Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

gold coast or bayside

gold coast or bayside

Old Nov 12th 2004, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gold coast or bayside

Hi debsy,thanks for your reply,yes i remember looking at the complex your on at the moment,sounds like it could be a good starting point for us,youve certainly made it sound nice,i ll have another look at it.How are you getting on know youve been there a few weeks,finding your way round ok?Are you looking for work yet or are you takeing a holiday first.

tracey.
Originally Posted by debsy
Tracey
The place I sent you the link for in Varisty has furnished and unfurnished units available - maybe you could arrange to rent a furnished one first and then move into an unfurnished when your stuff arrives.

Most areas on the gold coast are near the water.
Old Nov 12th 2004, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

Hi dagboy,thanks for your reply,i, myself wont need to commute but hubby might, not sure yet, he would like to work from home,but if he does he has got a moterbike that he goes to work on know or he might take the train, that should cut the journey down anyway.

Just out of interest,how long would it take to get to cbd in rush hour from bayside how do the two compare?Just trying to get the full picture.

tracey.
Originally Posted by DagBoy
I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but I have to cast serious doubt on that timing. I just found Ashmore on www.whereis.com and after 25 northward scrolls of the map I had got to Loganlea. Another 13 northward scrolls and I had the CBD. Now, when I lived in Loganlea and did the daily commute to Brisbane city, it could take as little as 30 mins, but in rush hour it was more like 50 mins (longer when there was rain or an accident). I find it hard to believe that another 2 times the journey would not add on at least another 40 or 50 mins.

I do not really care if you believe me or not, but If you are seriously thinking of living down on the Gold Coast and working in Brisbane I suggest you wait till you get here and try the journey for yourself a couple of time (in commute time) before deciding where to live.

Cheers,

DagBoy

PS Of course, if you do not need to be near to Brisbane then ignore the above
Old Nov 12th 2004, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi worzel,yes helenvale looks nice doesnt it, rapidly converting then!!I like the look of the lakes around there,im hopeing someone is going to tell,me the area doesnt flood,i know some areas do,varsity lakes look nice as well,thats 3 areas in the gold coast i like,i think we ll find a place to rent close to where we think we would like to settle and have a good look round from there,i dont think we ll be in a hurry to buy cos we need to be sure its for us first,what does sam think about the idea of the gold coast?

tracey.

tracey.
Originally Posted by worzel
I am thinking Helensvale now. I would prefer to get a job in the Gold Coast but if I need to work in Brisbane for a while when I first get there then at least there is a direct train service (1 hour). The citytrain website says there are major plans for improvement too but that is because trains are already full. Still, no worse than when I used to commute into Birmingham and never had any confidence the train would arrive at all
Old Nov 12th 2004, 3:23 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scissors
Hi worzel,yes helenvale looks nice doesnt it, rapidly converting then!!I like the look of the lakes around there,im hopeing someone is going to tell,me the area doesnt flood,i know some areas do,varsity lakes look nice as well,thats 3 areas in the gold coast i like,i think we ll find a place to rent close to where we think we would like to settle and have a good look round from there,i dont think we ll be in a hurry to buy cos we need to be sure its for us first,what does sam think about the idea of the gold coast?

tracey.

tracey.
I just read the headline in The Australian newspapers headlines (the nation) and there was a story about Australia's fading infrastructure alluding to power shortage in Queensland. Any idea what that is all about? May be more of a worry than flooding?
Old Nov 12th 2004, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mmmm sound a bit dubious maybe someone else will know!

tracey.
I just read the headline in The Australian newspapers headlines (the nation) and there was a story about Australia's fading infrastructure alluding to power shortage in Queensland. Any idea what that is all about? May be more of a worry than flooding?
Old Nov 13th 2004, 12:26 am
ABCDiamond

Just out of interest,how long would it take to get to cbd in rush hour from bayside how do the two compare?Just trying to get the full picture.

tracey.
Hi Tracey

Victoria Point to the CBD is about 50 minutes, and that's been for arriving in the CBD at times between 7.30 and 8.30am

From Wynnum/Manly areas it sounds like it may be about 30 minutes.

A couple of examples quotes from the Bayside:
Left the house at Victoria Point at 7.45am, parked in Myer centre Elizabeth Street at 8.29am, and was walking in Queen Street by 8.35am. (44 minutes driving)
I left Victoria Point at 6.45am and arrived at The Mater Hospital at 7.35. That's just a couple of minutes this side of Southbank.

