Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

GOLD COAST ACCOMODATION

GOLD COAST ACCOMODATION

Old Jun 24th 2007, 6:03 pm
ENS121

paulhomer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GOLD COAST ACCOMODATION

Hi. My Partner and I are due to go to Gold Coast in January. I am starting a course at Ashmore Campus. We need accommodation suitable for a couple but, like most people, our budget is tight. Anybody got any suggestions?
Old Jun 24th 2007, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

jdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud of
Default Re: GOLD COAST ACCOMODATION

Hi

What course are you doing at Ashmore Campus?

Paul is starting Bakery/Hospitality Management there in July 2008.

There is a thread which I started about GC accommodation. Loads of ideas in there with websites etc. Doub has a place www.broadbeachapartment.com which looks wicked!! Sambo76 has stayed there too. It is a bit further down but if you have a car should be OK.

We have been looking for accommodation for when we go in June 2008 but decided to wait tilll Andrew gets school leaving date before we decide when to go. Hope to go a bit earlier than planned, ie mid June instead of end June.

Good luck.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 6:33 am
ENS121

Hi Jo.

Thanks for that. How do I get to the thread you started about accommodation?

I am doing Marine Construction. It starts end January so we'll leave early new year I guess. Are you applying for your student visa yourself or through an agent. Decided to do it myself as money is tight, especially since Laura and I can only work 20 hours per week max. Still, worth it in end hopefully!

Your time will fly by. Its really not that long. bet you all can't wait!
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

jdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paulhomer
Hi Jo.

I am doing Marine Construction. It starts end January so we'll leave early new year I guess. Are you applying for your student visa yourself or through an agent. Decided to do it myself as money is tight, especially since Laura and I can only work 20 hours per week max. Still, worth it in end hopefully!

Hi Paul

Try searching for my name (jdraper) or "gold coast accommodation".

We are applying ourselves. Didn't seem much to do. We have received the coe and have just sent off for Andrew's school coe, so waiting for that. Can't apply for visa till next year as course doesn't start till July.

We have just sold our house and will move into rented accommodation shortly. Wanted to do that so we could have ready cash and be able to "drop and go" when we are ready instead of worrying about not being able to sell the house. Also money will be earning interest instead of paying mortgage!!

The 20 hours a week does worry us but its a means to an end?? Still you can work full time during the holidays though as you are the visa holder. Paul will be working doing that while I am sitting on the beach once I've done my 20 hours!!!
Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:03 am
Just Joined

fancypants is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jo.

Hello Paul,

Looks like your on the same course as myself, starting at the end of Jan 2008.

Who did you get to organise your health cover?

Cheers,

Neily
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:05 am
ENS121

Hi. Are you studying at TAFE Ashmore campus, Gold Coast? Be nice to meet someone else who is! Health was part of TAFE agreement and paid with first semester study fees.

Are you going alone or with partner? You looke at accomodation yet?
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:16 am
Just Joined

fancypants is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. Are you studying at TAFE Ashmore campus, Gold Coast? Be nice to meet someone else who is! Health was part of TAFE agreement and paid with first semester study fees.

Are you going alone or with partner? You looke at accomodation yet?
Hi. Yep I'm studying marine craft construction at TAFE Ashmore campus, starting feb 2008. Already starting to shit myself....what have i done??? . i3 of us going me, OH and my 5 year old son Max. We've just started looking for accomodation but have not got a clue at the moment. What do you think of our chances of employment with this 20 hr rule?
Old Jun 26th 2007, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

Hi. My Partner and I are due to go to Gold Coast in January. I am starting a course at Ashmore Campus. We need accommodation suitable for a couple but, like most people, our budget is tight. Anybody got any suggestions?
If you are looking for cheap accommodation have a look at www.ashmorepalms.com.au and look up interim accommodation.

Not sure what its like but its in the Ashmore area and its cheap and popular with people relocating here- it was full up when we were looking 2 years ago

Best wishes,
Sherie

www.migratemates.com
Old Jun 26th 2007, 4:57 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jo.

