Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

going without visa being granted

going without visa being granted

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:09 am
Just Joined

JAGK is an unknown quantity at this point
Question going without visa being granted

Hi there, just wondered if anyone has gone out to Oz to wait for their visa to be granted rather than kicking their heels in the UK, if so how did you get your visa granted, where did you go offshore to get it granted, Bali/NZ?

We are in the position where both our contracts finish in July but our visa is not likely to be granted until Oct/Nov, so we are thinking of taking the kids and just going on a recce rather than arrive in Oz just before summer hols (December) when its difficult to get to see schools etc.

Anybody else done anything similar, I’d love to hear how it turned out
Thanks graham
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

eve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to all
Default Re: going without visa being granted

Hi

We are planning to spend some timein Bali inbetween jobs finishing and arrival to Oz, however i hope we would have our Visa first, think its scary enough moving so far let alone with no real definate place to go! but then maybe you are a bit braver than I

I suppose if you've had your meds and done all you need for application then it would be cheaper and far nicer to hang in out in Bali, we've been to Bali a few times and would happily live there if we could

go for it if your agent and you are pretty damn sure there wont be any complications, might just see you there

eve
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Bailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to all

My partner and I are doing this - we have no children. We are waiting for a decision on the 175 which we expect around september. We are using a working holiday visa(whv) as we are going to Oz in July to travel around. As we bought a one way ticket we would not have got through immigration on a tourist visa so this is why we got a whv.
Do you think you will be getting a one way or return ticket?

I think its a really good idea if you can afford to not work for that time.
We plan on going to NZ(the north island) while our visas are being issued.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Red face Re: going without visa being granted

Thanks Eve, not sure what the position is, someone else told me that you can't hold one visa (visitors) while applying for another (perm residency), will have to wait for agent to reply
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:57 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAGK
Hi there, just wondered if anyone has gone out to Oz to wait for their visa to be granted rather than kicking their heels in the UK, if so how did you get your visa granted, where did you go offshore to get it granted, Bali/NZ?

We are in the position where both our contracts finish in July but our visa is not likely to be granted until Oct/Nov, so we are thinking of taking the kids and just going on a recce rather than arrive in Oz just before summer hols (December) when its difficult to get to see schools etc.

Thanks graham
I wouldn't recommend it to be honest. My MIL came out while her visa was still being processed. Unfortunatley the law caught up with her and sent her packing back to the UK. She did return 9 months later with a full visa, only to find out she has lung cancer
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Hi Bailey1, we are sadly to old for a WHV so we'll have to get a tourist visa, on the whole it seems more expensive to stay in the UK for this amount of time and wait rather than go, best of luck Graham
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:01 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks graham
As long as you are in possession of a return ticket and you inform your case officer what you are doing so they can notify you when they are ready to grant I can't see any reason why not.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Bailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to all

Thanks Eve, not sure what the position is, someone else told me that you can't hold one visa (visitors) while applying for another (perm residency), will have to wait for agent to reply
I visited an Australian Expo and talked to a representative from the Australian Immigration Department. We told the rep what our plans were with regard to travelling over before we received our 175 visa. She said that it was no problem applying for the two visas once we let them know about it.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

We might be doing this, but I did asked my agent, and he said as long as immigration know where you, are you can get you visa put in your passport at that country.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:06 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bailey1
As we bought a one way ticket we would not have got through immigration on a tourist visa so this is why we got a whv.
Do you think you will be getting a one way or return ticket?
I've entered Oz on a tourist visa with a one way ticket on at least 3 occasions, no one at immigration has ever even asked to see evidence of onward travel documentation.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I wouldn't recommend it to be honest. My MIL came out while her visa was still being processed. Unfortunatley the law caught up with her and sent her packing back to the UK. She did return 9 months later with a full visa, only to find out she has lung cancer
Thats very sad. I hope things work out ok for her. When she came over originally did she have a valid visa?
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bcworld
I've entered Oz on a tourist visa with a one way ticket on at least 3 occasions, no one at immigration has ever even asked to see evidence of onward travel documentation.
Ye I heard that its fine most times but that they can stop you so we weren't willing to take the chance.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:08 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bailey1
Thats very sad. I hope things work out ok for her. When she came over originally did she have a valid visa?
No, she didn't have a valid visa, it was still going through, but she thought it would complete while she was here on her 3 month visitors visa. She never bought a return ticket, so immigration sent her back to UK.
God knows how she passed her Xrays with 2nd stage cancer.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Hi Bailey1, we are sadly to old for a WHV so we'll have to get a tourist visa, on the whole it seems more expensive to stay in the UK for this amount of time and wait rather than go, best of luck Graham
Maybe you could buy an onward ticket to NZ(or where ever you want to go while your visa is being issued) and that would solve the problem of getting through immigration?
With regard to actually receiving the 175 visa, I am not overly anxious as my partner has been told that he can get sponsored while we are over there if the 175 is not issued to us.