Reload this Page >

Gold Coast Family Areas

Gold Coast Family Areas

Old Sep 17th 2012, 7:29 am
Just Joined

han2505 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Gold Coast Family Areas

Hey All

I am relocating to the Gold Coast from Mackay (been here the entire time I have lived in Australia) in November and am wanting some information on the best places to live.

We have 2 children, almost 1 and a 2 year old, so want to be maybe 30-an hr out of the busy areas but hubby has to travel to Moranbah for work so need transport to the airport (although I have heard that Coolangatta airport are doing direct flights, if anyone knows about this?), but if not then obviously brisbane.

Does anyone have any information on good family places? or places definitely to avoid?

My mum lives in NSW about half an hr over the border so was hoping to be near her but if we have to go more North I dont mind.

Thanks All

Last edited by han2505; Sep 17th 2012 at 7:32 am.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 1:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gold Coast Family Areas

No idea where Morambah and can't see anything on the airport website so can't help you there but generally speaking the only places that are not so child friendly would be the area of Southport/Surfers/Broadbeach although they all have schools so not 'unfriendly' either. All the primary schools as far as I am aware are excellent (bar one but I'm not going into that publicly) and the high schools of a high standard. One or two have not the greatest rep but they're still good schools and you can send a child to the (supposedly) best school on the coast and they can have the worse experience, it's all too individual to give advice on imo.

If your husband is going to need Brissie airport regularly then personally I wouldn't consider the coast, but if it's a FIFO fortnightly thing then not so bad but the Gateway Motorway is a bitch unless you're using it between 9pm and 5am! (Well it was, not been on it for 8/9 months but can't imagine it's improved greatly).

I'm down the south end of the coast and much prefer the feel of it. You can sense more of a busyness about the place, driving etc once you get half way up the motorway/highway. If you want bigger blocks, space and green then the west of the motorway would be better in general but if you're happier with smaller blocks, more estate like housing then for the most part it's east although some of the suburbs get more expensive because you're nearer canals/ocean.

It's a real suck it and see type place, some suburbs have their own vibe and only you can decide what works best for you. There are suburbs I wouldn't dream of living in but not because there's anything wrong with them, just that they don't suit me so I'd never suggest a suburb/school to anyone, not even if I knew them well.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 1:29 am
Just Joined

So pretty much just go and look and then decide?

Would you be able to name a few places down south so I can look into them a bit before we go? As I would prefer to be more south but hubby will be getting the train to the airport so I was looking at Varsity lakes if you know anything about there but don't mind going further away?
Old Sep 18th 2012, 1:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Varsity is ok, too built up for me but seems to be loved by those that live there. Excellent for the train obviously, who knows when the line will be extended, so you'll always get a seat going north! It's close to Robina for the shopping centre although has a few small groups of shops. It's close to the ocean, won't take long to get down to your mum etc. If your husband can fly from Coolie, then it's only 20 mins down the motorway.

Schooling is well covered, Varsity College has two campuses, the primary and high, good rep. I know people who are/were very happy with it, a couple who weren't - no different from anywhere else It's also close to Robina schools and Mudgeeraba Primary isn't far, depending on what side of VL you're on. You're not going to get a 'big' block but it is family friendly. Varsity College do have a catchment area, so prices can be bumped accordingly but you want to get in and can, once you're in, you are able to move further afield. No idea on house prices, haven't needed to keep an eye on them.

Mudgeeraba is a bit more 'country' and has a good primary. The housing is slighly older but bigger blocks. I personally wouldn't want to be further away from the train or motorway if I was having to get up to Brissie airport than Mudgee but Burleigh would be ok.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

If its Brissy Airport take a look at Hope Island, Paradise Point, Monterey Keys and Sanctuary Cove
Old Sep 18th 2012, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by coldbeer
If its Brissy Airport take a look at Hope Island, Paradise Point, Monterey Keys and Sanctuary Cove
And Coomera Waters
Old Sep 18th 2012, 5:21 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Will you be buying or renting? Makes a difference, as buyers usually don't mind older suburbs where the houses need a bit of renovation whilst renters want a newer property which needs nothing doing to it.

If hubby is FIFO out of Brisbane, then use the train. 2 weeks of parking at the airport will be horrendously expensive!
Old Sep 18th 2012, 5:39 am
Just Joined

Sorry were going to be renting
Old Sep 21st 2012, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by han2505
Hey All

I am relocating to the Gold Coast from Mackay (been here the entire time I have lived in Australia) in November and am wanting some information on the best places to live.

We have 2 children, almost 1 and a 2 year old, so want to be maybe 30-an hr out of the busy areas but hubby has to travel to Moranbah for work so need transport to the airport (although I have heard that Coolangatta airport are doing direct flights, if anyone knows about this?), but if not then obviously brisbane.

Does anyone have any information on good family places? or places definitely to avoid?

My mum lives in NSW about half an hr over the border so was hoping to be near her but if we have to go more North I dont mind.

Thanks All
Just had a quick look at flights to Mooranbah out of the Gold Coast, and it is doable, but would mean changing aircraft in Sydney. Brisbane has loads of direct flights which might be more suitable.