Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gold Coast Accomodation & things to do

Gold Coast Accomodation & things to do

Old Oct 30th 2009, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about
Default Gold Coast Accomodation & things to do

We are heading to the Gold Coast 1st week of Jan for a weeks hol. We have never been before, can anyone recommend some nice accomodation? We don't like staying in high rise towers (I know there are lots of them :0) so would prefer anything below 10 floors with a pool, bar, clean and well maintained, 10 or 15 min walk to the beach and 20 min or so walk to surfers paradise.

Also if there is anything else you that is worth checking out or doing while we're up there would be good. We will be doing the theme parks water park etc and prob drive to byron bay for the day as well.

Thanks for the help

Mark
Old Oct 30th 2009, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all
Default Re: Gold Coast Accomodation & things to do

Hi
Have you looked at Ashmore Palms Holiday Village, i have known a few family's who stayed there and they were happy with the service/accommodation. It is set back a little from the high rise front but still close enough to everything.

As for things to do, take a trip into the hinterland to Thunderbird Park or one of the winerys, have a look at the natural arch and Mt Tamborine.
Take a trip up Springbrook mountain to some of the fantastic view points which overlook the coast.
Have a day out around the southern end of the coast Coolangatta, Kirra etc , lovely beaches without all the tourists you get at surfers.
There is the Kart track at Jacobs Well, Zorb (the big bubbles you get inside) that flies down the hills, there is loads to do on the coast you really wont get bored! lol

If you are going to Byron, stop at the tropical fruit farm to taste loads of weird fruit!!! Its a great day out.

Cal x
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Tiredwithtwins stayed here a couple of years ago and loved it, bit further away from Surfers but still lots going on.

Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary is great, especially if you have small ones. As Cal says the beaches and life down this end of the coast is far far nicer than the main holiday area of Surfers etc. Get up in the mountains (hinterland), see the Purlingbrook falls, and the tropical rainforest areas.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys for the replies.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Have you tried www.Brisbane-relocations.com they have accommodation and are expats themselves. We stayed at http://www.magicmountain.com.au absolutely stunning views over the ocean and you can see the whales from your room (depending on season). Be warned though there are tons of stairs
Currumbin Sanctuary is great and you will be able to feed the roos and hold the koalas for a photo oppotunity. We did their twilight tour which was also excellent. Sea World is great for the kids as well as Dreamland where you can actually pay to have your photo with a tiger. You could also drive up the mountain and feed the birds you could even stay in a lodge at O Reillys http://www.oreillys.com.au
Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

humpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nice

Good websites to look at are Goldcoast.com.au or Yourcoast.com.au or mygc.com.au, they list everything from accomodation to things to do and local news and weather.

I work in most of the local high rises and apartment blocks, There are plenty around Broadbeach and Surfers Paradise that aren't high rise. In all there receptions they have flyers of all touristy things to do, some you can get discount with if you book via them.

We stayed in a holiday rental when we first moved out here for a few weeks in Southport, Blue Water Bay. Can highly recommend it, All the apartments overlook the pool of which there are 2, kids pool, main pool plus a spa, tennis courts, gym. Underground car park, every apartment gets one car space. It's on the main road so you can easily get bus into surfers and seaworld etc...
Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:21 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

we found a place here http://www.stayz.com.au/

load of great cottages/holiday homes on there, some also with water frontage. We stayed in one a few months back, and I managed to get at least an hours fishing in every evening :-)
Old Nov 11th 2009, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

