Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

gold coast or bayside

gold coast or bayside

Old Nov 14th 2004, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gold coast or bayside

Hi sue,not sure yet where we re gonig jusy trying to get the full picture,have you decided where your going in bayside yet?

A trip would be a good idea but not sure about the money side of things,anywayWHAT ABOUT US :scared:

tracey.
Originally Posted by Sue2
Hi Tracey

Great post! You cant go anywhere else, we`re gonna be neighbours

Chris is gonna go to out for 2 wks in March to do loads of research, do you think Gary would be up for it?

Sue x
Old Nov 14th 2004, 9:47 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scissors
Hi dagboy,thanks for your reply,i, myself wont need to commute but hubby might, not sure yet, he would like to work from home,but if he does he has got a moterbike that he goes to work on know or he might take the train, that should cut the journey down anyway.

Just out of interest,how long would it take to get to cbd in rush hour from bayside how do the two compare?Just trying to get the full picture.

tracey.
I do not live as far out as some - we are near Manly West. Our nearest station is Manly and I believe the express will have you in the city in about 30 mins - not too certain as I have only caught the train about twice. The non express service (stops at more places) takes about 40 mins I think. One of my colleagues comes in by train from somewhere on the GC and it takes her more than an hour - not sure how much longer. If you look on Qld Rail's website you can get a better idea. The key difference I noticed between the trains here and the South Waste trains I used to get to go to London from near Boringstoke is that the ones here run on time.

I drive in each day (and park near the central station) - not quite at rush hour as I can start a bit later often. If I leave the house at between 7.30 and 7.45 I am walking past central station by about 8.30-8.40. If I leave the house at 8.00 I usually get to the station at about 8.40-8.50. If I leave at 8.15 I will be there at about 8.50 and if I leave home at 8.30 I will be there by 9.00-9.05. Not surprisingly, I opt to do the 8.15 or 8.30 journey as I hate sitting in traffic. Interestingly, if I go in later - say about 10.00 it takes about 40-45 mins as the traffic lights are no longer programmed to allow lots of flow into the city so there are more delays at the lights. That is the downside of commuting in through the suburbs.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Nov 14th 2004, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi sue,not sure yet where we re gonig jusy trying to get the full picture,have you decided where your going in bayside yet?

A trip would be a good idea but not sure about the money side of things,anywayWHAT ABOUT US :scared:

tracey.

Hi Tracey

Not sure yet about what part? thats why Chris was gonna go out, find it hard to decide looking on the net would rather at least one of us go and have a look and get the feel of the place really. Me & kids would love to go but could`nt afford it

If you change your mind just let us know We could always go

Sue
Old Nov 14th 2004, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmmm....i guess i could find the money somehow

tracey
Originally Posted by Sue2
Hi Tracey

Not sure yet about what part? thats why Chris was gonna go out, find it hard to decide looking on the net would rather at least one of us go and have a look and get the feel of the place really. Me & kids would love to go but could`nt afford it

If you change your mind just let us know We could always go

Sue
Old Nov 15th 2004, 8:31 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I wish I knew
There was a newspaper report SMH that was talking about NSW electricity shortages, and saying As well, the ability of NSW to be able to "import" electricity from Queensland and Victoria during peak demand periods means that its position is more secure than that of some of the other states, which appears to indicate that QLD has plenty to spare ?

However, I think that most power cuts are during storms where trees and branches break the power lines when falling. During the last few weeks I have seen many Energex workers out trimming trees near the power lines.

We have had very few cuts in my area, but then our power lines are mainly underground.
Just seen this in The Australian confiriming blackout fears:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...5E2702,00.html
Old Nov 15th 2004, 9:24 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by worzel
Just seen this in The Australian confiriming blackout fears:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...5E2702,00.html
I see.. thisi is the relevent bit
"Queensland generates 20 per cent excess capacity and moving it from power stations is in good order, but the problem is in getting it to people," Mr Jorss said.

The two priority areas the Government needed to address were vegetation management and cross-arm inspection. "That means more people inspecting the network out in the streets, and it also means keeping more trees away from the powerlines," he said. "While there will always be blackouts in Queensland because we've got an overhead power system, that's the two areas they've let go in the past few years.

Old Nov 15th 2004, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

well guys we ve decided on the gold coast,and i think we ve converted a few along the way thanks for all your pms you were a great help.Now we ve just got to decide which suburb?i think one of us and one of our friend on expats is going to come out around march time to explore, mean time its a battle of the sexes to decide whether its the men or the women So if anyone could help us in the meantime to decide on which ones sound the best for us and then we will know where to start looking when we come over.

We ve been looking at helensvale,which from the real eastate sites looks like a nice area and im reliably informed that its 24 km from surfers paradise,so not too far at all,and there are some good schools in the area,Ashmore is another one that i like the look of,which i think is a little nearer to the beaches than helensvale, about 10mins drive so im told,handy for our taxi service you know(mums taxi) im sure you know what i mean.Buliegh looks nice also and quie near to everything as is varsity lakes,ive looked at robina but that looks a bit more expensive,please correct me if im wrong, im certainly no expert.

What i could do with is a cbd ditectory map, yo know a bit like the english a to z so if anyone know where i could get one from i woul;d be grateful.