Very jealous! That is a course I would love to do! Cannot justify becoming a full time student though - would be too much of a shock to the system after working full time for the last 19 years!!
Old Jun 27th 2007, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

Originally Posted by fancypants
Hi. Yep I'm studying marine craft construction at TAFE Ashmore campus, starting feb 2008. Already starting to shit myself....what have i done??? . i3 of us going me, OH and my 5 year old son Max. We've just started looking for accomodation but have not got a clue at the moment. What do you think of our chances of employment with this 20 hr rule?
Your chances are pretty good! I am an agent for the GC TAFE and a local migration agent and I know this course. Riviera the biggest local boat builder goes into the TAFE and interviews people from the course to work 18hours a week (2 days). Other local boat builders would also be interested as this is the only course of its kind in the whole of Oz so theres high demand for people who have done it or are doing it.
It may not pay huge bucks initially, about $17/18 an hour at Riviera I believe when you start but you can do very well later on.

There was a story the other week in the paper showing a former builder who became a boatbuilder and hes now building boats for Billy Joel and the like.......he said he was looking to expand his workforce but quality tradesmen were thin on the ground.

So you just got to through the training

Sherie

www.migratemates.com
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:18 am
ENS121

Thanks for that Sherie. Maybe we could use your services in the future if your a migration agent? To your knowledge, is there any way of partner doing full time work and not being limited to 20hrs? Thing is at present, as course is two years, both of being limited to 20hrs for 2 years is going to be hard. Maybe My partner Laura could do a shorter course enabling her to work full time after completion. What do you think?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:42 am
ENS121

Originally Posted by fancypants
Thats cool. look at sherie's reply about working hours. Nice to know!
You'll have keep me posted about how your accommodation search progresses. Still seems a while away, especially as can't apply for visa's until October!
Old Jun 27th 2007, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that Sherie. Maybe we could use your services in the future if your a migration agent? To your knowledge, is there any way of partner doing full time work and not being limited to 20hrs? Thing is at present, as course is two years, both of being limited to 20hrs for 2 years is going to be hard. Maybe My partner Laura could do a shorter course enabling her to work full time after completion. What do you think?

Thanks for your help.
Hi Paul,
Basically as with primary applicants all initial student visas granted to dependents have a mandatory no work condition 8101. Once in Australia and after you have commenced study your partner can apply for a new student visa with condition 8104 which permits work up to 20 hours per week. However theres no work condition if you or she applied for a 573,574 or 576 student visa ie those studying a masters or a doctorate, which your boat building course isn't unfortunately.

If she has the skills and qualifications she could apply for another visa eg. 457 or a skilled visa. I presume from what you said you think she won't qualify.If you're not sure PM me and give me background info on whats shes done and I'll try and advise.

If shes unskilled and you could afford it she could apply for a 16 month course (must be a course of 16 month + to apply for skilled visa) and be finished July 09, your course will finish in mid December 2009. Once shes done this she can apply for the new Graduate Skilled visa which will have unrestricted work rights., so she can then work full time.

Another option might be to rent your house out in the Uk but most students have to sell up to afford the course....I know

It can be difficult managing on 20 hours but you'll love the GC, just tends to be busy in January high season (main school hols) so make sure you prebook some accommodation.
All the best with it all!
Sherie

www.migratemates.com
Old Jul 8th 2007, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

yogibear1 will become famous soon enough

Hi Jo.

Hey Paul,

I was reading that you are doing a Marine Construction Course at TAFE, Ashmore. Im am also doing this course. It seems there are a few on this site that are also on the course. Would be nice to keep in touch as Im finding the whole Hoo Har a bit overwhelming.

I have an agent who is doing all the leg work for me and I am now enrolled and paid up for the 1st installment of the course.

Im have decided to fly out on the 9th Jan to get myself settled in, find a place to rent, get a bike and start looking for a job. When do you fly out and who have you decided to fly out with?

I hope we'll get the chance to meet up once we're there

James
Old Oct 7th 2007, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

GaznEm is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: GOLD COAST ACCOMODATION

Hi, I'm due to start on the Marine Craft Construction course in July 2008. I have paid all fees and OSHC and have just got the COE from Gold Coast TAFE. Me and my partner are hoping to apply for visa soon. Does anybody know whether there is a mimimum time for doing this before starting the course? We hope to go out there about 6 weeks before the course starts to find rentals etc. Does anybody know whether we would have to get a ETA visa to do this or does the student visa allow you entry before the course starts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.