The OP wants somewhere to stay on the Gold Coast for a week and I am not allowed to tell them that we have a place that we let out? Surely that is relevant information and it is totally up to the OP if they want to look at our place or not. I don't feel that 1 post in 6 months would constitute a deliberate ad campaign on my part.
A lot of Expats have stayed at our place and loved it. We had 95% occupancy last year so believe me I am not touting for business, but thats ok, send em to stayz to trawl through hundreds of places, I only promote our place because I love it. It isn't a business, it's my family's holiday home that we let out because otherwise we wouldn't be able to cover the costs. This is ridiculous censorship.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by doub
The OP wants somewhere to stay on the Gold Coast for a week and I am not allowed to tell them that we have a place that we let out? Surely that is relevant information and it is totally up to the OP if they want to look at our place or not. I don't feel that 1 post in 6 months would constitute a deliberate ad campaign on my part.
A lot of Expats have stayed at our place and loved it. We had 95% occupancy last year so believe me I am not touting for business, but thats ok, send em to stayz to trawl through hundreds of places, I only promote our place because I love it. It isn't a business, it's my family's holiday home that we let out because otherwise we wouldn't be able to cover the costs. This is ridiculous censorship.
Hi Doub,
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I booked somewhere else about 3 days before you posted. I add that to my favourites for the future. Thats 2 ads now in 6 months lol.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 1:01 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't feel that 1 post in 6 months would constitute a deliberate ad campaign on my part.
I don't think that the 1 post bit was why it was deleted. I had a search through your posting history to see what all the fuss was about. All of your posts (except for about 2) since April 2008 have been about Gold Coast accomadation where your place has been mentioned.

From what I can see from your posting history I haven't seen you contribute anything to the forum, other than to pop on and mention you happen to have a place to let. I certainly wouldn't call it ridiculous censorship, I probably would have done the same thing. As you have mentioned in previous posts you are on the Stayz website so if there are interested in your place they will likely find you anyway.

I should say that your place looks very nice although it's a pity it doesn't have a price listed. Personally I never bother with enquiring unless the rates are clearly stated... if I don't see a rate I just move on. That's just me though.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by markbhx
Hi Doub,
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I booked somewhere else about 3 days before you posted. I add that to my favourites for the future. Thats 2 ads now in 6 months lol.
Hi Mark, great to hear you have something booked, hope you enjoy the Gold Coast mate .... You should try: Chiangmai Thai Restaurant, Sage (for Breakfast) O'Reilly's, Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary and skywalk at Tamborine

Disclaimer: I have no financial gain or business involvement with any of these attractions.

cheers

Mark
Old Nov 11th 2009, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by comet555
I don't think that the 1 post bit was why it was deleted. I had a search through your posting history to see what all the fuss was about. All of your posts (except for about 2) since April 2008 have been about Gold Coast accomadation where your place has been mentioned.

From what I can see from your posting history I haven't seen you contribute anything to the forum, other than to pop on and mention you happen to have a place to let. I certainly wouldn't call it ridiculous censorship, I probably would have done the same thing. As you have mentioned in previous posts you are on the Stayz website so if there are interested in your place they will likely find you anyway.

I should say that your place looks very nice although it's a pity it doesn't have a price listed. Personally I never bother with enquiring unless the rates are clearly stated... if I don't see a rate I just move on. That's just me though.
Thanks for the feedback, you are right about the pricing thing btw how did your husband get on with the helicopter training?
Old Nov 11th 2009, 1:14 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the feedback, you are right about the pricing thing btw how did your husband get on with the helicopter training?
He's still thinking about it, it'll have to wait until we get back to Canada though.

I've been trying to convince him just to learn to fly regular planes for fun rather than trying to make a career out of it. I'm sure he'd love the job but I don't think any of us would like the lifestyle that comes with it (if he was lucky enough to find work!). So it seems to be on hold at the moment. He will definitely learn to fly though whether it be for fun or as a career.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by comet555
He's still thinking about it, it'll have to wait until we get back to Canada though.

I've been trying to convince him just to learn to fly regular planes for fun rather than trying to make a career out of it. I'm sure he'd love the job but I don't think any of us would like the lifestyle that comes with it (if he was lucky enough to find work!). So it seems to be on hold at the moment. He will definitely learn to fly though whether it be for fun or as a career.
I've done a little time in fixed wing and in my opinion he should go for rotor .... way more smiles to the dollar!
Old Nov 11th 2009, 1:33 am
Canuck/Aussie

I've done a little time in fixed wing and in my opinion he should go for rotor .... way more smiles to the dollar!
Yes... well he's dying to go for the helicopters. It's just the fear of not finding any work at all when he's done I think. Plus he'd be away from home a lot and I'm not sure that what any of us want. Who knows though.... it's his call but I'm glad he's got lots of time to think about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.