things may work towards that direction again. I am also unsure of the weather diferences between the SC and GC. I read in one post there is very little but in another that the sunshine coast is very humid and wetter due to be further north?

We currently live in the sea side town, Skegness and I like the holiday feel and all the entertainment for kids that this brings about eg. paddling pools, crazy golf, play areas, boating lakes etc, etc.

We will travel all over both regions when we arrive in November as we are planning to take a break when we first arrive (fingers tightly crossed for the visa and as hubby is a plasterer, time of year and economy, we are well aware that the break may have to be longer) but its nice to hear other peoples views and experiences.

Hi

We think both GC / SC are fantastic. Believe me they are nothing like Skeggy.

We have just spent a few days up on the SC (Hervey Bay / Rainbow Beach / Caloundra / Noosa) and really enjoyed all of them. Although we live on the south side of Brissie its easier for us to get to the GC.

The GC gets a bad rep on this MB from some people, i think there is something for everyone there, if you can be bothered to explore. Theres the centre at Surfers which is like an up market Blackpool (IMO), then theres the lovely spot at Tallebudera (we spent Sunday there) which is absolutely beautiful.

As regards the "Holiday Feel", i have that feeling everyday, even after 4 and a bit years, maybe its the weather, or the lush greenery, or the light ??? i dunno but its there, and everywhere you go you'll find play areas for the kids, free BBQ's, Parks on nearly every corner, and guess what...its all free.
This applies to the suburbs and city / town centres.
Oh and another thing, we've just had the outlaws out here for 3 weeks and we were out and about all day, everyday and they could'nt believe we never once paid for parking....

Hope this helps.

Cheers And Good Luck
Old Aug 24th 2009, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Ive lived on both coasts, to be honest once you get over the theme parks and bigger shops, you could live in either on a day to day basis and find life basically exactly the same.

GC to SC is a 2 hour drive, the weather is very similar, sometimes GC gets more rain , sometimes SC, temps vary by a degree if at all.

Construction market is not booming job wise anywhere in OZ at the moment, Darwin being a possible exception, however I would describe anyone who could work in constuction in Darwins Climate as hardy to say the least

Caloundras OK, main street is dire, unless you like $2 stores and charity shops, however it does have all 3 supermarkets so someone thinks it going places Nice beaches.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

I lived in Caloundra for nearly 3 years. Have a look at the Ivadale Lakes estate in little mountain.Lots of parkland walking tracks etc. The local Meridian school is highly rated and its only 5 mins from the highway and 1hr from Brisbane on a good day. But remember that the building industry is going thruogh a tough time so you may struggle for work .Sunny coast is predicted to really struggle in these testing times
Caloundra is vert pretty and the Gloria Jeans coffee shop is ace try the banana brad toasted ahhh
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

shonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant future

I have to say that if you are looking for somewhere that the building trade is booming, try Mackay. There is development everywhere here, certainly no signs of a economic crisis here! I live in a new estate which is part finished, I can view 4 new houses being built from my place and there are 10's of them going up at any one time! Seeing as nobody here likes brick on show and everything is rendered, sure there would be plenty of work for a plasterer!!!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Caloundras OK, main street is dire, unless you like $2 stores and charity shops, however it does have all 3 supermarkets so someone thinks it going places Nice beaches.
OMG that sounds exactly like our high street at Skegness!

Thanks everyone for your replys, other peoples insights are so helpful when trying to paint a realistic picture of our new life.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by raven
I lived in Caloundra for nearly 3 years. Have a look at the Ivadale Lakes estate in little mountain.Lots of parkland walking tracks etc. The local Meridian school is highly rated and its only 5 mins from the highway and 1hr from Brisbane on a good day. But remember that the building industry is going thruogh a tough time so you may struggle for work .Sunny coast is predicted to really struggle in these testing times
Caloundra is vert pretty and the Gloria Jeans coffee shop is ace try the banana brad toasted ahhh
Thanks for the advice, we will definitely check that area out, since it is not the first time I have heard good things about little mountain.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:47 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in the Sunshine Coast. I like both coasts. SC is a bit quiet for some - for us its perfect. Our own little hideaway.

Andrew works all over Queensland - and is very often in Mackay. Cairns has slowed right down work wise, fair bit for us in Townsville. SC is very quiet for work.

Brisbane sucks because of the traffic, he finds it easier to work elsewhere.

Caloundra is nice, but not my favourite choice for the coast. I can think of other places (most places) I would choose before Caloundra.

The reason we didnt move to the Gold Coast is because of the traffic when we went to the supermarket on holiday once - I thought - god I couldnt do this every day to get a car parking space. Story of my life though, I live on whims...
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shonalouise
I have to say that if you are looking for somewhere that the building trade is booming, try Mackay. There is development everywhere here, certainly no signs of a economic crisis here! I live in a new estate which is part finished, I can view 4 new houses being built from my place and there are 10's of them going up at any one time! Seeing as nobody here likes brick on show and everything is rendered, sure there would be plenty of work for a plasterer!!!
I had never heard of there as it is much further up that I had researched. What's it like? We are very isolated where we live at the moment ie. no uni near by, nearest decents shops an hours drive away, poor career opportunities etc. Although there is so much I love about where I live for the kids like the clean costal air and family entertainment. One of our main reasons for moving is to give our family access to better opportunities and to be closer to a major city in the hope that our children will have every chance on their doorstep......well we can try at least

Would love to hear more about mackay though because there would be nothing to stop us relocating a few years down the line if need be!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:49 am
life's good

allison is a jewel in the roughallison is a jewel in the roughallison is a jewel in the roughallison is a jewel in the rough

Yes I would agree travel to both when u arrive and see what u feel instinctively. True it is probably wetter and possibly cooler. Certainly SC is cooler and wetter compared with brisbane. However not cool by Uk standards. Also to bear in mind the public hopsital system is far superior in GC than Nambour hospital on SC which is failing in many areas! Maybe a consideration. Good luck.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice

Gold Coast gives me a feeling of extreme congestion with overrated property prices. Buildings cramped close together, full of high rise, full of tourist, schoolies week held there, all these doesn't seem like a place to live if you like a relaxing place with peace and quiet. Haven't been to Sunshine coast but heard its a lovely place where people move to after retirement. Sounds like a peaceful relaxing place.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by looky
Gold Coast gives me a feeling of extreme congestion with overrated property prices. Buildings cramped close together, full of high rise, full of tourist, schoolies week held there, all these doesn't seem like a place to live if you like a relaxing place with peace and quiet. Haven't been to Sunshine coast but heard its a lovely place where people move to after retirement. Sounds like a peaceful relaxing place.
tis a big place though....to be fair heaps of areas are not like that....
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:44 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by looky
another "expert" that dosnt live here, perhaps if you took off the blinkers you`d see the bigger picture
Old Aug 25th 2009, 11:10 pm
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by raven
try the banana brad ahhh
He sounds promising, where can I meet this Banana Brad?
Old Aug 25th 2009, 11:55 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
another "expert" that dosnt live here, perhaps if you took off the blinkers you`d see the bigger picture

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.