Old Nov 13th 2004, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

nursenancy has a spectacular aura aboutnursenancy has a spectacular aura aboutnursenancy has a spectacular aura about

Mmmm sound a bit dubious maybe someone else will know!

tracey.
Tracey anymore news or decision's on where to live? We leave here on 27th Nov arriving at LHR on 28th Nov at 5am! Fingers crossed for PR application which we'll be lodging Dec/Jan time. If and when we get back here (we're looking at May/June time) we'll be buying land and building up at Noosa. Lovely national parks, great surf, great nightlife without being too in your face if you know what I mean! Have spent last week looking at house builders and land (inbetween looking after ill son)! So we won't be coming back to Vicky Point although it is a fab area, we miss the beach and surf and feel its too overcrowded for us, especially as while in the UK we lived in a tiny village in the middle of nowhere - so this came as bit of a shock! Tis a difficult decision!!!!! Good luck X
Old Nov 13th 2004, 1:09 am
ABCDiamond

I wish I knew
There was a newspaper report SMH that was talking about NSW electricity shortages, and saying As well, the ability of NSW to be able to "import" electricity from Queensland and Victoria during peak demand periods means that its position is more secure than that of some of the other states, which appears to indicate that QLD has plenty to spare ?

However, I think that most power cuts are during storms where trees and branches break the power lines when falling. During the last few weeks I have seen many Energex workers out trimming trees near the power lines.

We have had very few cuts in my area, but then our power lines are mainly underground.

Old Nov 13th 2004, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Hi debsy,thanks for your reply,yes i remember looking at the complex your on at the moment,sounds like it could be a good starting point for us,youve certainly made it sound nice,i ll have another look at it.How are you getting on know youve been there a few weeks,finding your way round ok?Are you looking for work yet or are you takeing a holiday first.

tracey.
Hi Tracey
Thanks a lot, things are fine. The kids are settling in at school and we are looking for a business to buy at the moment. We have found a couple that we like so hopefully we will get it sorted out soon.

Off to take our driving tests next week Have been enjoying myself - had a nice day out shopping with Louisa (robertd) the other day.

Dont forget to PM Gazza2222 about your daughter.
Old Nov 13th 2004, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks ABC, victoria point is the area we are looking at in bayside, so it doesnt look like there is much difference in distance at rush hour than the gold coast?
Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Hi Tracey

Victoria Point to the CBD is about 50 minutes, and that's been for arriving in the CBD at times between 7.30 and 8.30am

From Wynnum/Manly areas it sounds like it may be about 30 minutes.

A couple of examples quotes from the Bayside:
Old Nov 13th 2004, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi nurse nancy,good to hear from you,we re still looking at different places,i think its a good idea to get as much information as you can before going out there.Are you on holiday at victoria point at the momment then,what do you think about the place.I havent looked at noosa i ll make that the next place i look at, surf and nightlife sound good but not to in your face,thats really what we want,its difficult to find the right balance isnt it,how old is your son?good luck with your application.We ve had our police checks and meds so the visas shouldnt be far off the only thing is that royal mail seem to have lost our med even though they have been sent registered post,all we know is that they are in australia but where seems to be a mystery!

tracey.
Originally Posted by nursenancy
Tracey anymore news or decision's on where to live? We leave here on 27th Nov arriving at LHR on 28th Nov at 5am! Fingers crossed for PR application which we'll be lodging Dec/Jan time. If and when we get back here (we're looking at May/June time) we'll be buying land and building up at Noosa. Lovely national parks, great surf, great nightlife without being too in your face if you know what I mean! Have spent last week looking at house builders and land (inbetween looking after ill son)! So we won't be coming back to Vicky Point although it is a fab area, we miss the beach and surf and feel its too overcrowded for us, especially as while in the UK we lived in a tiny village in the middle of nowhere - so this came as bit of a shock! Tis a difficult decision!!!!! Good luck X
Old Nov 13th 2004, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi debs,good luck with your driving tests,leave some shopping for me What kind of business are you thinking of starting,hope you get on ok.i ll get in touch with gazza,ive been waiting to catch him on line.
Let me know how you get on, im really interseted,look forward to meeting up with you once we get there.

speak to you soon, tracey.
Originally Posted by debsy
Hi Tracey
Thanks a lot, things are fine. The kids are settling in at school and we are looking for a business to buy at the moment. We have found a couple that we like so hopefully we will get it sorted out soon.

Off to take our driving tests next week Have been enjoying myself - had a nice day out shopping with Louisa (robertd) the other day.

Dont forget to PM Gazza2222 about your daughter.
Old Nov 13th 2004, 3:29 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

This cracks me up, everytime I notice the thread, yours is the last post. You're keeping it going (5 pages ) on your own - very impressed.
Old Nov 13th 2004, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

sad aint it
Originally Posted by moneypen20
This cracks me up, everytime I notice the thread, yours is the last post. You're keeping it going (5 pages ) on your own - very impressed.
Old Nov 13th 2004, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tracey

Great post! You cant go anywhere else, we`re gonna be neighbours

Chris is gonna go to out for 2 wks in March to do loads of research, do you think Gary would be up for it?

Sue x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.