If anyone could add to my list of good areas to live around the gold coast i and i dont doubt many others would be very gtateful, and any more info on the areas i have already listed would be good also,until i can manage to get a good book on the gold coast,things like schools and tate colleges in the area train atations, shops recreational things to do,are there any beaches in the area that are more siutable for younger children,you know not surfers,and of course how long it will take me to get to surfers paradise.Cant think of anything else at the minute but im sure i will,thanks guys

tracey
Old Nov 15th 2004, 1:34 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

well guys we ve decided on the gold coast,and i think we ve converted a few along the way thanks for all your pms you were a great help.Now we ve just got to decide which suburb?i think one of us and one of our friend on expats is going to come out around march time to explore, mean time its a battle of the sexes to decide whether its the men or the women So if anyone could help us in the meantime to decide on which ones sound the best for us and then we will know where to start looking when we come over.

We ve been looking at helensvale,which from the real eastate sites looks like a nice area and im reliably informed that its 24 km from surfers paradise,so not too far at all,and there are some good schools in the area,Ashmore is another one that i like the look of,which i think is a little nearer to the beaches than helensvale, about 10mins drive so im told,handy for our taxi service you know(mums taxi) im sure you know what i mean.Buliegh looks nice also and quie near to everything as is varsity lakes,ive looked at robina but that looks a bit more expensive,please correct me if im wrong, im certainly no expert.

What i could do with is a cbd ditectory map, yo know a bit like the english a to z so if anyone know where i could get one from i woul;d be grateful.

If anyone could add to my list of good areas to live around the gold coast i and i dont doubt many others would be very gtateful, and any more info on the areas i have already listed would be good also,until i can manage to get a good book on the gold coast,things like schools and tate colleges in the area train atations, shops recreational things to do,are there any beaches in the area that are more siutable for younger children,you know not surfers,and of course how long it will take me to get to surfers paradise.Cant think of anything else at the minute but im sure i will,thanks guys

tracey

Hi Tracey. Do you work mornings or don't you get up until lunchtime as you only seem to post after Neighbours has finished? I think we are edging towards Bayside at the moment as I am expecting to find it easier to get work in Brizzie initially and its only about 40 mins on the train. But then once we have that visa and start looking for work we could change our minds again if the right offer comes up. We could edge out bets with Helensvale which is about mid-way but then that guarantees a commute one way or the other.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi worzel,no i dont stop in bed till lunch time, damn cheek,and no i dont watch neighbours either,lol,i usually look to see if ive got any mail before i go to work in the morning and again when i get home,day off today though,if you can call housework and shopping day off and of course surfing the net at property sites. we decided we thought bayside would be to quiet for us mainly cos of our daughter,so we ve decided on a suburb off the goldcoast instead,depends what you want from your move, bayside does look nice and we ve made quite a few friends from over there and going there so we will definatly visit.Take a look at this site, i dont know if it would be of any interest to you springfieldlakes.com.au looks nice, i think a bit inland but between bayside and the gold coast.

tracey.
Hi Tracey. Do you work mornings or don't you get up until lunchtime as you only seem to post after Neighbours has finished? I think we are edging towards Bayside at the moment as I am expecting to find it easier to get work in Brizzie initially and its only about 40 mins on the train. But then once we have that visa and start looking for work we could change our minds again if the right offer comes up. We could edge out bets with Helensvale which is about mid-way but then that guarantees a commute one way or the other.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 2:56 pm
A former regular of BE

Hi worzel,no i dont stop in bed till lunch time, damn cheek,and no i dont watch neighbours either,lol,i usually look to see if ive got any mail before i go to work in the morning and again when i get home,day off today though,if you can call housework and shopping day off and of course surfing the net at property sites. we decided we thought bayside would be to quiet for us mainly cos of our daughter,so we ve decided on a suburb off the goldcoast instead,depends what you want from your move, bayside does look nice and we ve made quite a few friends from over there and going there so we will definatly visit.Take a look at this site, i dont know if it would be of any interest to you springfieldlakes.com.au looks nice, i think a bit inland but between bayside and the gold coast.

tracey.
You want to get yourself a job where you can surf all day Not sure about Srpingfield Lakes, looks nice but I would like an established community as there is too much else to "create" when we get out there. Besides, that name! Springfield Lakes sounds like where Homer's dad's retirement home should be
Old Nov 15th 2004, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

What, a job like yours.lol,never thought of the simpsons,good one,lol.

tracey.

ps sending you a pm.
You want to get yourself a job where you can surf all day Not sure about Srpingfield Lakes, looks nice but I would like an established community as there is too much else to "create" when we get out there. Besides, that name! Springfield Lakes sounds like where Homer's dad's retirement home should be
Old Nov 15th 2004, 3:49 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

What, a job like yours.lol,never thought of the simpsons,good one,lol.

tracey.

ps sending you a pm.
so long as there is no nuclear power plant, no "mr burns" and i don't drive a pink car...... I think the Gold Coast will do just fine! LOLOLOL
Old Nov 15th 2004, 3:53 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Tracey.

Great to talk to you this morning. Still had to clean the kitchen though

I got my copy of the UBD from this site:
http://books.buyaustralian.com/front...y=7&submit1=Go

If that doesn't work, go to the main site and do a search under books for it. The ISBN number is 0731916611.

It worked out at $35.95 which equalled about £14 ish.

Good luck.

Penny
Old Nov 15th 2004, 3:53 pm
A former regular of BE

What, a job like yours
Exactly!
Old Nov 15th 2004, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks penny, i ll look at that,it was great to chat to you to,but i still had to go shopping :scared:

tracey.
Originally Posted by moneypen20
Tracey.

Great to talk to you this morning. Still had to clean the kitchen though

I got my copy of the UBD from this site:
http://books.buyaustralian.com/front...y=7&submit1=Go

If that doesn't work, go to the main site and do a search under books for it. The ISBN number is 0731916611.

It worked out at $35.95 which equalled about £14 ish.

Good luck.

Penny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.